Looking for a new grill Redux (1 Viewer)

Probably a long shot but I got lucky and picked up a Weber Genesis off Craigslist for $300 about 4 years back. It has been amazing. Thing is a tank.

Actually, it is just like this one - https://houston.craigslist.org/grd/d/cypress-weber-genesis-gas-grill/6761528709.html

I assume you are in Houston. Pick this one up for $100 or less and with a little elbow grease and burner repair, you may have a steal.

Hey, thanks a lot to everyone with the recommendations.

Not in Houston anymore -- moved back to NOLA and am in between two places which is why I need a new short-term grill.

Not in Houston anymore -- moved back to NOLA and am in between two places which is why I need a new short-term grill.

craigslist personal ads are gone, but there are a lot of other options - tinder, okcupid, hinge, bumble. Coffee meets bagel hasn't been great lately.

Oh... you said "grill"

I need a good, serviceable vehicle for an affordable and reasonable price.

Thoughts on a Lexus?
personally, i was going to suggest checking out maybach. lexus may work too, at least in the interim.

I would check used on Facebook or Craigslist first....can find some great deals on there from time to time. New after Weber I'd go charbroil or chargriller as I've had great luck with both.

Probably a long shot but I got lucky and picked up a Weber Genesis off Craigslist for $300 about 4 years back. It has been amazing. Thing is a tank.

Actually, it is just like this one - https://houston.craigslist.org/grd/d/cypress-weber-genesis-gas-grill/6761528709.html

I assume you are in Houston. Pick this one up for $100 or less and with a little elbow grease and burner repair, you may have a steal.

The grill in the ad isnt mine, but i bought the exact same one when i lived in Houston.. spent $900 on it, and worth every penny.. actually had some gift cards that brought it down to about half price.. amazing grill.. then again, it’s the only grill i’ve ever owned or ever grilled on, but it makes me seem like a seasoned grilling professional.. no joke, it does all the work for you and everything i ever grilled on it came out perfect.. unfortunately i just literally gave it away a couple weeks ago; we’re in the process of selling our house and the apartment we’re staying in doesnt allow grills. :-( .. Plus, the igniter was starting to take a long time to light, and the grill itself was starting to rust a little.. nothing a little TLC couldnt have taken care of, but since i was going to have it in storage for a while, i figured it needed a new home.. the guy i gave it to got an unbelievable deal, cant beat free.. but for the last 4 or 5 yrs, i’ve had a love affair with that grill, and when we get a new house i’m replacing it with the newer version of that exact one.

So I have owned both Charbroil's and Webers and there really is no comparison. The Weber's are far superior in both quality and cooking. But I understand that you don't want to drop $500+ for a second grill to do burgers/dogs etc. I used to work at an ACE hardware in Houston and know the weber's really well. They are worth every penny.

But if you don't want to drop that for a grill i understand. I would like to recommend the Weber Spirit if you are willing to go to around $350. It is only 2 burners but if you are only cooking for 2-4 people it will work just fine. Here it is at Lowes.com
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Spirit-Ii-E-210-Black-2-Burner-Liquid-Propane-Gas-Grill/1000364509

Now I have gone through a few Charbroil's and while they will get the job done, I don't love them. They fall apart after about 2-3 years and I always had flareups. It was almost impossible to cook a good piece of chicken on it. Burgers are fine though. But if you want a cheap option that will last a few years then Charbroil is fine.

I saw Lowes has a brand called BroilKing and home depot has Dynaglow. They both look a little sturdier than the charbroils but I honestly have not used either brand. I would suggest getting the stainless steel ones though for durability.

I would also recommend if you want the both gas and charcoal in one they have the Char Griller duo grill. It has always looked like a cool concept to me and they seem to be fairly popular. Best of both worlds with a charcoal and Gas grill all in one. Check it out and good luck!
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Griller-Duo-Black-Dual-Function-Combo-Grill/1245537

Weber Performer …..coal burner but you start it with a small built in propane torch. Also Look along the road side. I picked up an older model Weber Genesis, 3 burner with a side burner a few month ago, and 1 new $15.00 regulator later I have one fine gas grill.

So I have owned both Charbroil's and Webers and there really is no comparison. The Weber's are far superior in both quality and cooking. But I understand that you don't want to drop $500+ for a second grill to do burgers/dogs etc. I used to work at an ACE hardware in Houston and know the weber's really well. They are worth every penny.

But if you don't want to drop that for a grill i understand. I would like to recommend the Weber Spirit if you are willing to go to around $350. It is only 2 burners but if you are only cooking for 2-4 people it will work just fine. Here it is at Lowes.com
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Spirit-Ii-E-210-Black-2-Burner-Liquid-Propane-Gas-Grill/1000364509

Now I have gone through a few Charbroil's and while they will get the job done, I don't love them. They fall apart after about 2-3 years and I always had flareups. It was almost impossible to cook a good piece of chicken on it. Burgers are fine though. But if you want a cheap option that will last a few years then Charbroil is fine.

I saw Lowes has a brand called BroilKing and home depot has Dynaglow. They both look a little sturdier than the charbroils but I honestly have not used either brand. I would suggest getting the stainless steel ones though for durability.

I would also recommend if you want the both gas and charcoal in one they have the Char Griller duo grill. It has always looked like a cool concept to me and they seem to be fairly popular. Best of both worlds with a charcoal and Gas grill all in one. Check it out and good luck!
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Griller-Duo-Black-Dual-Function-Combo-Grill/1245537

I have the weber spirit that you mention. Bought it over the summer and it is a great grill. Gets to 500 degrees in ten minutes or less. I accidentally left it outside uncovered during a storm and no rust whatsoever. It has a gauge that shows when propane is getting empty. I have a big weber charcoal grill for entertaining. The spirit is perfect for grilling fast and easy.

Weber Performer …..coal burner but you start it with a small built in propane torch. Also Look along the road side. I picked up an older model Weber Genesis, 3 burner with a side burner a few month ago, and 1 new $15.00 regulator later I have one fine gas grill.
i can only successfully bbq hotdogs, but the performer is a fine piece sitting outside, looking like i know how to cook anything.

There is a big difference between a cheap Charbroil and their better stuff. If you buy a 80 dollar charbroil you get exactly what you pay for. However, their bigger stainless grills are pretty good actually. I spent more on my charbroil than maybe you’re wanting to spend, but I bought an older model of this grill 19 years ago when I moved into my house. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-Bro...t1MHwRdy4KAQW8S2DERYkqY1BEEic11UaAitREALw_wcB About 7 years ago I had to replace the burners, and will have to again maybe this summer, maybe next, but I can clean it up and it looks and works great. If I had to buy another gas grill, I’d go back to this one no questions asked. It cooks everything well, except chicken which I use a mat to cook it and then the flare up problems that exist with any gas grill go away. Also, the design of the burners gives you enough space you can take chunks of wood, wrap in foil and do a poor man’s job of smoking in it. I really like mine and like I said is 19 years old this Father’s Day coming up.

I was about to pull the trigger on a Char Broil similar to what I've had for 10 years, but was wondering if anyone had any strong feelings about Weber. Seems like a better made product, but was wondering if anyone has some testimony about the cooking quality comparison between the two. Because it's a good bit more expensive for less square inches. Anyone feel strongly about their Weber?

I was about to pull the trigger on a Char Broil similar to what I've had for 10 years, but was wondering if anyone had any strong feelings about Weber. Seems like a better made product, but was wondering if anyone has some testimony about the cooking quality comparison between the two. Because it's a good bit more expensive for less square inches. Anyone feel strongly about their Weber?

I dont want to repeat myself, so if you look a few posts above, post #21, i expressed how strongly i feel about my Weber.. whatever the price difference is, it’s worth it.

I dont want to repeat myself, so if you look a few posts above, post #21, i expressed how strongly i feel about my Weber.. whatever the price difference is, it’s worth it.
You sure did. Thanks. Does yours have the hanging propane indicator thing and can you tell me how accurate it is?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom