N/S Looks Like Jimmy Johnson Isn’t Getting Into the Cowboys Ring of Honor (1 Viewer)

He wasn’t fired during the season. He finished his last season in ‘88 with a 3-13 record.
Correct on the timeline.

And the last-second loss to the Saints early in the ‘88 season surely greased the skids. Andersen nailed one of his countless game-winners that memorable night :)

But indeed I respected Landry. Much rather watch an old Cowgirls game from his era over any other era.

Jerry owes a good bit of his successful reign as superstar owner to Jimmy.
Had Johnson not brought Jerry those multiple SB wins, he’d simply be Dan Snyder with a Southern drawl.

The Cowboys’s incredible domination of that particular era paired with Jerry’s gift for spectacle is what made that dynasty legendary. Without the wins, however, he’d just be an eccentric owner with nothing but page six worthy antics to show for it. It’s shameful Jimmy isn’t in their ROH. Imagine Sean not getting into ours. It’d be a local firestorm.

Jerry’s ego is larger than his billion dollar play pen.

Correct on the timeline.

And the last-second loss to the Saints early in the ‘88 season surely greased the skids. Andersen nailed one of his countless game-winners that memorable night :)

But indeed I respected Landry. Much rather watch an old Cowgirls game from his era over any other era.
Want to hear something crazier and more astounding? You know why so many Saints fans back then, and even some today, see that last-second 1988 MNF win vs. Landry's Cowboys as such an historical, momentous achievement is because that was our franchise's first win vs. Cowboys in 17 years and only our 2nd time in franchise history. We had come close plenty of times earlier in the 1980's(especially in 1983 and 1984) but wed blown late or big leads in the 4th quarter in those previous games, but it was perceived league-wide, even by the late 80's that Dallas still kind of owned us, even though their team was in a deep, free-falling decline.

Jerry owes a good bit of his successful reign as superstar owner to Jimmy.
Had Johnson not brought Jerry those multiple SB wins, he’d simply be Dan Snyder with a Southern drawl.

The Cowboys’s incredible domination of that particular era paired with Jerry’s gift for spectacle is what made that dynasty legendary. Without the wins, however, he’d just be an eccentric owner with nothing but page six worthy antics to show for it. It’s shameful Jimmy isn’t in their ROH. Imagine Sean not getting into ours. It’d be a local firestorm.

Jerry’s ego is larger than his billion dollar play pen.
And that particular logical reasoning bothers, hurts and disturbs Jerry's ego and largely explains why he's unsuccessfully tried to win a Super Bowl his way and only by his way. There's nothing more painful then inconvenient truths and the inconvenient truth is that Jerry knows Cowboys fans and NFL fans of a certain age don't credit him solely for those SB wins in the 1990's and that means all the success, accolades, getting a billion-dollar multi-purpose stadium built for "America's Team", likely doesn't happen if not for Jimmy Johnson.

We shouldn't be completely dismissive of what Jones has achieved post-Triplets and post-90's dynasty, over the past two decades, Dallas has had 11 winning seasons, won three playoff games but hasn't advanced past the divisional round in over 27 years, those aren't bad numbers to have as an NFL owner, its better than what Snyder's achieved as Redskins/Commanders owner, but its just decent at best and a reputation as a paranoid, megalmaniacal control-freak in terms of hiring and firing HC's/assistants, personnel decisions, draft preparation and picks, and FA discussion/signings as an NFL owner.

I can't imagine Jerrah giving up his penchant to make not only personnel decisions as defacto GM, but also some in-game decisions. And I can't imagine Payton agreeing to this for any amount of $$$$. Maybe Payton will decide he can succeed despite Jones' meddling. If that is the case, I feel really sorry for Mike McCarthy. Maybe he can just retire from coaching, watch football on TV, and eat to his heart's content.
I don't know what, or how much it would take to sign Sean to coach in Dallas. But, I do know how much Jerry is going to offer him..............everything!!! The ether is starting to wear off for Cowboy fans. Jerry needs a big splash hire to pay off that new stadium. He will not be out bid.
You guys may very well be right and Sean will have the good sense to go elsewhere. But, Sean likes Jerry, and he really likes the city of Dallas. It's very familiar to him. It keeps him in the NFC, and they are not in our division.

Crazy how in 2022 some of Cowboy nation is hoping that they have a terrible season, subsequent firing of Mike and bring in Sean P.

That’s just crazy to me.

For the record, I don’t see Payton re entering that circus down in Arlington, TX with Jerry/Stephen & that bandwagon fan base.

But, I do know how much Jerry is going to offer him..............everything!!!
Except the one thing he really wants ... true autonomy. This will be the dealbreaker which will never happen whilst Jerrah's alive.

JJ is an egotistical a…hat and a jerk but his player personnel skills built those Boys SB teams…..Jone’s ego is the only thing that kept them from winning more SBs….and for that, I’m thankful…..

It didn't sound to me like he said he isn't getting it. It sounded to me like he's not ready to announce who is getting in and doesn't want one to overshadow the others.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom