Looks like the NFL is sending a message to the Broncos O-line! (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6195350

Nalen got fined 25 grand for going at Igor Olshansky's knees on a spike play. The fine is 2.5 times the 10 large that Olshansky was fined...and he was ejected, while Nalen didn't even draw a flag for his infraction.

Personally speaking, I think it's about time.

I don't blame Olshansky one bit. It was a spike play and Nalen tried to take him out and an insignificant play. That's just wrong. If Nalen would have succeded in doing what he tried to do, he would be victimized along the lines of Henderson from the Titans. It was a dirty play that deserved a fine. If it was me, I'd take it a step further and suspend him.

Yeah.. cut blocking is legal... but should be banned... blocking in the back is illegal, but you never see anybody get injured when that happens :dunno:

They have been getting away with that stuff for a long time. But you can hardly blame them, they dont get flaged and it works.

Personally, I think if its legal blocking tactic, it should be used. However, I watched that play, and he deserved the fine. There is no reason to chop block someone on a spike play, Olshansky didn't even attempt to rush on the play.

Glad they fined him that much. The play was pretty much over, and Olshansky bareley even attempted to rush.

Olshansky didn't even attempt to rush on the play.

And that's exactly my point. It was a spike play, everyone knew it was. If that was Michael Strahan on the other side, or Julius Peppers, the media would have been all over this. It was cheap and dirty. Cut blocking is dirty anyhow, the main difference is when an actual live play is going on the defenders know to look for it and try to avoid it. Had Olshansky not been as elusive, his knees would be blown out.

That wasn't a message to the offensive line it was a message to the players that want to take cheap shots.

I don't remember how long ago it was, but another Broncos lineman took someones knees out while he was away from the play. Ended the guys season.

I don't remember how long ago it was, but another Broncos lineman took someones knees out while he was away from the play. Ended the guys season.

I think I remember what you're talking about. I think the guy for the Broncos was named Foster and it was against the Bengals. I think he broke the guy's leg. It may have been a Monday Night Game but I could be mistaken.

It was Tony Williams DE for the Bengals. George Foster Landed on the guy's ankle far away from the play and ended his season. I haven't seen him (Williams) playing since. Is he still in the league?

I absolutely agree 100% with this fine. Nalen's act was far more despicable than the retaliation punches thrown by Olshansky. IMO he should have Haynesworthed that jerk.

Chop blocking is dirty.

Cut blocking isn't dirty, and should remain legal.

If we make cut blocking illegal, then we should make any tackling below the waist illegal as well.

Chop blocking is dirty.

Cut blocking isn't dirty, and should remain legal.

If we make cut blocking illegal, then we should make any tackling below the waist illegal as well.

I think that there is a difference between cut blocking in space and cut blocking in the trenches when it's difficult to see where it is coming from. It's not uncommon to see a back in pass protection cut an incoming blitzer. This is clean and part of the game. In the trenches, many of these cut blocks come from the side when it's difficult to see and therefore protect yourself.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom