Loomis get Drew done quick! (2 Viewers)

Well, in his defense, he was playing in a Marty Schottenheimer offense that was pretty much run left, run right and throw if you have to. It may take a little extra time to develop QB's in a system that mostly runs.

And by the same token, Grayson playing a lot of his very limited action spread over a handful of preseason games, where not much goes into scheming and play-calling, with a supporting cast, many of whom will either be depth or won't make the final cut, has to be taken in the full and proper context.

His play on the field isn't unimportant, but the coaches are evaluating criteria that go beyond what we, as fans, can take away from these games. How is he handling the calls, alignments, and snaps? How is he doing going through his progressions? How do they rate his decision-making and composure? What do they think of his progression from last season and against their own expectations and timetable?

Grayson was in with the starters this game except for the 3 reps Drew got. The Patriots secondary have been one of the most forgiving in football.

Grayson was in with the starters this game except for the 3 reps Drew got. The Patriots secondary have been one of the most forgiving in football.

And he was 10/16 (62.5%) for 133 yards, 1 int, and led two TD drives.

What was the expectation for him in his first preseason game of his second NFL season?

Right. To expect ANYONE to come in and perform at Drew's level immediately is simply too lofty of expectations. There's few WBs in the league that can say they're on his level. It's not fair to expect the next guy to be able to. We have been spoiled with Drew, and this blog is further proof of that.

And to be fair to Grayson, Brees really didn't perform at current Brees level his first couple of years in the league.

The question is does Grayson have the intangibles to be a serviceable qb in this league? I don't know if we've seen enough to know that yet.

What was the expectation for him in his first preseason game of his second NFL season?

Agreed. His pick was a bad decision, but that'll get fixed with reps and time as the nerves settle down. Without all the turnovers, the Saints would've won that game.

He looked better than I honestly expected him to and his ability to scramble (or run, really) is something that he can do that none of our other QB's can really do, so there are some designed runs that could be put into the game plan for him which could be game-changing type plays. (Alex Smith running a naked bootleg into the end zone in SF for that 2011 debacle of a playoff game ring a bell?)

When you have a once in a generation talent, you take the chance.

Just my opinion.

I agree that you take a chance on him because of the success he's had. However, (I'll get it for this one) I wouldn't consider him a once in a generation talent.

I only say this because of all the other amazing quarterbacks of this generation. How can he be considered a "once in a generation" player when there are several quarterbacks in this generation that many will put on the level or ahead of Brees when it's all said and done. (Manning, Brady, Rodgers)

I mean, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't take any other QB because I love Drew's story. I just think if we had to choose the best quarterback of this generation, it's Tom Brady without a doubt...followed by Manning. So he isn't a once in a generation type of player when he hasn't even cemented himself as the best quarterback in the league.

But...we should take the risk, because of what he's done and because he is a special player.

And to be clear, I'm not trying to build up Grayson. I have no idea what the future holds for him. Just trying to stay grounded in the acknowledgement that there's a development and evaluation process that encompasses more than just playing time, and he's still pretty early on in that.

When you have a once in a generation talent, you take the chance.

Just my opinion.

Yeah I think you have to. We'll never have another HOF QB in our lifetime. Might as well hitch your wagon to him and ride it out as long as you can. It's possible that Drew's play falls off dramatically and we're a 5 win team. I understand that but at the same time how many wins are we looking at without him? 2?

And that INT was a bounce off the fingers of Coleman.

I think some of the push back on Grayson is due to many of us not getting a larger sample size of what he can actually do. Grayson is in year 2 and still cannot beat out the 2nd string QB....making McCown expendable...that is saying something about Grayson's development or his talent. May he needs more time....

I agree that most that most teams don't go from Montana/Young, Favre/Rodgers, or Bledsoe/Brady, but we can also position ourselves by signing Drew for a few more years to either: 1.) Continue to develop Grayson or 2.) Draft a QB (Manning/Luck) or 3.) Roll the dice in FA and "hope" to sign another QB similar to Drew's talent (which I seriously doubt)....

Grayson is in year 2 and still cannot beat out the 2nd string QB....making McCown expendable...that is saying something about Grayson's development or his talent.

Not really when you understand that all it means so far is that the staff didn't feel comfortable going with a rookie 3rd rounder as the backup to Brees last season. We don't yet know how it's going to play out this season, after only one preseason game.

And it isn't, at all, an oddity for team's to carry three QBs - it all depends on the circumstances.

Not really when you understand that all it means so far is that the staff didn't feel comfortable going with a rookie 3rd rounder as the backup to Brees last season. We don't yet know how it's going to play out this season, after only one preseason game.

And it isn't, at all, an oddity for team's to carry three QBs - it all depends on the circumstances.

I hear you DavidM, but see Russell Wilson who was a rookie 3rd rounder that not only beat out the 2nd string QB, but also became the starting QB.

Link:
How Russell Wilson won the starting QB job for the Seahawks - Seattle Seahawks & NFL News

I hear you DavidM, but see Russell Wilson who was a rookie 3rd rounder that not only beat out the 2nd string QB, but also became the starting QB.

Link:
How Russell Wilson won the starting QB job for the Seahawks - Seattle Seahawks & NFL News
Two points. First of all, Russell Wilson and Joe Montana are anomalies. Not a lot of Hall of Fame or Super Bowl winning 3rd rounders out there.

Secondly, Tavares Jackson and Matt Flynn may have been first and second string players, but that's not saying that they actually deserve those slots.

Which worked out great for the Seahawks but obviously isn't a realistic timetable or expectation for most rookie QBs.

I totally agree with you DavidM as far as the realistic timetable or expectation for most rookie QBs, and to be clear, that was not my expectations for Grayson to come in and beat out Drew. However, I was expecting him to be in that Chase Daniels role meaning competing and pushing Drew and beating out McCown by now....

Link:
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2016/03/new_eagles_qb_chase_daniel_told_drew_brees_im_comi.html

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom