Looking for a new grill Redux (1 Viewer)

I never understood the justification for getting an expensive grill. Especially with gas, which has limited uses anyway compared to charcoal. I can see shelling out $$$ for a good charcoal smoker, however, though honestly never had experience with them. Maintaining an even temp is a real ***** with a cheapo smoker, and I have always ended up having to move my food around as the difference in heat near the firebox and the exhaust is quite extreme.

Check into pellet smokers. They will grill also and they smoke great foods.
My wife bought me a camp chef woodwind a few years back. This one has a seat box that gets up to 900 degrees. I love it. I do wish they would’ve had the new one that is a step up in grilling but the same setup as far as smoking and searing. They are great but a little on the expensive side. Mine was around $900.

I never understood the justification for getting an expensive grill. Especially with gas, which has limited uses anyway compared to charcoal. I can see shelling out $$$ for a good charcoal smoker, however, though honestly never had experience with them. Maintaining an even temp is a real ***** with a cheapo smoker, and I have always ended up having to move my food around as the difference in heat near the firebox and the exhaust is quite extreme.

It’s already been said here, but there’s a pretty big difference in quality.. anecdotally , it seems that lots of folks are ok with spending $300 or $400 on a grill that they’ll replace every couple of years, vs a high quality one that might last a decade.. the Weber i saw at Costco today comes with a 10 yr warranty, and i think in a lot of cases they last even longer.. plus, and i’ve never grilled on anything other than a Weber, but from what i understand, it’s kinda like what you were saying about smokers, a high quality grill will cook more evenly and just better overall.

I need to hurry up and get to work so I can move out of this condo. Grilling options are pretty limited here. I'd like to rent/buy a house so we can do some grilling at home. It's one of the things I miss most about living in a house as opposed to a condo.

I don't think it has "limited uses" at all, though. So I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I grew up on charcoal and prefer charcoal. BBQ'ing and smoking. Moving here, I learned quickly that BBQ means, essentially, grilling with gas. And that's what my wife grew up doing. And I've learned that there are benefits to an nice gas grill.

• It's convenient - a school night, with limited time, I can fire up the grill and have chicken done nearly in the time it takes my coals to catch. And it's faster than smoking something for hours, which is something usually saved for the weekends.
  • it's easy to use - my wife didn't grow up with charcoal and doesn't feel as comfortable with it, so for her going to the backyard and opening a valve and turning a knob to get heat is something she can manage
  • the temperature is easy to keep consistent if I'm grilling for a long period of time (in those cases, the Charcoal Weber is probably going, too)
  • more expensive, if it means better parts, helps the longevity of the product. Canadian winters can be nasty and being able to weather weather is really important, so 10-year and lifetime warranties/coverage for parts is really worthwhile. Whether you're talking about sealing in heat or insulation of the body or resisting rust or electrical/gas components.
  • BTUs - a more expensive grill can get a lot hotter than a cheaper grill. And as someone who really likes the ability to sear something strongly, this is valuable. Cheaper models don't have the same heat potential.
  • smoking - I have smoked, more than once, on a gas grill. It's not hard and, in fact, it's preferable to having to moderate temperatures on, say, a Weber kettle - which I've done many times. But I've also found myself at cottages or camps with no charcoal grill but with my little smoker box, I can do a pretty solid job with less need to monitor the temperature and change things around.
  • excellent option to the indoor oven. During the summers, because they are so beautiful up here, we spend a lot of time with the A/C off. If we cook in our kitchen, though, it can get hot in a short period of time. So being able to take everything outside and have a cooking surface with different, controllable heats is really good. I can bake a potato on one part of the grill, while roasting corn on another, while searing stakes on another. And I can change the intensity of the direct heat just by turning a knob like I do on my stovetop in the house, except I'm not heating the kitchen up.
All of these things are made easier, more durable, and more consistent with a pricier gas grill and/or give the gas grill a lot of functionality and demonstrates, imo, a versatility that's more than 'limited.' In fact, I'm not sure I - as a HUGE fan of charcoal - could really make a case that charcoal is somehow so much more versatile. Generally speaking, the family enjoys things on charcoal more than gas, for sure. I also prefer it. But the gas grill definitely has a place.

I don't think it has "limited uses" at all, though. So I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I grew up on charcoal and prefer charcoal. BBQ'ing and smoking. Moving here, I learned quickly that BBQ means, essentially, grilling with gas. And that's what my wife grew up doing. And I've learned that there are benefits to an nice gas grill.

• It's convenient - a school night, with limited time, I can fire up the grill and have chicken done nearly in the time it takes my coals to catch. And it's faster than smoking something for hours, which is something usually saved for the weekends.
  • it's easy to use - my wife didn't grow up with charcoal and doesn't feel as comfortable with it, so for her going to the backyard and opening a valve and turning a knob to get heat is something she can manage
  • the temperature is easy to keep consistent if I'm grilling for a long period of time (in those cases, the Charcoal Weber is probably going, too)
  • more expensive, if it means better parts, helps the longevity of the product. Canadian winters can be nasty and being able to weather weather is really important, so 10-year and lifetime warranties/coverage for parts is really worthwhile. Whether you're talking about sealing in heat or insulation of the body or resisting rust or electrical/gas components.
  • BTUs - a more expensive grill can get a lot hotter than a cheaper grill. And as someone who really likes the ability to sear something strongly, this is valuable. Cheaper models don't have the same heat potential.
  • smoking - I have smoked, more than once, on a gas grill. It's not hard and, in fact, it's preferable to having to moderate temperatures on, say, a Weber kettle - which I've done many times. But I've also found myself at cottages or camps with no charcoal grill but with my little smoker box, I can do a pretty solid job with less need to monitor the temperature and change things around.
  • excellent option to the indoor oven. During the summers, because they are so beautiful up here, we spend a lot of time with the A/C off. If we cook in our kitchen, though, it can get hot in a short period of time. So being able to take everything outside and have a cooking surface with different, controllable heats is really good. I can bake a potato on one part of the grill, while roasting corn on another, while searing stakes on another. And I can change the intensity of the direct heat just by turning a knob like I do on my stovetop in the house, except I'm not heating the kitchen up.
All of these things are made easier, more durable, and more consistent with a pricier gas grill and/or give the gas grill a lot of functionality and demonstrates, imo, a versatility that's more than 'limited.' In fact, I'm not sure I - as a HUGE fan of charcoal - could really make a case that charcoal is somehow so much more versatile. Generally speaking, the family enjoys things on charcoal more than gas, for sure. I also prefer it. But the gas grill definitely has a place.

I've had no luck smoking on a gas grill. Even at the lowest temp setting with one burner, it is impossible to keep the temp below 300, which is way too hot for any decent smoke. Also, I've never had success getting any smoke using chips.

Gas grill is fine for burgers, dogs, anything that cooks quick. For thicker cuts like tri tip, pork loin leg of lamb though, when the juices start dripping down, I end up with an inferno which will quickly burn the meat. This can be partially mitigated by moving the meat around and wrapping in foil, but I've found that charcoal I don't have to worry about this and I always get superior results. Especially with a kettle.

I've had no luck smoking on a gas grill. Even at the lowest temp setting with one burner, it is impossible to keep the temp below 300, which is way too hot for any decent smoke. Also, I've never had success getting any smoke using chips.

Gas grill is fine for burgers, dogs, anything that cooks quick. For thicker cuts like tri tip, pork loin leg of lamb though, when the juices start dripping down, I end up with an inferno which will quickly burn the meat. This can be partially mitigated by moving the meat around and wrapping in foil, but I've found that charcoal I don't have to worry about this and I always get superior results. Especially with a kettle.

Personally, I've had luck keeping a gas grill at 225-250 with three burners, which has been fine. And I have also had no problem getting smoke, either. And I can avoid the flare ups pretty easily, too. But of course it's easier on a charcoal grill.

As for the rest, all valid. But that seems to be a different case than saying gas grills are so much more limited. I think each has its place. And I think there's more to it than "anything that cooks quick." I tried explaining the various ways I thought it had flexibility beyond that in addition to the validity behind investing money in it.

I just got the 310 at Lowes. I think it was $700.

When i was shopping, I guess I got turned around clicking pages and comparing what I needed I accidentally ordered the natural gas version that I wanted (I don't have a natural gas line). They delivered it assembled. So I had to load that crap up, return it (which they took back no questions asked.) But then the one I ordered didn't come assembled, so my idiocy basically gave me two extra chores. Anyway, I'm about to have a new Weber grill after I put the dang thing together.

So after a bumpy start with the ordering, the right one came and I put it together. Well, the thermometer was broken. The prong thing was crimped and I guess that was enough to keep the sensor from connecting. Well, I tried grilling anyway and it didn't seem to be warming much even on high. It took 30 minutes to cook burgers, and even then they were really red. Well, I come to find out there's some sort of safety catch if the gas comes in too much or something and that needed to be reset. Cooked steaks last night and that thing forking ROCKED. Heated like a champ.

Took about a week for the warranty order to process on the thermometer, but they're shipping me a new one for free. Then we should be be hopping.

TLDR; Due to several missteps by me, and a few by Weber, it took a little to get going, but now it seems like it will be a pretty nice little grill.

I have a Char-Broil 4 burner propane and have been happy with it for grilling and smoking. Grilling chicken can be a little tricky. I regularly smoke ribs holding a chamber temp of around 225F. I used to have a stainless steel metal box to hold chips, and found that if I used a few charcoal briquettes cooked down till gray and then added chips in on tp of them, that they serve as the smoldering source without overheating the chamber. This would sit at a far end above a burner on low, and a foil lined pan in the middle to catch drippings and help deflect heat. Ribs would go on the upper rack just above the temp probe. I have smoked duck breasts, tomahawk ribeyes, and racks of lamb as well, and been very very happy.

I have a wireless dual probe digital thermometer to monitor temps (and saves me tons of time going outside to check on things).

tomahawk ribeye, smoked and reverse seared.
ribeye.jpg

smoked duck breast, then pan seared to finish.
duck.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom