Look for Reggie to Have a Breakout Game... (1 Viewer)

nolastyle

The Future Has Arrived
Reaction score
There are a few reasons why I think Reggie Bush will have a breakout game against the Bills. Not necessarily just running the ball, but definitely catching out of the backfield. I mean around 200 yards of total offense with multiple TDs. The main reason has nothing to do with Reggie though, it's because of the defense the Bills play.

First, let's look at the Bills style of defense. They rarely play man-to-man against good QBs, and don't blitz often. They run a soft Tampa Two to limit big plays, opting instead to give up short passes and long drives, in the hopes of forcing an offense to become impatient, and make mistakes. A graphic of a soft Tampa Two (courtesy of the Bears SBNation site):

tampa2jpg.jpg

Instead of the CBs jamming receivers at the line and controlling the flats as in a typical Cover 2 defense, the Bills CBs play 5-10 yds off the line, and drop back 10-15 yds after the snap, helping to minimize the weakness of a typical Cover 2 D, which is deep outs between the corners and safeties.

Playing this type of defense means the short check-downs are almost always there. Let's take the game vs the Pats for example. A rusty Tom Brady completed 27 of his 39 passes to backs, TEs, and Wes Welker. These passes only earned 8.5 yds/catch (as opposed to Drew with 13.1 yds/catch through two games). But, they allowed the Pats to rack up almost 400 yards through the air, and eventually led to the LBs cheating up more, even without the thread of a running game. This is one of the reasons Ben Watson got behind them for both 4th quarter TDs in the deep middle of the field, another weakness in the Tampa Two.

Now, we all know of Reggie's ability to catch out of the backfield. He's one of the best receiving backs in the league. With the CBs and LBs dropping 10 yards off of the ball at the snap, swing screens, bubble screens, and in general every checkdown that Reggie runs can be deadly. I fully expect him to have at least 10-15 rushes, as well as 10-12 catches. And with his ability to run in the open field, watch out Buffalo.

Let's go Reggie, prove to yet another fanbase that you ARE one of the most dangerous weapons in the NFL!

**Note** Please keep the Reggie bashing to a minimum. It's perfectly okay to be skeptical. It isn't okay to expect him to fail. Thanks.

Sounds good to me! :9:

I hope Reggie gets more carries than that, but everything else looks great.

I hope Reggie gets more carries than that, but everything else looks great.

He probably will get more carries than that, with Bell out.

I think PT takes the "lead back" role this game. He only had one offensive play against the Eagles, but he was the up-back for every kickoff. But, you both could be right. We'll see in about 14 hours.:ezbill:

Don't we traditionally have problems with teams that run the "Tampa 2"....(Tampa, Chicago, Indy)????

Don't we traditionally have problems with teams that run the "Tampa 2"....(Tampa, Chicago, Indy)????

We have problems with teams that play the Tampa 2 in rain and snow.:hihi:

Indy really outplayed us no matter what defense they were in. We weren't ready for that buzzsaw.

Once again, I love the optimism for 25 but I'll be the first skeptic. I don't see reggie getting more than 10 carries, and maybe 18 touches this game. I think PT gets the bulk of the carries. Reggie, Heath, and Ham split carries. While I will agree this is almost the perfect scenario for Reggie to have a big game, I'm less confident he will. He hasn't shown since December(?) of last year against Atlanta's soft run-d that he can break one. Here's to proving me wrong!:crossfingers:

One very common, weekly reply; "Look for Reggie to Have a Breakout Game".
Every Saint fan hopes so of course, but man is that a not a burnt out statement!

Best wishes to reggie and our team.. I hope Reggie show up big in the game, running and catching. I hope he scores 3 TD's.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom