Loomis get Drew done quick! (1 Viewer)

This is a tough call for ML.... Right now DB looks as sharp as ever and no indication that he is slipping. On the other hand if you tie up $60+ million in guarantees and he does slip or God forbid get hurt, many will criticize an extension....and more important than fan criticism severely hurt the future of the team.... I trust ML despite some obvious errors.

Before last night, McCown was the competent veteran backup who 'almost beat a great Carolina team'. Not to suggest he'd be anything more than a stopgap answer for the future anyway.

Grayson is, of course, only a second year guy who has seen very little pro action. How can anybody possibly know for certain what the future holds for him yet, coaches included?

And let's not forget, Brees was pretty pedestrian his first couple of years as the starter in San Diego.

I hope, like pretty much any other Saints fan, that a deal gets done with Brees soon. I want to see him finish his career here. But even so, our instant-gratification society could stand to pump the brakes a little and give things some time.

Before last night, McCown was the competent veteran backup who 'almost beat a great Carolina team'. Not to suggest he'd be anything more than a stopgap answer for the future anyway.

Grayson is, of course, only a second year guy who has seen very little pro action. How can anybody possibly know for certain what the future holds for him yet, coaches included?

And let's not forget, Brees was pretty pedestrian his first couple of years as the starter in San Diego.

I hope, like pretty much anybody else, that a deal gets done with Brees soon. I want to see him finish his career here. But even so, our instant-gratification society could stand to pump the brakes a little and give things some time.

Next year is only 12 months away. I am getting nervous about our QB future.

This is a tough call for ML.... Right now DB looks as sharp as ever and no indication that he is slipping. On the other hand if you tie up $60+ million in guarantees and he does slip or God forbid get hurt, many will criticize an extension....and more important than fan criticism severely hurt the future of the team.... I trust ML despite some obvious errors.

When you have a once in a generation talent, you take the chance.

Just my opinion.

Next year is only 12 months away. I am getting nervous about our QB future.

Sure. There's not a guy on the roster who is going to pick up where Drew leaves off. Not now, not down the road.

If the end of the era does come sooner than we'd like, it's going to take some time to develop somebody, whether that's Grayson or another player. I like Luke, but he's not Drew and he's not going to perform like Drew. He's on the downslope of his career, too.

What I don't understand are the overreactions to preseason games. Again, and it's important to remember, Drew didn't play like an all-time great when he started out. It takes time.

The only time you will see the back up QB's play is preseason. When else are you going to access things?

To be fair to JM with the 1s last year against Carolina he wasn't bad , NE has been stock piling picks and building a roster for yrs where we have really haven't drafted well nor did great in FA

Their 3s are better than our 2s

GG isn't the answer though and I'm not sure about drafting a QB again , Sign Brees and let him play till he is done if after he is done we have to be really bad which puts us in position to draft a true No.1 QB then that's fine - we have been bad before

It's clear the 3rd we used on GG would have been better spent on just about any position on the feild

We need to build a better team now in Brees last contract instead on trying to replace him, Brees needs talent around him to win playoff games and the new QB post Brees will need an even better team around him

Our current philosophy has lead us to avg and an injury or two we are sub 500 due to zero depth which we saw last night

Were people honestly expecting Grayson to be franchise QB material ever? Or failing that, at least able to make Brees slightly expendable? Nothing has changed. There's nothing "new" about this news.

The only time you will see the back up QB's play is preseason. When else are you going to access things?

That's not the point - the issue is what people read into that assessment, and what barometer they are using as a means of evaluation.

The author, himself, says the backups didn't stink, they just didn't stand out to him. How often do players really stand-out in loosely scripted preseason games, though? And how do we each define what a stand-out performance looks like? Edebali and Michael Thomas are a couple of guys who had solid showings, but then isn't it equally prudent to not make too much of that?

Sure. There's not a guy on the roster who is going to pick up where Drew leaves off. Not now, not down the road.

If the end of the era does come sooner than we'd like, it's going to take some time to develop somebody, whether that's Grayson or another player. I like Luke, but he's not Drew and he's not going to perform like Drew. He's on the downslope of his career, too.

What I don't understand are the overreactions to preseason games. Again, and it's important to remember, Drew didn't play like an all-time great when he started out. It takes time.

Right. To expect ANYONE to come in and perform at Drew's level immediately is simply too lofty of expectations. There's few WBs in the league that can say they're on his level. It's not fair to expect the next guy to be able to. We have been spoiled with Drew, and this blog is further proof of that.

Were people honestly expecting Grayson to be franchise QB material ever?

Shouldn't be the expectation, but nor should people be reaching the conclusion, right now, that he never possibly can be.

Nothing wrong with giving a player time to develop and seeing where it leads. Not sure why it needs to be more than that.

Again, and it's important to remember, Drew didn't play like an all-time great when he started out. It takes time.

Well, in his defense, he was playing in a Marty Schottenheimer offense that was pretty much run left, run right and throw if you have to. It may take a little extra time to develop QB's in a system that mostly runs.

Hated the Grayson pick then and still do, he's shown nothing to where it look like he belongs on the roster

I'm in the camp that most teams dont go from Montana to Young, or Favre to Rodgers... so who cares if we gamble and lose, and Brees doesnt complete a 3-4 year contract? We'll suck anyway, so why worry about dead cap? The upside of the gamble is HUGE, and not unlikely.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom