Looking for a new digital camera (1 Viewer)

DomePatrol2005

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I dont know much about digital cameras however I do know I am looking to take quality pictures and have a decent zoom. Most will just be casual family and friend pictures. I am looking for a good deal im sure there are some in this holiday season. Thoughts?

If it's just for casual use, point-and-shoot should work fine.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better PAS camera than the DMC-FH20:

PanasonicLumixDMC-FM20-300x300.jpg

Yatwoman has the 2009 version and I was so impressed with its imagery and features, I picked up the 2010 version at Costco for $150.

Very highly recommended.

Here's another vote for a modern point and shoot. The new ones power up very quickly, focus and shoot quickly, can shoot HD video in a lot of cases, and will run you less than $200 probably. I like Canon, but you need to figure out which manufacturer has menus and controls that make sense to you. Read your manual!

I'd suggest going to best buy and trying them all out and seeing which one has the interface you like.

I have an older Casio Exilim, and I like it a lot. The pictures come out pretty good, I think. I have a thread a few weeks ago about a trip i took to Normandy and one a few months ago to Scotland that have a few pics in there. You can get an idea of the quality. It's perfect for the general use that I require.

Here's another vote for a modern point and shoot. The new ones power up very quickly, focus and shoot quickly, can shoot HD video in a lot of cases, and will run you less than $200 probably. I like Canon, but you need to figure out which manufacturer has menus and controls that make sense to you. Read your manual!

I have tried a few different brands, but Canon is by far my favorite. I love my Canon PowerShot. I do not remember which model I have but there are a lot to choose from. It takes great pictures in all kinds of light, has very decent zoom for a camera that fits in my pocket and takes good video, too. Also, make sure you get a high speed memory chip like a SanDisk Extreme. It will make your camera much faster to use.

I'm also looking for a new digital camera. I'd had a nice Olympus that had 7x optical zoom (I like zoom) but it go dropped and broken by someone a few months back. I was looking at the Canon Powershot that has something like 12x or 14x zoom.

I'm also looking for a new digital camera. I'd had a nice Olympus that had 7x optical zoom (I like zoom) but it go dropped and broken by someone a few months back. I was looking at the Canon Powershot that has something like 12x or 14x zoom.

That one has a popup flash that I hear is kind of annoying. I have not tried out that model personally so I do not know for sure. I know it is bigger than mine, though. I paid a little more money for my current one than I did my previous 2. It has 5x optical which is pretty good and in daylight, the digital zoom actually works very very well. It's the first camera I have ever owned that I didn't disable the digital zoom because it actually works well.

That one has a popup flash that I hear is kind of annoying. I have not tried out that model personally so I do not know for sure. I know it is bigger than mine, though. I paid a little more money for my current one than I did my previous 2. It has 6x optical which is pretty good and in daylight, the digital zoom actually works very very well. It's the first camera I have ever owned that I didn't disable the digital zoom because it actually works well.

I didn't realize it had a pop-up flash. I need to do my research and determine what I want because I plan to get one duty-free in the Carib at the end of the month.

I'm borrowing a friend's for this weekend but disappointed in his zoom level (3x), especially for being in Seattle. Oh well, beggars can't be chosers.

is this a good camera?

179 is a bit expensive

It's a Nikon, but it can't be bad. The price is more than most because it projects your pictures onto flat surfaces which is pretty freakin cool. I was more less just throwing it out there because I thought it was cool.. it's definitely not something you'd "need"

It's a Nikon, but it can't be bad.

:nono:

The Coolpix I bought several years ago was the worst piece of work camera I've ever owned. In the shop much more than out.

And this coming from a 25-year fan. Nearly all my other cameras and opticals have been Nikons.

:nono:

The Coolpix I bought several years ago was the worst piece of work camera I've ever owned. In the shop much more than out.

And this coming from a 25-year fan. Nearly all my other cameras and opticals have been Nikons.

that blows, but I'm sure with everything there is always the chance of getting a lemon.

oh and DomePatrol.. no posting in the photos of the months threads :nono:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom