Looking for vintage Saints pictures (gas station handouts?) (1 Viewer)

UFCSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Back in the 80's I remember having several black and white sketches of some of the players on my wall that I think were given out by a gas station..? I can't remember them all now but I'm thinking there was Morten...Archie...Jackson....honestly not sure who all there was. Anyway, I would love to track down some scans of these just to bring back some memories and maybe reprint them for myself. Anyone remember this? Or what the official name of those pictures were so I can try to look them up?

Are you looking for the 1981 Shell Oil poster drawings? They have some on EBay or I’m sure you could search Google for them. I think there were six Saints - Manning, Jackson, Myers, Grooms, Ricardo, Rogers. I have them in my collection but they’re a bit larger than a sheet of paper so not easy to flat scan.

59300B56-46B3-4BE4-A380-3A140A7D22CE.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you looking for the 1981 Shell Oil poster drawings? They have some on EBay or I’m sure you could search Google for them. I think there were six Saints - Manning, Jackson, Myers, Grooms, Ricardo, Rogers. I have them in my collection but they’re a bit larger than a sheet of paper so not easy to flat scan.

Yes that was it! Thanks!!

What kind of phone do you have? A majority of the newer models have scan to doc apps pre-installed. If not, if you have access to Google Play Store or Apple's App store, there are several free options that will allow you to use your phone's camera as a scanner. All it takes is a steady hand and you're gtg. LMK if you have any questions.

FAKE NEWS! The poster should display poor Archie running for his life.

I swear I thought I remembered a Morten Anderson print as well. I thought it was the same series but maybe a different one. Then again, that was 40 years ago...

Yep... the 1981 collection. It was obviously an attempt to keep the Saints relevant in the hearts of the fans after coming off of their 1-15 season in 1980. Bum Phillips first year as head coach was in 1981 and he managed to squeeze out a 4-12 finish that season. I'm not sure if those sketches did a lot to instill confidence in the new regime. But ol' Bum came pretty close in 1983 when only a last second Rams fieldgoal (by Lansford) in the final game kept the Saints out of their first playoff appearance.

Those early years of the franchise were so unkind to us. 😥

Yep... the 1981 collection. It was obviously an attempt to keep the Saints relevant in the hearts of the fans after coming off of their 1-15 season in 1980. Bum Phillips first year as head coach was in 1981 and he managed to squeeze out a 4-12 finish that season. I'm not sure if those sketches did a lot to instill confidence in the new regime. But ol' Bum came pretty close in 1983 when only a last second Rams fieldgoal (by Lansford) in the final game kept the Saints out of their first playoff appearance.

Those early years of the franchise were so unkind to us. 😥
And we were ecstatic to get to 8-8...my how things have changed. I am pretty sure I had several of those pictures tacked onto my bedroom wall as a kid.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom