Look at the remaining schedule, whats your analysis? (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
Studying the remaining schedule is important if you think this team can make a run.

Dick Vermiel once said that it’s OK to go .500 against teams with winning records, but the key is to not play too many games against winning teams.

We have played some tough opponents so far Raiders (4-1), Giants (2-3), Atlanta (4-1), SD (1-4) and we currently stand 1-3, but after some hard fought losses, and finally breaking through to get a win,this schedule is going to open up over the next 5 weeks as we face only 2 teams with a winning records. If there was a time to turn it around, it started in SD, and it will finish at Carolina.

The great news in this is that Breaux and Rankins will be returning from injuries. Those two should take our defense to a whole new level, and even help us surprise a few opponents.

Looking at the final 12 games of the season, where do you think this team will finish?

I see the schedule playing out like so:

Carolina W
@Chiefs W
Seahawks L
@49ers W
Broncos W
@ Carolina W
Rams L
Lions W
@Bucs W
@Cards L
Bucs W
@Falcons L

9-7, is that enough to get us into the playoffs? It probably wont get us there, but I view this as a rebuilding year, and next year will be our major run.

insidejob's picks:

Carolina W - We're rested and ready. they're coming off a short week.
@Chiefs W - They are beatable. Blow outable acutally.
Seahawks W - Relying on Domefield advantage coming back to prove who's got the loudest fans!
@49ers W - Who knows what this team will look like by then?
Broncos L - #1 D vs #1 O possibility. If our D has gotten Breaux and Rankins back...we could even do some damage here.
@ Carolina W - Thursday Night Game in those awesome throwback-like color rush uniforms.
Rams L - They've just got our number. Maybe we turn the tables this year
Lions W - Payback for having that game stolen from us last year
@Bucs W - We're gonna sweep them this year.
@Cards W - They really look just as inconsistent as we do, but with many less injuries.
Bucs W - Same reason as the other Bucs game
@Falcons W - Ain't getting swept by the dirty birds. just not happening under Payton's watch.

If we get our main contributors back from injury and they stay healthy, I think this is possible.

If not healthy, strike off two or three of those wins.

No way do the Falcons sweep us under Payton. I don't think that's ever happened.

There is honestly 0 games on our schedule that I am looking at that I can say will be a win. There's a lot we should win but that hasn't worked out very well for us thus far. Getting some key players back from injury in time for a late push may allow us to sneak into the playoffs, but we will see. I think we could finish 5-11 just as easily as 9-7.

I tell ya, I just think that they will need to win more games than they lose going forward to have a successful season.

QampA-John-Madden-surprised-by-rookie-successes-LTJLVUR-x-large.jpg

We're in a boat. Floating down a creek named ****e. And someone lost the dang paddles.

Sorry, I can't help but be cynical based on what I've seen.

On a more serious note, the Saints currently sit two games back in the loss column for a wild card berth. Going forward, they would have to win the same number of games as the Buccaneers, Cardinals, and Lions. They would have to win one more game than the Giants due to that loss. They would need a two game advantage for the remaining schedule to pull even with the Eagles and Packers.

The Giants are struggling at the moment, and the Bucs don’t look very formidable. You would assume that Wentz eventually hits a bit of a snag in his current run, and the Lions are always good for a collapse or four. So, in that scenario, the Packers would waltz in as the top wild card, and the Saints and Cardinals would be battling for the second berth. But that would necessitate a marked improvement for New Orleans in several facets of the game, and a whole lot of assumptions on my part coming to fruition.

Pragmatically, I’d give the Saints about a 30% shot to get to the postseason at this point. But I’m all about the long shots these days, so I’m feeling very hopeful that things turn out favorably for this franchise.

Carolina W
@Chiefs W
Seahawks L
@49ers W
Broncos L
@ Carolina L
Rams W
Lions W
@Bucs L
@Cards L
Bucs W
@Falcons L

Don't forget, the Falcons have a history of mid to late season swoons. If that happens, and we catch them in the last game, that isn't out of the realm of possibility. 9-7 or 10-6 might be enough to catch them if they do slump at some point.

Carolina L
@Chiefs L
Seahawks L
@49ers L
Broncos L
@ Carolina L
Rams L
Lions W
@Bucs L
@Cards L
Bucs W
@Falcons W

4-12

Carolina W
@Chiefs W
Seahawks W
@49ers W
Broncos W
@ Carolina W
Rams W
Lions W
@Bucs W
@Cards W
Bucs W
@Falcons W

To be honest, we could win or lose any one of them with about equal probability. Judging by how inconsistent most of the teams have been, it looks much less like a murderers row and more like we have a legitimate chance on any given Sunday depending on health.

Studying the remaining schedule is important if you think this team can make a run.

Dick Vermiel once said that it’s OK to go .500 against teams with winning records, but the key is to not play too many games against winning teams.

We have played some tough opponents so far Raiders (4-1), Giants (2-3), Atlanta (4-1), SD (1-4) and we currently stand 1-3, but after some hard fought losses, and finally breaking through to get a win,this schedule is going to open up over the next 5 weeks as we face only 2 teams with a winning records. If there was a time to turn it around, it started in SD, and it will finish at Carolina.

The great news in this is that Breaux and Rankins will be returning from injuries. Those two should take our defense to a whole new level, and even help us surprise a few opponents.

Looking at the final 12 games of the season, where do you think this team will finish?

Carolina W
@Chiefs W
Seahawks L
@49ers W
Broncos W
@ Carolina W
Rams L
Lions W
@Bucs W
@Cards L
Bucs W
@Falcons L

9-7, is that enough to get us into the playoffs? It probably wont get us there, but I view this as a rebuilding year, and next year will be our major run.

I have a feeling you're going to be a little disappointed in some of those picks. :D
Sweeping Carolina and Bucs along with a win over Denver and in KC? The KC pick maybe....the others highly doubtful.

Carolina L
@Chiefs L
Seahawks L
@49ers L
Broncos L
@ Carolina L
Rams W
Lions W
@Bucs L
@Cards L
Bucs W
@Falcons L

That's what I see and while it may be on the wrong side I bet we're closer to 4-12 than 9-7

I think a better draft position would be more of a win then an 8-8ish record,considering this teams needs....or, our W/L will be directly proportional to how many snaps Roman plays ....

What did people see durning the SD game to predict beating teams like KC, CAR, Den, and LA, etc? I have seen nothing to led me to believe we will beat many NFL teams. I hope I'm wrong but that is what I see on the field.

Carolina L
@Chiefs L
Seahawks L
@49ers W
Broncos L
@ Carolina L
Rams L
Lions L
@Bucs W
@Cards L
Bucs L
@Falcons L

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom