Looking to buy a refrigerator (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
Yesterday after returning from helping others gut homes, I went to the fridge for a glass of water, and the refrigerator was on, but it wasn't cooling. I am no repair person, but I think it's time for a new refrigerator (this one came with the home) and we were already thinking of making upgrades in the kitchen. We just didn't plan on buying a new fridge so soon.

I am looking online, and with holiday coming up I am sure there will be deals aplenty. Has anyone here recently purchased a refrigerator, and if so from where? We are looking to spend up to $1200 for a fridge, but with so many sellers we want to make sure we are getting the best deal.

Any advice?

Lowes had a price match plus program where they would match any price then give you an additional 10% off. I went to lows, typed different model numbers in google shopping (local stores), found a model that I liked that Best Buy had on clearance and then got Lowes to match plus 10% off. $2300 fridge for about a grand.

We recently got a Bosch (more than 1200, IIRC), but we like it. We bought from a local appliance shop (Campo).

I'm a renter, so I have yet to buy a fridge. I do like the bottom freezer style though.

Give me a few and I'll look through my Consumer Reports magazines and send their top rated ones.

You looking for French door, single door, freezer top, bottom? Exterior ice/water? Stainless, white, black, don't care?

This is the top rated French door fridge by Consumer Reports as of last month. $2100 at Homedepot.

Samsung 27.8 cu. ft. Food Showcase French Door Refrigerator in Stainless Steel-RF28HDEDBSR - The Home Depot

GE 25.8 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator in Stainless Steel-GFE26GSKSS - The Home Depot

$1970

If you want a water/ice dispenser on the outside you're mostly $1500+

Otherwise, if you don't, they have 4 Samsungs and one Whirlpool all for under $1200.

No - French Door Refrigerators - Refrigerators -  The Home Depot

This is their best deal bottom freezer. About $750.

Kenmore - 69313 - 19 cu. ft. Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator - Stainless Steel | Sears Outlet

Top rated top freezer.. $900 though.

LG 20.2 Cu. Ft. Top-Freezer Refrigerator Silver LTCS20220S - Best Buy

Depends on what you like.

Yesterday after returning from helping others gut homes, I went to the fridge for a glass of water, and the refrigerator was on, but it wasn't cooling. I am no repair person, but I think it's time for a new refrigerator (this one came with the home)

Were there any particular circumstances leading up to the not-cold fridge? Kid left the door open over night? Freezer door looked closed but wasn't?

Check for ice way in the back. There's usually (sometimes?) a fan that circulates the cold air from freezer to fridge. Humidity from an open door can lead to ice freezing up that fan and possibly cause that motor to burn out. Sometimes I can defrost the fan and/or the coils with a hair dryer, but other times I've gone to an appliance store and bought the $35-40 part. Faster and cheaper than waiting for a service call and it will keep an otherwise good appliance out of the landfill.

Google your model number. Good luck. And if you have young children, be careful with the pullout freezer on the bottom models. You'll become an expert on re-aligning the jumped tracks when that door doesn't close.

Ive never had cause to buy a fridge so I'm curious from ignorance
Aside from price, what's the difference between a $600 a $1200 and a $2400 fridge?

(I'm also curious bc I've recently listened to a report about the insane markup in mattresses, though I imagine costs for fridges come closer to the price)

Aside from price, what's the difference between a $600 a $1200 and a $2400 fridge?

More things to break. :)

Really, it's size.

(I'm also curious bc I've recently listened to a report about the insane markup in mattresses, though I imagine costs for fridges come closer to the price)

Click on the links and you'll get an idea. Usually size, features.

This is the top rated French door fridge by Consumer Reports as of last month. $2100 at Homedepot.

Samsung 27.8 cu. ft. Food Showcase French Door Refrigerator in Stainless Steel-RF28HDEDBSR - The Home Depot

GE 25.8 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator in Stainless Steel-GFE26GSKSS - The Home Depot

$1970

If you want a water/ice dispenser on the outside you're mostly $1500+

Otherwise, if you don't, they have 4 Samsungs and one Whirlpool all for under $1200.

No - French Door Refrigerators - Refrigerators - *The Home Depot

This is their best deal bottom freezer. About $750.

Kenmore - 69313 - 19 cu. ft. Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator - Stainless Steel | Sears Outlet

Top rated top freezer.. $900 though.

LG 20.2 Cu. Ft. Top-Freezer Refrigerator Silver LTCS20220S - Best Buy

Depends on what you like.
We have the Samsung showcase...22 cubic ft model for "counter depth".
if you have kids it's fantastic. (We do).

I was apprehensive due to price, but in the $1200 range we couldn't find much that I felt would meet our needs.

We got last year when in one week we lost fridge, dishwasher and wash machine [emoji33]

I think it was $2000 and I'm sure there will be mad offers for labor day weekend so you may get an opportunity to get closer to your price range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yesterday after returning from helping others gut homes, I went to the fridge for a glass of water, and the refrigerator was on, but it wasn't cooling. I am no repair person, but I think it's time for a new refrigerator (this one came with the home) and we were already thinking of making upgrades in the kitchen. We just didn't plan on buying a new fridge so soon.

I am looking online, and with holiday coming up I am sure there will be deals aplenty. Has anyone here recently purchased a refrigerator, and if so from where? We are looking to spend up to $1200 for a fridge, but with so many sellers we want to make sure we are getting the best deal.

Any advice?

If you clean the grill on the front and the back of the fridge you might find that you fix your problem. I've seen a few fridges from houses with pets or dust issues that simply needed a good cleaning to fix this issue.

We have the Samsung showcase...22 cubic ft model for "counter depth".
if you have kids it's fantastic. (We do).

I was apprehensive due to price, but in the $1200 range we couldn't find much that I felt would meet our needs.

We got last year when in one week we lost fridge, dishwasher and wash machine [emoji33]

I think it was $2000 and I'm sure there will be mad offers for labor day weekend so you may get an opportunity to get closer to your price range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

We bought the Samsung, in "black" stainless. What surprised me was how quiet it is. The finish also doesn't show fingerprints as much as the regular stainless.

Has French doors up top with a small door within the door for frequently used items, a middle drawer that you can set at several different temps depending what you're using it for, and a bottom freezer.

About $2000-$2300 IIRC. They had a six month same as cash thing going when we got ours. I know that's more than you want to spend, but our last fridge before this one lasted at least 15 years, and is still going in the garage now. So we figured we'd get our money's worth.

Were there any particular circumstances leading up to the not-cold fridge? Kid left the door open over night? Freezer door looked closed but wasn't?

Check for ice way in the back. There's usually (sometimes?) a fan that circulates the cold air from freezer to fridge. Humidity from an open door can lead to ice freezing up that fan and possibly cause that motor to burn out. Sometimes I can defrost the fan and/or the coils with a hair dryer, but other times I've gone to an appliance store and bought the $35-40 part. Faster and cheaper than waiting for a service call and it will keep an otherwise good appliance out of the landfill.

Google your model number. Good luck. And if you have young children, be careful with the pullout freezer on the bottom models. You'll become an expert on re-aligning the jumped tracks when that door doesn't close.

There was no forewarning. We left and it was working, got home last night at 9 and the fan was blowing, but nothing was cooling down. It sucks more than anything as Friday night we purchased a bunch of Blue Bell ice cream to enjoy after we returned from gutting houses.

I will look into doing what you and DTC are saying. It's a generic Wirlpool freezer top fridge, so I will look into it tomorrow. I hope we don't have to buy a new fridge, but if I must, I must.

I got a Frigidaire Gallery series from A-1. I have never paid full price there. I think the gut gave me 75.00 off the listed price. Knock on wood over 8 years and going strong. Solid ice cream!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom