Looking for a new grill Redux (2 Viewers)

HoustonSaint68

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a preferred brand for a propane grill that's not as expensive as a Weber that just needs to last 2-4 years (covered but in the weather), handle cooking for usually 2 (but occasionally 4) people, and gets hot enough for a decent sear on burgers and other less-than-premium cuts of meat?

Note, I read every post in the 5 pages of the original 'looking for a new grill' thread but most had devolved into the 'propane-is-useless, no-it-isn't' variety, or advised the OP to 'spend the extra money and get a Weber' -- so no need to repeat those arguments here. For incredibly boring reasons that no one would be interested in, I need a grill that meet the above qualifications and trust (hope?) that someone here can help with a recommendation. Thanks in advance!

I bought a Char Broil from Walmart a few years ago.
It’s the infrared style and it works fantastic for burgers, dogs, chicken, etc.

It’s held up very well and I think I paid less than $200.

I bought a Char Broil from Walmart a few years ago.
It’s the infrared style and it works fantastic for burgers, dogs, chicken, etc.

It’s held up very well and I think I paid less than $200.
I got a Char Broil from Lowe’s about 4 years ago that has served me very well. It’s been converted to natural gas and back to propane with no problems.
It has 4 burners and cost a little under $300.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the suggestions.

I'm going to add Dyna Glow as a brand worth checking out. I don't have one, but a family member does. Much of the BBQing he does is on the coal drum, but the grilling when he needs quick and easy is on his dyna glow. Probably had it 3-4 years and it's been more than serviceable. The thermometer was pretty pointless, but many are on these models, incl the more expensive ones.

If you're looking for a dependable budget brand, maybe have a look at these models, too.

I think Char Broil is probably the best brand for this price range, but Dyna Glow - which wouldn't have been one I would've looked for before - I'd include in my search.

We're about to retire our old Char Broil after 10 years. It's been a workhorse. 4 burners. I think about $300 at the time. I'm looking for a replacement also, so thanks for the thread.

Just make sure it's all stainless. Stainless box, grills, and lid. I have a CharmGlow I got at Target for $200 about 12 years ago and it's still kicking. I don't think they make them any more, but Char Broil or the Sam's brand would be good. I've changed the burners and shields a few times and upgraded the grill top to GrillGrates over that period. I also switched out the regulator for a crawfish one so I can dial up or down the heat when needed.

Last edited:
I also switched out the regulator for a crawfish one so I can dial up or down the heat when needed.

mmm.... grilled crawfish. My favorite. With a side of grilled Fritos? Divine.

I made the investment into a Big Green Egg 3 years ago and I haven't looked back yet. Love it. I look for excuses to use it. I will never have to buy another grill again.

I'm going to add Dyna Glow as a brand worth checking out. I don't have one, but a family member does. Much of the BBQing he does is on the coal drum, but the grilling when he needs quick and easy is on his dyna glow. Probably had it 3-4 years and it's been more than serviceable. The thermometer was pretty pointless, but many are on these models, incl the more expensive ones.

If you're looking for a dependable budget brand, maybe have a look at these models, too.

I think Char Broil is probably the best brand for this price range, but Dyna Glow - which wouldn't have been one I would've looked for before - I'd include in my search.
is this your official diagnosis?

I made the investment into a Big Green Egg 3 years ago and I haven't looked back yet. Love it. I look for excuses to use it. I will never have to buy another grill again.

Yes I am getting a BGE. I just have a second location that I need to cover for a couple of years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom