Looking for ideas: How to make a living... deaf. (1 Viewer)

SaintsBrazil

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I've been deaf for 3 weeks now. It's possible that my hearing could return, but I am starting to think about the future. Any ideas?

There should be ample opportunities for you bra. You can speak so you may be able to teach sign language to others. You can do any measure of mechanical or technical work. You could become a teacher or use your ministerial powers to minister to other deaf citizens of your country.

TPS

hammer: I am a self supported missionary. I'd been teaching English and helping occasionally at my wife's company.

TPS: I'd have to learn sign language.

Jonesy77: Don't I wish.

hammer: I am a self supported missionary. I'd been teaching English and helping occasionally at my wife's company.

TPS: I'd have to learn sign language.

Jonesy77: Don't I wish.

Though it may be a step backward for you .. data entry .. or accounting assistant... I have run across several deaf guys on the job.. I am a carpenter .. many of the trades will be good for your situation....

How good are you with computers ? You don't need to be able to hear to work with computers and you can work at odd hours and in distant places.

I have a colleague whose husband got stationed in Greenland for 6 months and she kept working as a programmer the whole time while living there using the Net to communicate with the home office.

Well, I am not a programmer, but I am adept with computers and tend to learn new programs very fast.

There is nothing you can not do, but you may have to change the methods.

One of the biggest struggles that I have seem with individuals that have lost their hearing latter in live tend to lose the expressive intelligibility. They can not hear themselves speak, so it tends to deteriorate. Private speech services would be a good option to consider.

I would start learning sign language. Worst case that becomes your primary form of communication. Best case you are bilingual. That will open many more doors for you. In fact I was approached by a head hunter that would have payed me 10,000 a year if I knew sign language. I do not.

As far as jobs go...anything hands on seem to work well. A lot of routine based jobs that allows you to set at a task and not have to expressively interact...again if you do not intend to monitor your speech production.

I am assuming that you have not looked into various implication devices? If you have not I would go that route first.

Start you're own lawncare/landscaping business. You can set you're own hours, working as much as you want to. You get to be outside in the fresh air. Plus, done correctly, you don't have to work but eight months out of the year.

Start you're own lawncare/landscaping business. You can set you're own hours, working as much as you want to. You get to be outside in the fresh air. Plus, done correctly, you don't have to work but eight months out of the year.

my cousin has one and does well with it...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom