Looking to the future... (1 Viewer)

jcollins9

Bring The WOOD!
Reaction score
This isn't one of those "who do we draft" or "what FA pickups" threads. I was reading the SF thread and it dawned on me. All those Mora years with the Dome Patrol and those really good teams, we had to share the division with San Francisco. Many of those teams would have beem division champs or playoff teams given the current conference/divisional alignment. (I know, there are more teams now, but follow me for a second). Suddenly, we find ourselves with one of the rising stars among NFL coaches, a MVP candidate QB and just a solid, young team. Throw in the apparent genius in our player evaluation and we are set to be a very good team for the forseeable future. Who in our division is the counterweight? Atlanta is in a shambles, much the same in Tampa. I can see Carolina as the other good team, but certainly not this year. I guess my whole point is that we won't have a team in our division to always be second fiddle to. Then we look to the Conference and we find a few teams on our level, but no truly dominant team like the 9ers in the 80's or the Cowboys in the 90's. This is just my optimistic side coming out, but could we be the NFC's dominant team over the next decade?

This is just my optimistic side coming out, but could we be the NFC's dominant team over the next decade?

I'd say it seems unlikely because of parity and the way the division has shaped up over the years. It would be nice to represent as well as some of our peers have recently.

Team Record Playoff Results
2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 12-4-0 Won Super Bowl XXXVII
2003 Carolina Panthers 11-5-0 Lost Super Bowl XXXVIII
2004 Atlanta Falcons 11-5-0 Lost NFC Championship Game
2005 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 11-5-0 Lost NFC Wild Card Playoffs

Wild Card qualifiers

Season Team Record Playoff Results
2002 Atlanta Falcons 9-6-1 Lost NFC Divisional Playoffs
2005 Carolina Panthers 11-5-0 Lost NFC Championship Game

Last edited:
This isn't one of those "who do we draft" or "what FA pickups" threads. I was reading the SF thread and it dawned on me. All those Mora years with the Dome Patrol and those really good teams, we had to share the division with San Francisco. Many of those teams would have beem division champs or playoff teams given the current conference/divisional alignment. (I know, there are more teams now, but follow me for a second). Suddenly, we find ourselves with one of the rising stars among NFL coaches, a MVP candidate QB and just a solid, young team. Throw in the apparent genius in our player evaluation and we are set to be a very good team for the forseeable future. Who in our division is the counterweight? Atlanta is in a shambles, much the same in Tampa. I can see Carolina as the other good team, but certainly not this year. I guess my whole point is that we won't have a team in our division to always be second fiddle to. Then we look to the Conference and we find a few teams on our level, but no truly dominant team like the 9ers in the 80's or the Cowboys in the 90's. This is just my optimistic side coming out, but could we be the NFC's dominant team over the next decade?

As far as the genius in talent evals, hmmmmmmmmmmm. Same one as who got Sully, Tbuck and company. He just got lucky with the draft. You have to have a different mentalility in order to succeed every year. If this team improves and stays hungry and suffers no lasting injuries, then I feel we can be competitive every year.

As far as the genius in talent evals, hmmmmmmmmmmm. Same one as who got Sully, Tbuck and company. He just got lucky with the draft. You have to have a different mentalility in order to succeed every year. If this team improves and stays hungry and suffers no lasting injuries, then I feel we can be competitive every year.

I don't see it that way. The scouting staff has had turnover, and the Head Coach has a huge influence in who gets drafted or signed as a free agent. Especially in the higher rounds. If you don't believe that, look at the difference in the TYPE of player we have drafted in the previous few years. We suddenly went from drafting guys with huge measurables who were passed over by other teams because they didn't have the intangibles, to guys who were smart, team oriented, and instinctive. Just look at Harper, et al.

also, i did say "apparent' genius...

My bad, but the GM makes the call and it is his decision. I think the new scout are showing him better players therefor a better informed decision. But overall you are right.

My bad, but the GM makes the call and it is his decision. I think the new scout are showing him better players therefor a better informed decision. But overall you are right.

You are right about the GM being the final decision. I just think Payton has put his stamp on this team. I guess my point was that I just don't see that counterbalance, or a team in whose shadow we will consistantly be stuck.

Back in the NFC West days, we had a different system in the NFL. yu could keep a good team and build on it for years hense the 49ers dynasty. Now most teams keep their overall team for 4-6 years. They can't keep everyone unless they play for the minimum and that won't happen. Every year someone new will make the playoffs. Back then you could just about tell what 5 teams would make the playoffs every year. Now it is more difficult. Both systems has their good points and bad points. I am not a fan of the salary cap. Can't keep your best players. And when you draft someone now you coach them until they develop into the player you want and then he leaves in FA.

The GM has the final decision but I think Micky Loomis is the type of GM that relies strongly on the head coach. It seemed like under Haslett, the players we were bringing in were the players Haslett wanted. Now it seems like all the players being brought in are specifically who Payton wants.

Back in the NFC West days, we had a different system in the NFL. yu could keep a good team and build on it for years hense the 49ers dynasty. Now most teams keep their overall team for 4-6 years. They can't keep everyone unless they play for the minimum and that won't happen. Every year someone new will make the playoffs. Back then you could just about tell what 5 teams would make the playoffs every year. Now it is more difficult. Both systems has their good points and bad points. I am not a fan of the salary cap. Can't keep your best players. And when you draft someone now you coach them until they develop into the player you want and then he leaves in FA.
I agree that the system is set up to provide chances for teams like a 3-13 Saints to become the division front runner the next season. I think, as a by-product of that system, coaching has become even more important. Look at teams like the Patriots. They seem churn their roster every year, yet come December, they're still in the hunt.

but how long can you depend on that? I mean your front line guys will be good but what about your backups? Use to you could be 2 deep in most positions. Can't do that now. But FA has shown that any team can rebuild quicker and it does come down to coaching.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom