Looking for recs for family trip to the Smokies (1 Viewer)

Brad Mojo

Funkier than you.
Reaction score
This summer we are going to the Smokey Mountains for vacation. I have 10 and 16 year old daughters. I am looking for a cabin (ideally on a creek/river) and want to do day trips for whitewater rafting, horeseback riding, etc. I know there is an overwhelming amount to select from, so if anyone has any first hand recommendations for or against I would appreciate it. THANKS!

I have been whitewater rafting several times. We have always used The Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC). They have trips on the Nantahala and the Ocoee in North Carolina. The Nantahala is more gentle whitewater than the Ocoee. So much so that you can rent rafts or two person inflatable canoes (duckies) and float down the river un-guided. The Ocoee is a little rougher, but great fun. It is a guided trip with rafts. If you are staying in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, plan on the better part of a day being used with the floats and travel to and from these two rivers as they are in North Carolina.
As for cabins, there are so many to chose from. It would be your personal choice. We have stayed at many and haven't really been disappointed in any of them. Pigeon Forge is more touristy and located at the base of the mountains. Gatlinburg is quainter, and located higher in the mountains.

Gatlinburg has the advantage of everything being within walking distance. That’s good because it’s also very overcrowded. Forget going anywhere by car in a reasonable amount of time. Parking can be a challenge also. You can avoid some of the traffic, but you will need to get on the main road through town at some point, and it can slow to a crawl.

Gatlinburg has the advantage of everything being within walking distance. That’s good because it’s also very overcrowded. Forget going anywhere by car in a reasonable amount of time. Parking can be a challenge also. You can avoid some of the traffic, but you will need to get on the main road through town at some point, and it can slow to a crawl.

Wouldnt all that depend on when you go? The OP mentioned the summer, but is traffic still heavy during the week (as opposed to the weekend), when it isnt 4th of July, or Memorial Day or Labor Day? I’m asking becuase I’ve only been at Christmas, so i dont know.

We go to the Boone/Blowing Rock/Banner Elk area. There's a lot to do and Boone is a college town so it's got more vibe to it than most mountain towns. But it's sort of out of the way for LA folks. I don't know too much about the Tennessee side.

The national park (Great Smoky Mountains) has three main entrances (two in TN and one in NC). I think there's white water and horse excursions just about everywhere in the NC/TN mountains.

I did whitewater rafting on the Chattooga river in high school (25 years ago). It was pretty intense, I can still remember the adrenaline rush.

I've been considering doing something like this during the summer as well. Probably do more hiking than rafting though. I looked at prices for cabins and for what you get, it's pretty good. Plus, I prefer being off the beaten path, so it looks like deals and scenery are a little better if you don't mind a little more of a drive.

Wouldnt all that depend on when you go? The OP mentioned the summer, but is traffic still heavy during the week (as opposed to the weekend), when it isnt 4th of July, or Memorial Day or Labor Day? I’m asking becuase I’ve only been at Christmas, so i dont know.
Of course timing is everything. My wife and I were there for a week last November. We had one day that wasn’t crowded. I think it was a Wednesday.
If it was that crowded the second week of November, you have to assume that any random week in the summer will be packed.

Cades Cove is a must. Avoid all helicopter rides.

Depending on which way your are coming from I’d would definitely check out the Cumberland plateau. IMO it is more beautiful and far less crowded.

See_Rock_City_Birdhouse.jpg

Avoid all helicopter rides.
Why. I rather enjoyed mine. I had to pay extra for the Jet Ranger due to my wife’s weight but it was still worth it to me.

the Ocoee in North Carolina.
Great information in your post.

One thing to add, we whitewater rafted the Ocoee in Tennessee just north of Chattanooga. There's an exit off I-75 (I think it's US 74) that will take you to all the different companies that offer the service.

In my first "real" job after college, a bunch of us drove up there, whitewater rafted during the day, and camped at night. The rapids were awesome. I wound up going twice (it was a yearly trip) and I got thrown from the raft the second year, and got a huge slice down the palm of my hand from the point of a rock. It's definitely not a soft raft ride down a lazy river.

It was some great whitewater rafting, boozing, grilling, and camping.

Highly recommended.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom