Look Back at 2001 SI Draft Projection (1 Viewer)

. . . Haslett probably screwed his career by (allegedly) making Deuce add on extra pounds. Made him a bit heavy for the kind of runner Deuce was.

Haslett screwed his career in 2003 when he kept Jake Delhomme on the bench in order to play an injured and attitude-faulty Aaron Brooks, costing us what should have been a cinch playoff berth.

And please, don't any of you flame me for a pro-Delhomme comment. I would not want to trade Drew Brees for anyone. This is just my remark on Haslett's bullheadedness in sticking with a starter who was physically incapable of getting it done.

Deuce ran back kicks back in the day. Haslett probably screwed his career by (allegedly) making Deuce add on extra pounds. Made him a bit heavy for the kind of runner Deuce was.

he did the same thing to ricky.

made him report at 240 and he was always injured. i think the next year he got traded to miami and lost 15-18lbs and led the league in rushing.

"26 DOLPHINS
Drew Brees, QB, PURDUE Hard decision. No one wants to put pressure on Jay Fiedler, but Brees is too productive to pass up this low in the draft."

So nice, they passed on him twice!!!! Miami just NEVER really wanted Brees, huh?

Haslett screwed his career in 2003 when he kept Jake Delhomme on the bench in order to play an injured and attitude-faulty Aaron Brooks, costing us what should have been a cinch playoff berth.

And please, don't any of you flame me for a pro-Delhomme comment. I would not want to trade Drew Brees for anyone. This is just my remark on Haslett's bullheadedness in sticking with a starter who was physically incapable of getting it done.

The comment was about Haslett screwing Deuce's career, not his own.

Geez that draft was bust-tastic. Looks likeit should have been Brees 1, LT 2, and Seymour 3.

Geez that draft was bust-tastic. Looks likeit should have been Brees 1, LT 2, and Seymour 3.

Bust -tastic? The order may have been wrong but that draft was LOADED with future HoF talent -

Brees
LT
Seymour
Hutchinson
Steve Smith of the Panthers

are just a few a names that pop out. And there's a ton of good players that aren't quite HoF material - Deuce, Heap, Stroud, Clements, Crumpler, etc.

Brees or Jay Feidler.....wow the draft is a monster lol......what a deal the chargers got in getting Brees and LT.....to bad for them. And what would have happend if the Falcons kept Brees......or Favre for that matter lol.

They never had Brees. They drafted Favre and traded him but the Vick trade was done before the night before the draft.

On another note, boy was the 2001 draft good or what?

Bust-tastic??? That's an incredible talent pool for a single draft. Especially given how many players there are who were great for a time but that have fallen off (Justin Smith, Marcus Stroud, Andre Carter, Morgan). Even the pseudo-busts had some very good years, ala Chris Chambers (such a wasted talent - drafted by the wrong team).

It's always nice to put drafts in perspective. If we were to look at each draft from say 95 to 02 and look at who had good and bad careers, I think people would start to rethink the "trade up for XXXXX player!" mentality and start thinking trade down for more 2nd round picks (roll those dice).

The draft is such a HUGE gamble in any round. The odds just get worse after rounds 1 and 2. I actually think that round 2 is the best round to get several picks in. If we were offered two 2nd round picks or one 1st round pick in any trade, I would hope we would choose the two 2nd round picks.

Lol...

First three QBs off the board (in order): Mike Vick, Drew Brees, Quincy Carter.

Good Lord.

Deuce ran back kicks back in the day. Haslett probably screwed his career by (allegedly) making Deuce add on extra pounds. Made him a bit heavy for the kind of runner Deuce was.

Yea I didn't get that about the Haslett "regime"... they always seemed to want their backs to gain weight. They had Ricky Williams up at 240 or 250 at one point. After we trade him to Miami he gets down around 220 (I think he now plays around 215) and has the best season of his career (like 1,800 yards) regularly ripping off big runs that he never pulled off in NOLA.

I don't know if it was Deuce or the coaches who decided he should gain weight, but I think combined with the general wear and tear, it probably contributed to his knee problems and definitely shortened his career.

I understand a lead back beefing up to carry the load, but the ones who enjoy longevity usually keep their weight down.

Plus 1. I think they really didn't want to showcase Jake and were trying to keep him on the cheap because it was his contract year; but I also think that 3 and 7 completion to Joe Horn to seal the deal vs Tampa (the slant route Jake threw when Brooks was out at the end of that game) was enough to open eyes.

Looks like the Panthers built the core of their Super Bowl team in that draft's first 3 rounds:

Dan Morgan, Kris Jenkins, and Steve Smith...

Then, they whiffed on Chris Weinke but we obliged them by giving up Delhomme.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom