Looking for tips - riding in a Mardi Gras Parade (1 Viewer)

I hear that some ladies will show their breasticles for beads.

I heard that somewhere on the intrawebs

I think the most important thing to remember is to stay on the float. In order to ride, you must maintain your position ON it. Too many people get caught up in what they're doing and throw themselves off with the beads.

I rode in Endymion in '98 and it was absolutely the funnest day of my life. I admit it was a complete power trip....and I think what was part of the original point in the earliest Mardi Gras'.

Pace yourself, keep an eye out for ne'er-do-wells in the back of crowds who will inevitably throw beads back at you.

Do not ever remove your mask...if it's a stricter Krewe.

And whatever you do, enjoy all the racks your eyes can feast on! :9:

What kind of crazy-*** parade did you ride in?? :dunno:

It was a frigid (for NOLA) January (spelling intended) in the mid 80's. I assure you, the vagueness I possess of this event is due to being too young to be stealin swigs of brandy when my friends parent's weren't lookin.

On the corner of St Chuck and Napoleon IIRC, two guys on a float fell. It's apparent they had a head start.:covri:

Funny that y'all mention falling off a float. Last year on Napoleon during I think Orpheus I was watching one float ride down the street. It was real wobbly and one guy wasn't wearing his little harness that hooks you to the float because he just got back from the bathroom. So the guy, totally smashed already, stands right at the edge of the float and his holding himself steady with a papier-mâché flower that's barely connected to the float. I sat there with a friend watching this float from just past Tchoupitoulas ride to about Magazine, and I kept telling him this dude was gonna fall. Right when it gets in front of me, it hits a pothole on the fine streets of New Orleans and the dude flies off the float and almost gets himself run over by a 10 ton float. I couldn't decide if I was a terrible person or not for laughing my *** off. He was OK and got back on the float, so I guess I'm not going to hell or anything.

The most important rule is if it is sunny bring sun block. I rode in a parade 2 years ago and it was sunny and forgot to bring the sun block and at the end of the parade I looked like a lobster. I got burned pretty bad and blistered. Other than that pace yourselves with the throws. Hope you have fun.

I meant to get back and talk about my experiences.

Again, it was in Slidell, on a Sunday afternoon. If my main goal was examining female attributes, I failed miserably.

The parade started at 1pm. We had to be on the float ready to go at noon, and we got there at 11am. We were on the 2nd float, on the 2nd floor, passengers side at the back. Carrying all the throws up this narrow staircase was loads of fun.

The theme of the parade was Hollywood movies, so here's the wife and I dressed for the parade. She went as a pirate, and I went as the Phantom of the Mardi Gras.
slidellians4.jpg

We started rolling at 12:30, and move around to the staging area, where all the marching bands, and convertibles with beauty queens were getting ready to go.
slidellians3.jpg

One problem I had on the float: traffic lights.
slidellians1.jpg

I was using the advice here and making sure that I made eye contact before I tossed something. Early on it was very windy, so hitting someone was pretty tough, but it got easier later in the afternoon. The stuffed animals went quickly, because I was trying to throw one to every cute kid. Then I was throwing a bunch of beads, with long ones being pretty popular. The wife also got me some bras, panties and garters to throw, so I had to wrap those around beads, but the young ladies to throw them to were few and far between.

The crowd was pretty good all along the parade route.
slidellians2.jpg

The parade lasted 3 hours for us. I had thrown most all my things with some plastic cups and some underwear being the main things.

So, I had a blast. It was the coolest thing I've done in a while. My wife said the smile went three times around my face. We've got spots next year if we want to do it. I think we will.

Looks like you had a great time! To those that might be riding in future parades, I suggest bringing water and sunscreen, these are two things that are often overlooked.

For those of you who have rode in NOLA parades, did yall ever get the whole "safety" rundown before the ride? When I used to ride they would prep us on what to do if we heard gunshots, how to deal with people throwing beads back etc. I mentioned this to someone the other day who rides and they never heard of this before.

For those of you who have rode in NOLA parades, did yall ever get the whole "safety" rundown before the ride? When I used to ride they would prep us on what to do if we heard gunshots, how to deal with people throwing beads back etc. I mentioned this to someone the other day who rides and they never heard of this before.

We got the standard "don't throw your beer at people" and "don't jump off" type of safety talk, thats about it

Again-- What kind of crazy-*** parade did you ride in?? :dunno: :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom