Looks like the Saints [could lose] Taysom. (1 Viewer)

The conventional wisdom says Teddy will be offered Mid QB dollars which puts him outside our cap space.

Now a little birdie in Idaho tells me that Taysom's agent has solid nods from two mid and late draft teams who are ready to offer Taysom a number with 8 digits and give up a second round pick. If it's a 1st round pick the offers fall to 7-8 million and one or both may back way.

I'm guessing that in either scenario the Saints will have to fold and toss in their hand. I'm no expert on how you fudge the cap space but I had the impression that the Saints are hoping to sign Taysom for something under 6 million. Much more than that puts him out of reach especially with a draft pick in the bargain.

The only hope, I'm afraid, is a longer term extension with a huge escalation guaranteed in one to two years and some solid assurance that he is being groomed to take over.
If they get a second round pick for a guy they picked up on waivers, then they'd be stupid to not take it. You take that and you laugh all the way back to the office.

Then you sign Taysom after next season when that team realizes what a terrible mistake they made...

If they get a second round pick for a guy they picked up on waivers, then they'd be stupid to not take it. You take that and you laugh all the way back to the office.

Then you sign Taysom after next season when that team realizes what a terrible mistake they made...

Taysom Hill has PROVEN himself as a dynamic playmaker at the NFL level... that alone (even without a clearly designated position) gives him very good value...
More value than an unproven and unknown late 1st or 2nd round pick. Hill is a special player... there’s nobody else that can do all the things he does and does well.

Taysom Hill has PROVEN himself as a dynamic playmaker at the NFL level... that alone (even without a clearly designated position) gives him very good value...
More value than an unproven and unknown late 1st or 2nd round pick. Hill is a special player... there’s nobody else that can do all the things he does and does well.

I agree 100%. By the end of the season, he was the 2nd best WR on the field, he looked as though he could fill the Kamara role with more power, the best FB and the most explosive TE.

Taysom can play the Y and he's fast enough to play the Z, that's Shenault in this draft when comparing size as both are 6'2' 225lbs+.

With his ability and proof that he can do it at the highest level, you don't let a guy like that out of the building for a 1st unless you are gathering capital to make a huge move.

Last edited:
This is getting ridiculous

Sean Payton has talked him up tremendously as a QB and he and our staff know Hill's capabilities far more than we do

So either Payton thinks Hill is a high quality starter, or he has been lying to drive up Hill's value. Has to be one or the other....no other option.

As long as we have known Payton, does he seem like the type of person that would lie like this? That he would mess with one of his players heads like this? Its pretty much unthinkable

So if Payton thinks Hill is as good a QB as he stated, there is no way in hell he doesnt put a first round tender (if we dont get an agreement done instead) and there is no way he doesnt find a way to match or beat $8 mill a year which is a ridiculously cheap price for a starting QB

All this talk about a second round tender is asinine. I also dont think they let him go unless someone pops for a first rounder in the top half of the round which just aint gonna happen

Thought I'd put a little perspective on Hill as the playmaker.

Yards from scrimmage:
Thomas: 1716
Kamara: 1330
Murray: 872
Cook: 705
Ginn: 439
Hill: 390
Hill obviously wasn't THE playmaker for the Saints due to his limited volume (6 passing attempts, 27 rushes, & 22 targets), but when his number was called, he was absolutely a playmaker for the team with 5.8 yards per rush and a catch (completion) rate of 86% yielding 12.3 yards per reception.

Last edited:

Not sure if you understand that a team giving up a draft pick would be doing so after signing him to a contract that the Saints choose not to match. No team would sign him to a single year contract or get rid of him after just one year.

• 1Like
Reactions: LoE
I think that what Taysom has brought to our team has been an attitude that lifts his team mates up and he makes it difficult for other teams to plan against.
placing a first round tender on him basically pays him for what he has done if we keep him but allows him to get a big payday from other teams if they want him. While the Saints May choose not to match an offer because of our own restraints or look into our cap future become strictly a business decision.
I would not take a second round pick for him because if it does not give us the needed ammunition to get another young QB he will be needed and deserves a chance to prove his QB effectiveness. The tag would only be a one year deal so we’re not tied long term this year.

The conventional wisdom says Teddy will be offered Mid QB dollars which puts him outside our cap space.

Now a little birdie in Idaho tells me that Taysom's agent has solid nods from two mid and late draft teams who are ready to offer Taysom a number with 8 digits and give up a second round pick. If it's a 1st round pick the offers fall to 7-8 million and one or both may back way.

I'm guessing that in either scenario the Saints will have to fold and toss in their hand. I'm no expert on how you fudge the cap space but I had the impression that the Saints are hoping to sign Taysom for something under 6 million. Much more than that puts him out of reach especially with a draft pick in the bargain.

The only hope, I'm afraid, is a longer term extension with a huge escalation guaranteed in one to two years and some solid assurance that he is being groomed to take over.

Holly crap. This didn’t go well. ??

Apparently, you need to come up with a complete back story and create a persona to post inside scoop.

outside of the pay difference of the round, this is actually a plausible situation.

what world am I living in? ?????

A3BC9C5E-87C5-4B08-AF59-8A40E1E343CB.jpeg

That sounds like agent-talk. Only teams like Cleveland fall for it which means the agent really doing his client a service, just hoping to line his pocket.

I'm still trying to figure out how this guy was an insider. A picture in a suite with a bottle of Caffine Free Diet Coke does not one make. I'm sure you can find that picture somewhere on the internet anyhow. Heck I can call myself an insider cause my wife went to the same middle school as Drew Brees.

Thought I'd put a little perspective on Hill as the playmaker.

Yards from scrimmage:
Thomas: 1716
Kamara: 1330
Murray: 872
Cook: 705
Ginn: 439
Hill: 390

What would the breakdown be if you looked at yards/production vs opportunities with the ball?
When Taysom Hill has the ball thrown his way, handed to him/snapped to him, or throws it... positive yardage usually happens.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom