Looking for ideas: How to make a living... deaf. (2 Viewers)

Are you going to go with cochliar (sp) implants if the hearing doesn't return?

A client of mine has them and is doing real well with them....of course he didn't suffer from your condition I don't thing but I guess I was asking were they an option for you?

Judge for American Idol
Sound mixer for Hardcore Metal bands
"Surrogate Husband" services (listen to men's wives for them)
Day Care worker

;)

Mime? Probably a lot easier to do the whole "no speaking" thing if you cant hear everybody that walks by talking about how much they hate mimes. :hihi:

Seriously though, I would think you could still do just about any job as a deaf man.

Judge for American Idol
Sound mixer for Hardcore Metal bands
"Surrogate Husband" services (listen to men's wives for them)
Day Care worker

;)

Hardcore Metal bands or Death Metal is entirely more complex as far as musical composure.

Back to the reason for this thread, you can anything you put your mind to man. The sky is the limit.

I would start learning sign language. Worst case that becomes your primary form of communication. Best case you are bilingual. That will open many more doors for you. In fact I was approached by a head hunter that would have payed me 10,000 a year if I knew sign language. I do not.

Second that advice. I have been using an in ear hearing aid for the last 10 years due to a hereditary condition (otosclerosis) which has left both my mother and grandmother deaf by the time they reached 50. I still have about 65% of my hearing left so I'm not totally dependent on my hearing aid yet and don't use it in noisy situations ( like saints games in the dome :ezbill:) My hearing loss has been stable at that level for the last 10 years, but I have always known that there was a chance that I might loose my hearing completely one day.

I do sign however, not that I need it right now, but my mother made both me and my sister learn sign language when we were still in grade school. She was still able to hear very well at that time, but thought that we should be taught it as children in case we should need it later on.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom