Loomis: “Drew Brees can play as long as he wants” (1 Viewer)

Brees completed 364 of his 489 pass attempts last season while completing an NFL record 74.7 percent of his throws, amassing 3,992 passing yards in total, scoring 32 touchdowns in the air, was intercepted just five times, rushed for four additional touchdowns, recorded a 115.7 passer rating, and led the Saints on an NFL high seven game winning drives.
Coming into this season, Brees needs just 20 touchdown passes to overcome the current league record of 539 that was made by Peyton Manning with Denver in the 2014 season.
Early in the offseason, Brees said that he hoped to ideally play football until the age of 45, saying that he enjoyed the 2018 season more than most.
“I’ve narrowed my mindset to be so singularly focused on what’s right in front of me and staying in the moment as much as I can,” Brees told The Dan Patrick Show. “I had more fun playing football this year and I’ve had in a long, long time and I think it’s because of that mindset.”
Even if Brees did play until he was 45, he would still be shy of the NFL record, held currently by George Blanda, who quarterbacked four teams from 1949 to 1975 before retiring at the age of 48.

Brees's numbers for last year are just sick. Of course Mahommes had to go and throw 50 TD's and win the MVP. While many thought Drew had a down year because of his not throwing for over 4,000 yards, they don't realize that the fewer yards he needs to throw for, the better the team is likely doing. He finally doesn't need to shoulder the load since the defense can get off the field and if that trend continues, I could see him physically being able to play as long as he really wants to. If Vinny Testaverde and George Blanda can play into their mid-to-late forties, I don't see any reason a healthy Drew Brees couldn't as well. Especially with the advancements in modern medicine, nutrition and training that wasn't even available to guys like the two aforementioned.

The year is 2147. The Vince Lombardi trophy has been renamed the Drew Brees Trophy and the Saints have won the last 128 consecutive Super Bowls. Due to Brees opting to start playing defense in 2091 and began kicking in 2094, he now holds every single record known to mankind and the NFL record book has been scrapped since it is now essentially Drew Brees’ autobiography.

He still feels he has “one more year playing at a high level.”

Last edited:
LOL at his Walter Payton Man of the Year patch looking like it's standing on his shoulder. Good job with the pic though. Saved a copy for myself!

The year is 2147. The Vince Lombardi trophy has been renamed the Drew Brees Trophy and the Saints have won the last 128 consecutive Super Bowls. Due to Brees opting to start playing defense in 2091 and began kicking in 2094, he now holds every single record known to mankind and the NFL record book has been scrapped since it is now essentially Drew Brees’ autobiography.

He still feels he has “one more year playing at a high level.”

Come on that’s just not even realistic. I mean Kicking? We’ll still have Lutz for that

I've heard it said that it's best to let a player go one year too soon instead of one year too late.

I'm fine with Brees staying until it's completely and totally obvious that it's time for him to go. He's meant that much to the team and to the state. And it would certainly suck to cut bait with him (under the guise of "we think he's justtttt about to fall off") and then watch him sign a 1 year deal elsewhere and go on a run similar to what Favre had in 2009 with Minny.

Peyton Manning is an example of someone who clearly stayed a year too late...........but the end result was still finishing his career with another SB ring.

Brees's numbers for last year are just sick. Of course Mahommes had to go and throw 50 TD's and win the MVP. While many thought Drew had a down year because of his not throwing for over 4,000 yards, they don't realize that the fewer yards he needs to throw for, the better the team is likely doing. He finally doesn't need to shoulder the load since the defense can get off the field and if that trend continues, I could see him physically being able to play as long as he really wants to. If Vinny Testaverde and George Blanda can play into their mid-to-late forties, I don't see any reason a healthy Drew Brees couldn't as well. Especially with the advancements in modern medicine, nutrition and training that wasn't even available to guys like the two aforementioned.

^
^
^
What he said

I've heard it said that it's best to let a player go one year too soon instead of one year too late.

I'm fine with Brees staying until it's completely and totally obvious that it's time for him to go. He's meant that much to the team and to the state. And it would certainly suck to cut bait with him (under the guise of "we think he's justtttt about to fall off") and then watch him sign a 1 year deal elsewhere and go on a run similar to what Favre had in 2009 with Minny.

Peyton Manning is an example of someone who clearly stayed a year too late...........but the end result was still finishing his career with another SB ring.

Hey!!! I like it!!! Pull a Peyton Manning, stay a year too late, win another SB & parade that Lombardi right down the streets of NOLA ??

I’m telling you guys here and now! If TH has a great pre season the Saints will trade Bridgewater off to a team that needs a starting quarterback due to injury or complete lack of having a good quarterback!

They will recoup their 3rd round pick and or surpass it!

Drew will play another 3-5 years.

Fine by me. Drew is competitive but he does not want to suck. I think he will know when it's time and hang them up at the right time. if he plays a year or two too long I can live with that. Dude is a legend.

I’m telling you guys here and now! If TH has a great pre season the Saints will trade Bridgewater off to a team that needs a starting quarterback due to injury or complete lack of having a good quarterback!

They will recoup their 3rd round pick and or surpass it!

Drew will play another 3-5 years.

I’d love to see Drew play many more years if he so chooses, but he hangs em up after this season.

Guaranteed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom