Looking Back At Our Draft Class (2 Viewers)

D-Mac26

Who Dat?
Reaction score
1. Reggie Bush
2. Roman Harper
4. Jahri Evans
5. Rob Ninkovich
6. Mike Haas
6. Josh Lay
7. Zach Strief
7. Marques Colston

This might be the best draft class in the history of the Saints. I know they're just rookies, and time will tell, but it looks like we got 2 super steals in Jahri Evans and Marques Colston. It's not often rookies make an impact like these 2 have; both should go to the Pro Bowl and Colston should be a starter. Before injury, Roman Harper looked like the captain of our defense, and I expect him to return from injury and be a fixture in our defense for several years. Rob Ninkovich played very well and with a lot of energy before his injury, and I don't see that changing once he gets healthy. Zach Strief played great against a top DE last week; not bad for his first playing time, and even better considering the broken fingers he was playing with. And then there's Reggie Bush. He has been great for us, despite his inablility to run the ball. He will learn how to run in the NFL, and I believe he will be a great player some day. Hopefully it will be before season's end.

It looks like all 6 of these players mentioned above will be Saints for quite some time, with 2 being superstars in this league. Not bad for Payton and company's first draft.

1 good player away from the best draft class from any team, any year. Prove me wrong someone.

dont forget Rob Ninkovich was contributing before he got hurt...

We had a pretty good draft in 1986...
1 Jim Dombrowski
2 Dalton Hilliard
3 Rueben Mayes
3 Pat Swilling

Not saying what year wa sbetter....but this isn't the first year we've had a good draft.

"Best draft ever, by any team" is kind of a reach.

Last edited:
Being a saints fan can be a reach too sometimes but i wont ever quit. ;)

1 good player away from the best draft class from any team, any year. Prove me wrong someone.

Any team, any year? Ok....

1974 Steelers

Round 1 - Lynn Swann, WR
Round 2 - Jack Lambert, LB
Round 4 - John Stallworth, WR
Round 5 - Mike Webster, C

If we get four hall of famers out of this draft class, we might be able to compete...But I think it's a bit early for that talk.

OK, not bad but its not easy to find one. I really think SP will continue choosing high quality players year after year in the draft. What a neat concept.

Before Harpers injury I actually thought he was the best draft pick. But Colston sure has changed my mind.
Bush was a different story. I think we needed him (and he needed the Saints). I see a long time love affair between Bush and the Saints fans (move over A Manning! - Bush is a true super star)

Any team, any year? Ok....

1974 Steelers

Round 1 - Lynn Swann, WR
Round 2 - Jack Lambert, LB
Round 4 - John Stallworth, WR
Round 5 - Mike Webster, C

If we get four hall of famers out of this draft class, we might be able to compete...But I think it's a bit early for that talk.

man that was a good draft - webster was the original Beast

as far as our class - we can also add in Thomas and Faine

but another thing regarding Josh lay and Hass - even though Payton drafted them , he saw they didnt fit and let them go instead of hanging onto them ala Haz- Cie grant

Add two veterans to that draft class(2006) as well because they were a direct result of trading down a couple of spots in 2 different rounds. Jeff Faine & Hollis Thomas have both had huge impacts on their respective lines. (Faine as the QB of the O-line and Hollis as the big run stuffer in the middle of the D-line.) I think these 2 are a big reason, for the success so far this season..

Last edited:
I agree this has the potential to be the best draft class in history. Do we still have Lay on the PS ? I liked what I saw from him in limited action. Since we're comparing this class to: Hilliard, Mayes, Dombrowski, Swilling this is what I feel we need from this years big 4.

Bush - He could justify this being the best class if he reached his potential, however just becoming a solid starter and threat would be good enough.

Colston - Obviously the steal of the class, maybe the steal of the decade (including Brady) This guy has Pro Bowl written all over him. He plays like TO, hopefully won't act like him. EXTEND HIM NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ninkovich - He just has to produce like Mayes did, Reuben really didn't do much for this franchise, just a few good years and when you look back at the numbers you really can't call them that. Even Hilliard when you look at the numbers weren't really great players, they rode the dome patrol.

Streif - After what I saw Sunday I'm really impressed. I think he can become our bookend on the right side if they move him there.

Bush > Hilliard (potentially)
Colston > Swilling (potentially)
Nincovich < Dombrowski
Streif = Mayes (tossup)

you could also include the tremendous job the personnel people have done in the other roster transactions:

-letting howard, bentley, jacox, brooks, bouman, f. brown, hakim, hodge, a. smith, d. smith, a. thomas all leave...some could have contributed (maybe) but look at the $$ saved

-trading away sullivan, gandy, stallworth, watson, m. bennett...on some of these we got nothing back, but we got addition by subtraction

-free agent/waiver wire pickups...groce, deloatch, copper, lake, brees, fujita, campbell, clark, weatherford, etc have all contributed

-existing roster changes...stinchcomb, j. brown, etc. home runs so far

all in all a masterful job. not sure if it would be possible to do any better

I agree this has the potential to be the best draft class in history. Do we still have Lay on the PS ? I liked what I saw from him in limited action. Since we're comparing this class to: Hilliard, Mayes, Dombrowski, Swilling this is what I feel we need from this years big 4.

Bush - He could justify this being the best class if he reached his potential, however just becoming a solid starter and threat would be good enough.

Colston - Obviously the steal of the class, maybe the steal of the decade (including Brady) This guy has Pro Bowl written all over him. He plays like TO, hopefully won't act like him. EXTEND HIM NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ninkovich - He just has to produce like Mayes did, Reuben really didn't do much for this franchise, just a few good years and when you look back at the numbers you really can't call them that. Even Hilliard when you look at the numbers weren't really great players, they rode the dome patrol.

Streif - After what I saw Sunday I'm really impressed. I think he can become our bookend on the right side if they move him there.

Bush > Hilliard (potentially)
Colston > Swilling (potentially)
Nincovich < Dombrowski
Streif = Mayes (tossup)

So you are leaving out Harper and Evans?

This was one of the best drafts I'd seen from the Saints in a long time. We got four starters out of it plus a couple of other guys that will contribute. Too bad about the injuries though. I would also have to say this was the best offseason overall for the Saints when you take into account the draft, free agency, and trades.

One of the coolest trades this year was the Stallworth for
Simoneaux AND at least a 4th rounder!!!!!
I still giggle at the media(especially eastern dumb donkeys) thinking about their, "Eagles get best of Saints in trading for Stallhammy..."
Even though I have much love for Donte's class......
Also,
Shanle to Dallas for next year's 7th rounder!!!
Wow!!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom