Looking back at the GOP's 2012 Election "Autopsy" (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
After Republicans lost the 2012 presidential election, the party convened a committee to evaluate why the party failed to win, and what the party needs to do in the next presidential election. The report, released in March 2013 was well-researched, honest, and welcomed by those in the party and those outside of the party. What You Need to Read in the RNC Election-Autopsy Report - The Atlantic

Atlantic editors summarized the report in saying "It's an astonishingly frank document that calls for major changes in how the party addresses minorities, women, and its own campaign processes." The summary excerpt link is above, and the full report is linked in the summary.

Fast-forward to three and a half years later, it's hard to imagine a campaign less appealing to key minorities and women than the one run by Donald Trump. Not only has the party's 2016 White House campaign failed to reach out to key demographics identified in the report, it has (at times) patently insulted and marginalized them. The campaign has also alienated demographics that the GOP has long hoped to increase in favor, most notably the Jewish community - https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...n-jews-away-from-the-republican-party/506735/

I suppose that the good thing is that the party won't need to do another report after this election. They already did it four years ago.

From the report:

If we believe our policies are the best ones to improve the lives of the American people, all the American people, our candidates and office holders need to do a better job talking in normal, people-oriented terms and we need to go to communities where Republicans do not normally go to listen and make our case. We need to campaign among Hispanic, black, Asian, and gay Americans and demonstrate we care about them, too. We must recruit more candidates who come from minority communities.
. . .

If Hispanic Americans perceive that a GOP nominee or candidate does not want them in the United States (i.e. self-deportation), they will not pay attention to our next sentence. It does not matter what we say about education, jobs or the economy; if Hispanics think we do not want them here, they will close their ears to our policies. In the last election, Governor Romney received just 27 percent of the Hispanic vote. Other minority communities, including Asian and Pacific Islander Americans, also view the Party as unwelcoming. President Bush got 44 percent of the Asian vote in 2004; our presidential nominee received only 26 percent in 2012.

As one conservative, Tea-Party leader, Dick Armey, told us, "You can't call someone ugly and expect them to go to the prom with you. We've chased the Hispanic voter out of his natural home."
. . .

The RNC must improve its efforts to include female voters and promote women to leadership ranks within the committee. Additionally, when developing our Party's message, women need to be part of this process to represent some of the unique concerns that female voters may have. There is growing unrest within the community of Republican women frustrated by the Party's negative image among women, and the women who participated in our listening sessions contributed many constructive ideas of ways to improve our brand with women throughout the country and grow the ranks of influential female voices in the Republican Party.
:scratch:

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
After Republicans lost the 2012 presidential election, the party convened a committee to evaluate why the party failed to win, and what the party needs to do in the next presidential election. The report, released in March 2013 was well-researched, honest, and welcomed by those in the party and those outside of the party. What You Need to Read in the RNC Election-Autopsy Report - The Atlantic

Atlantic editors summarized the report in saying "It's an astonishingly frank document that calls for major changes in how the party addresses minorities, women, and its own campaign processes." The summary excerpt link is above, and the full report is linked in the summary.

Fast-forward to three and a half years later, it's hard to imagine a campaign less appealing to key minorities and women than the one run by Donald Trump. Not only has the party's 2016 White House campaign failed to reach out to key demographics identified in the report, it has (at times) patently insulted and marginalized them. The campaign has also alienated demographics that the GOP has long hoped to increase in favor, most notably the Jewish community - https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...n-jews-away-from-the-republican-party/506735/

I suppose that the good thing is that the party won't need to go another report after this election. They already did it four years ago.

From the report:

:scratch:
The very nature of their "conservatism" prevents them from accomplishing any of these things.

not2rich

NO State of Mind
Reaction score
The autopsy was pretty soundly rejected by the GOP base, cultivated over the years with dog whistles and culture wars. As it turns out, the base was cultivated beyond control of supposed GOP leaders. So for the foreseeable future, the GOP is the party of white male identity politics. For conservatives who reject that notion, realize you are outnumbered. The party doesn't belong to you anymore. You can either try to co-opt the Libertarians, or create a new party.

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If I can make a comparison, it's like a person stuck at the drive thru window after being told by a doctor about a diabetes diagnosis.

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The autopsy was pretty soundly rejected by the GOP base, cultivated over the years with dog whistles and culture wars. As it turns out, the base was cultivated beyond control of supposed GOP leaders. So for the foreseeable future, the GOP is the party of white male identity politics. For conservatives who reject that notion, realize you are outnumbered. The party doesn't belong to you anymore. You can either try to co-opt the Libertarians, or create a new party.
Or don't get beat in the primaries. Coalesce behind one candidate - don't let them win with a plurality, and contrast those identity politics by reminding the voters over and over again that the other candidate can't win a general election. Trump rarely got more than 40% in the primaries but the others (several of whom might have beaten Hillary) refused to take one for the team.

Saintshizzle

G.O.M.A.B
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Or don't get beat in the primaries. Coalesce behind one candidate - don't let them win with a plurality, and contrast those identity politics by reminding the voters over and over again that the other candidate can't win a general election. Trump rarely got more than 40% in the primaries but the others (several of whom might have beaten Hillary) refused to take one for the team.
You can't cure cancer by treating for diabetes, bc you are afraid of losing them as a patient. You have to gain moral courage and tell the patient that they are dying, and need immediate life saving procedures.

Racist, sexist, xenophobic, jingoistic, nationalistic, authoritarian, strongman talk can move people in Russia, where the country is still 80% white and a throwback to yesteryear...

But you are becoming a dying animal in the Browning of the Great USA!

saintmdterps

If we give ya the boogie, can ya handle it?
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The very nature of conservatism is anathema to change. When I hear the rhetoric spewed in my neck of the woods I am very un-sorry for the woes of the Republican party. I hope they get their clocks cleaned down-ballot, and I hope their obstructionist ways in admittedly dysfunctional Washington DC cost them more votes, and ultimately result in a left-leaning SCOTUS for many years to come.

J-Donk

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
There wasn't anyone to really get behind this year, and I think that was the major issue. I think Paul Ryan should have ran. Jeb has the charisma of a gym teacher; Cruz everyone hates; Rubio turned into a malfunctioning robot; Christie is a fat bully with a huge scandal; Kaisch came on a little to late. Ryan would have done well in the Midwest were HRC was really weak this cycle.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
If we believe our policies are the best ones to improve the lives of the American people, all the American people, our candidates and office holders need to do a better job talking in normal, people-oriented terms and we need to go to communities where Republicans do not normally go to listen and make our case.
Here's the problem right here. They KNOW their policies are failed policies, hence the divide and conquer campaign tactics.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Actually the crowded R primary field makes the case for a two party system. Trump didn't get a majority of the votes from his own party, but still won because the reasonable candidates split the reasonable voters. I was taught in history long long ago that this was how Hitler rose to power in Germany. Once a fascist has power they are really good at punishing opposition and consolidating their personal power. If Trump loses today, I will feel that America dodged a very real, scary bullet.

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
Actually the crowded R primary field makes the case for a two party system. Trump didn't get a majority of the votes from his own party, but still won because the reasonable candidates split the reasonable voters. I was taught in history long long ago that this was how Hitler rose to power in Germany. Once a fascist has power they are really good at punishing opposition and consolidating their personal power. If Trump loses today, I will feel that America dodged a very real, scary bullet.

I agree with you about this showing a strength of the two party system. It keeps the fringes out of power.

I don't think we've dodged a bullet.

Trump will not win this election, but his followers aren't going anywhere. Trump is in control of a movement. A scary fascist movement. It doesn't evaporate after today, infact, it will only get more ****** off.

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They should have put "don't nominate Donald Trump" to the autopsy report, because that was just about the only way to lose this cycle.

mb504

Word.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">lol, just found this video of Donald Trump in December 2012 saying if GOP doesn&#39;t pass immigration reform they won&#39;t ever win again. <a href="https://t.co/ElHVFCgKgB">pic.twitter.com/ElHVFCgKgB</a></p>&mdash; andrew kaczynski (@KFILE) <a href="https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/795758519022747649">November 7, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)