Looking for a new digital camera (1 Viewer)

that blows, but I'm sure with everything there is always the chance of getting a lemon.

oh and DomePatrol.. no posting in the photos of the months threads :nono:

lol

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RrVxcc2ZV0I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RrVxcc2ZV0I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

is this a good camera?

179 is a bit expensive

I wish $179 was a bit expensive for a camera. That's about average for a compact P&S. Canon, Panasonic, and Olympus are my preference for compact P&S cams, but many brands make decent models.

I suggest holding a few cameras in your hand before buying to decide what layout you prefer. Narrow your choices by deciding on form factor and if you want an optical viewfinder, image stabilization, or ruggedization/waterproofing. I would pick a lens that starts around 28mm (35mm equiv) or less since extra wide angle is useful for casual/indoor photography. If low light performance is important then choose a camera with image stabilization, a fast lens (large aperture/low f-number), and good high ISO performance for the class. A few models are drop/shock proof and waterproof if you need it for demanding environments or activities. Don't be concerned with megapixels and digital zoom.

For more info check DP Review and Imaging Resource for reviews of most models and comments in the forums.

Reading the reviews on the nikon it looks like it lacks in picture quality. I often take pictures at night and indoors with not the best lighting.

Canon PowerShot SD970 IS is the model I have. It's a great P&S camera but I am sure there are newer models now.

Get a DSLR. You can use it as a PAS but you can by different lenses for it. When you start learning how to use it you'll be so glad you did it.

Right now on Amazon you can get a Canon T1i for about $700. That comes with a zoom lens. It's 15 Mps and shoots 1080 hd video too. 15 Mps means you can print 16x20 easily. At it's highest quality setting it will shoot 3 pics a second and if you tune it down to lower resolutions jpg it shoot even faster. Once you learn a little bit about the controls you can take pictures that rival the pros.

If that price tag is too high for you can still get a really good SLR for around $400. You can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon but Olympus and Sony make some really good cameras too. You should go for at least 10 Megapixels though.

Thanks but im really looking for below 200. The nikon previously mentioned seemed cool but i cant buy it if it doesnt take good pictures in dark light and if the picture quality isnt great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom