Looking back: Hollywood Horn, and the Meachem decision (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
Some (...not all, but some) thought that the FO was nuts for letting Joe Horn go to the Falclowns last year. Many predicted images of Joe catching passes for long-gainers and TD's vs. our beloved BlackAndGold. :covri:

Err, ummm... that didn't happen, folks. :nono:

Loomis and Co. are to get huge props for letting Horn take Airline Hwy to I-10 east to I-65 into Atlanta. He arrived there as their self-proclaimed "teacher" of Atlanta's WR's ...to bring them to the next level (and become Pro-Bowlers).

Here's the article on Horn from a year ago: Horn Promises to Be a Leader for Atlanta

When you look back at it, losing Horn was a minus that had an overall plus effect. Now don't get me wrong... Meachem is still an "unmeasured" quantity. But given the thin selection of WR's in the 2008 draft, we're sitting in a better position. And it is likely that Meachem will be a big addition to the Saints' offensive arsenal. :cool:

JMHO

:gosaints:

I get your point, but if Horn had stayed here the next year he would have still caught quite a few passes from Drew. Specifically, Horn was good at catching first downs and finding the seam in coverage.

In Atlanta, he arrived as the Michael Vick implosion hit. There was no one to throw it to him. It wasn't like he showed up and dropped 50 passes. They had no offense, no team.

Just my two cents. I think the Saints would have been better served to keep him. But, I think he would have been alot smarter to take a pay cut and end up retiring from the Black and Gold in a few years.

Horn would have been better served to finish his career out in Green Bay, where there was far more stability at QB and he knew the head coach/offense.

He chose instead to play for a team where he could show up the Saints coaching stafff and FO twice a season.

Horn was a mistake, sure Horn didn't produce with the merry go round at qb he had in atlanta, but he would have here, and his leadership for our young crew would have been priceless. I do understand the dollars and cents of it , and wish he would have taken the deal, and don't blame management for going another direction.

Meachem was a mistake, but hopefully not a complete loss, if he produces in the next two years maybe we will get something, not worth the money we spent , but something.

Funny...Roddy White had no problem getting 1200 yards this past year. Thats not to say Atlanta didn't have QB problems, because they did, but thats a copout to blame that entirely for Horns struggles.

Sometimes players are just done. Horn is one of those players. No matter where he would of ended up he still would of gotten injured and struggled to gain 300 yards recieving. The guy should of retired a Saint, but I understand him wanting to get that one final payday and don't look down on him for it. I would of done the same thing.

And Meachem was not a mistake. He was an excellent pick and if drafted this year would be top 15 easily. We also had big needs at WR last year and would of this year.

Horn was a mistake, sure Horn didn't produce with the merry go round at qb he had in atlanta, but he would have here, and his leadership for our young crew would have been priceless. I do understand the dollars and cents of it , and wish he would have taken the deal, and don't blame management for going another direction.

Meachem was a mistake, but hopefully not a complete loss, if he produces in the next two years maybe we will get something, not worth the money we spent , but something.

Actually, if we're talking leadership/production, then that would be David Patten and in that regard, it was a wash.

The difference was this was supposed to be Devery Henderson's "break out year" and it wasn't. Meachem not being able to supplant him was the difference.

Am I missing something or did Joe Horn not look like he had a piano on his back last year? The dude is slow. I love Hollywood, but his time has come. Age and injuries have caught up to him. The QB merry go round may have cost him 10 catches, but his lack of physical ability is the biggest factor. I think if ATL had it to do over again (even if they had Vick last year), they would have never signed Joe to that contract (at least for as much money as he got).

Actually, if we're talking leadership/production, then that would be David Patten and in that regard, it was a wash.

Leadership a wash, yes (for the most part, although Patten brought none of the "look at me!" BS which had come to be associated with Horn over the last 2-3 seasons).

Production a wash? :smilielol:

David Patten:
<table class="tablehead" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="stathead" align="center" bgcolor="#c6a876"><td align="left">Stat Overview</td> <td colspan="5">Receiving</td><td colspan="5">Rushing</td><td colspan="2">Fumbles</td></tr> <tr class="colhead" align="right"> <td align="left">SPLIT</td><td>REC</td> <td>YDS</td> <td>AVG</td> <td>LNG</td> <td>TD</td> <td>ATT</td> <td>YDS</td> <td>AVG</td> <td>LNG</td> <td>TD</td> <td>FUM</td> <td>LST</td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow" align="right"> <td align="left">2007</td> <td>54</td> <td>792</td> <td>14.7</td> <td>58</td> <td>3</td> <td>2</td> <td>-5</td> <td>-2.5</td> <td>1</td> <td>0</td> <td>2</td> <td>1</td></tr></tbody></table>

Joe Horn:
<table class="tablehead" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="stathead" align="center" bgcolor="#000000"><td align="left">Stat Overview</td> <td colspan="5">Receiving</td><td colspan="5">Rushing</td><td colspan="2">Fumbles</td></tr> <tr class="colhead" align="right"> <td align="left">SPLIT</td><td>REC</td> <td>YDS</td> <td>AVG</td> <td>LNG</td> <td>TD</td> <td>ATT</td> <td>YDS</td> <td>AVG</td> <td>LNG</td> <td>TD</td> <td>FUM</td> <td>LST</td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow" align="right"> <td align="left">2007</td> <td>27</td> <td>243</td> <td>9.0</td> <td>26</td> <td>1</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0.0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td></tr></tbody></table>
Not even close.

Well, I guess we revisit this issue. The FO made an offer which it thought was fair. Joe Horn thought he could do better money-wise, and he did. The Saints didn't "let him go." Did his production measure up to his salary level in 2007, or was that cap money the Saints saved put to better use?

Leadership a wash, yes (for the most part, although Patten brought none of the "look at me!" BS which had come to be associated with Horn over the last 2-3 seasons).

Production a wash? :smilielol:

David Patten:
<table class="tablehead" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="stathead" align="center" bgcolor="#c6a876"><td align="left">Stat Overview</td> <td colspan="5">Receiving</td><td colspan="5">Rushing</td><td colspan="2">Fumbles</td></tr> <tr class="colhead" align="right"> <td align="left">SPLIT</td><td>REC</td> <td>YDS</td> <td>AVG</td> <td>LNG</td> <td>TD</td> <td>ATT</td> <td>YDS</td> <td>AVG</td> <td>LNG</td> <td>TD</td> <td>FUM</td> <td>LST</td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow" align="right"> <td align="left">2007</td> <td>54</td> <td>792</td> <td>14.7</td> <td>58</td> <td>3</td> <td>2</td> <td>-5</td> <td>-2.5</td> <td>1</td> <td>0</td> <td>2</td> <td>1</td></tr></tbody></table>

Joe Horn:
<table class="tablehead" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="stathead" align="center" bgcolor="#000000"><td align="left">Stat Overview</td> <td colspan="5">Receiving</td><td colspan="5">Rushing</td><td colspan="2">Fumbles</td></tr> <tr class="colhead" align="right"> <td align="left">SPLIT</td><td>REC</td> <td>YDS</td> <td>AVG</td> <td>LNG</td> <td>TD</td> <td>ATT</td> <td>YDS</td> <td>AVG</td> <td>LNG</td> <td>TD</td> <td>FUM</td> <td>LST</td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow" align="right"> <td align="left">2007</td> <td>27</td> <td>243</td> <td>9.0</td> <td>26</td> <td>1</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0.0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td></tr></tbody></table>
Not even close.

I only meant had Horn played here instead of going to Atlanta, he probably would have put up similar numbers as Patten.

Obviously, Patten put up better numbers having a Pro Bowl caliber QB throwing to him instead of the three stooges.

I only meant had Horn played here instead of going to Atlanta, he probably would have put up similar numbers as Patten.

Pure speculation, and I would disagree. He couldn't stay healthy, and that was the biggest part of his downfall. The bang-for-buck factor just wasn't working in his favor. Patten came in and produced solid numbers for a lot less than what we'd have paid Joe.

Horn is done. I loved the guy when he was here, respect the hell out of what he did for the franchise and for the city, but his time has come and gone. I won't let the warm & fuzzies from days gone by get in the way of making an honest evaluation of the way things are (as opposed to the way I wish they could be).

Obviously, Patten put up better numbers having a Pro Bowl caliber QB throwing to him instead of the three stooges.

It's a fair statement until we factor in the Roddy White part of the equation. As has been mentioned, White didn't seem to be too phased by the situation in the ATL.

The question wasn't was Horn better than Patton playing for the Falclowns. The question is would Horn have been productive playing for the Saints.

If, he took the paycut and accepted a smaller role in the receiving corps, yes he would. Drew throws to whoever is open. Anyone that watched Joe over the years could see his catch and "outrun the defense to the endzone" days were long gone. But as a possession guy that gets open for the clutch catch just over the first down marker.

He was still doing that his last year here.

His ego has shortened his career. I don't fault the FO on their decision.

As much as I hated to see Horn go, the FO knew what they were doing when they drafted Meachem. Horn probably was going to a good situation with a mobile QB in Vick, great RB in Dunn, and a decent Defense, but things just went upside down for the Falcons last season.

The decision to let Joe go was hard but ultimately it was the right one. #87 had a great career with this team but his best days were behind him. His ego was the reason he refused to accept a smaller role and a pay cut. its hard to accept that if you are a good player like Joe was. I still think maybe some moderation could been used by both sides, but Joe played it all out by signing to the Falcons.

This team has a great future ahead of it and we need some young key contributors that can take us to the playoffs again. a 36 year old receiver does not help us in any way

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom