Saints Longest TD passes by A.B. (Brooks) (1 Viewer)

When Brooks was “on” he was super dangerous and could spin it with any QB in the league... When he was “off” though... he was atrocious...and his big, indifferent, smile after bad INTs was just awful
Definitely a bad look. At the time, to me, it said oh well, like he didn't care.

When Brooks was “on” he was super dangerous and could spin it with any QB in the league... When he was “off” though... he was atrocious...and his big, indifferent, smile after bad INTs was just awful
The padding of his chest as to say "my bad" always annoyed me.

He did throw darts though. Do wonder how he would have been with Payton as his coach??

I always thought he might be a little too over cautious. But atrocious?

I think Brees' worst games were on par with Brooks worst games, if not worse (not counting the Katrina year). The last four games of the 2007 season, with 1 TD and 9 INTS, was especially horrid. Or the 1st Falcons (0 TD, 5 INT) game in 2012.

Especially bad games happen to all QBs.

Give Brooks a few more years with fontenot at center and Bentley at guard.
And, a full recovery on that shoulder, and he would've been up there in regards to qb stats. Instead you get a season high int game. Passing backwards and to lineman.
They should've let him stay with the "yardball'. He was spectacular at with Willie Jack.
People hate ab for some of his personality traits they wouldn't care if he went 50td to 1 int. They hate him cause of the smile on that one.

Give Brooks a few more years with fontenot at center and Bentley at guard.
And, a full recovery on that shoulder, and he would've been up there in regards to qb stats. Instead you get a season high int game. Passing backwards and to lineman.
They should've let him stay with the "yardball'. He was spectacular at with Willie Jack.
People hate ab for some of his personality traits they wouldn't care if he went 50td to 1 int. They hate him cause of the smile on that one.
The backward pass didn't help his reputation, either. I still can't figure out what in the world he was thinking.

It's strange to me that our best statistical QB before Brees is also the most hated. While the most beloved Saints QB wasn't very good statistically and never had a winning season.

Watching Brooks could be frustrating because he never tucked it and ran when he should and the Int reactions were the worst. But for the most part Brooks was a lot of fun to watch. Those Mike McCarthy offenses were fun to watch because I had never seen a Saints offense function at such a high level.

I always thought he might be a little too over cautious.

Possibly the first time in recorded history I've seen Aaron Brooks described as "over-cautious".

There were some instances in 2003 (which was when he only threw 8 INTs, oddly enough)....where it seemed like he would just randomly lose control of the football and fumble, even if no one contacted him. 14 fumbles that season.....11 of which were lost.

Nevertheless, for all the credit Payton and Brees rightfully get for the team's offensive success.............it was really the Haslett/Brooks combo that gave us our initial taste of what an explosive offense could be. All the 8-8 seasons and then 2005 happening seemed to wipe that way from the memories of those who didn't consistently follow the Saints.

When I was watching Brooks on that late 2000 run to the playoffs...............I was convinced that he was about to be the next major NFL star. I've said this before.......that was sort of an odd QB time in the NFL.............because Marino and Elway had both retired within the last few seasons. There was Favre and Warner..........and Peyton was showing that he had a bright future ahead...........but there was no Brady yet as a starter......Vick hadn't yet been drafted......McNabb was only in his second year..........Hasselbeck was still backing up Favre.......Culpepper was still in his first year as a starter. There just really wasn't an overflow of superstar QBs at that point.........and I really thought Aaron Brooks would eventually get there.

I don't know if it was the backward pass play but there's one play that Deuce was asked about and his response was, "He called a play that didn't exist."

I remember the Rams game in 2001. Daughter was born at 3pm that Sunday. I caught the last few minutes of the game at the hospital.

When I was watching Brooks on that late 2000 run to the playoffs...............I was convinced that he was about to be the next major NFL star. I've said this before.......that was sort of an odd QB time in the NFL.............because Marino and Elway had both retired within the last few seasons. There was Favre and Warner..........and Peyton was showing that he had a bright future ahead...........but there was no Brady yet as a starter......Vick hadn't yet been drafted......McNabb was only in his second year..........Hasselbeck was still backing up Favre.......Culpepper was still in his first year as a starter. There just really wasn't an overflow of superstar QBs at that point.........and I really thought Aaron Brooks would eventually get there.
How do you expect anyone to read this?

I forgot how great Willie Jackson was for a couple of years there. My Grandma had a stuffed Willie Jackson doll she’d watch the games with for good luck .

Brooks and Willie Jackson had some serious chemistry.

I wasn't following Saints rumors online back then.....so was there any particular reason that Jackson only lasted 2 seasons here?

How do you not consider bringing a guy back who just had 80 catches for 1k yards in 2001?

Wikipedia shows he didn't do much afterward.........signing with the Falcons in 2002 (somehow I have zero recollection of that) and getting released just a few months into the season. After that, the Redskins signed him, and he was cut by December. Apparently he was nowhere in 2003, before joining the Broncos in 2004......but got released in preseason.

Can't tell if the Saints spotted some issue before anyone else, or if his style of play was just more suited to Brooks at QB.

The backward pass didn't help his reputation, either. I still can't figure out what in the world he was thinking.
I remember that game. I remember Deuce being back there at one point, so his last thought was probably instead taking a sack he probably thought Deuce was still back. We were so out of sync in a lot of games, really unprepared. It showed.

Last edited:
I remember that game. I remember Deuce being back there at one point, so his last thought was probably instead taking a sack he probably though Deuce was still back. We were so out of sync in a lot of games, really unprepared. It showed.

In either 2003 or 2004, I can remember a game Tim Ryan did (typically those games didn't end well for the Saints) in which he was discussing the Saints and their inconsistency by saying something like "the Saints are like having a supermodel for a girlfriend, but she always has a headache".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom