Loomis holding up Payton trade per Pelissero + Payton says in next week we’ll know more EDIT: Payton to Denver talks regain momentum/starting page 20 (1 Viewer)

The Saints don’t owe Payton anything. This is between the Saints and the team that wants to hire Payton. Loomis’ job is to get the best deal he can for the Saints, not a deal so Payton gets to coach where he wants to coach.

I’m not a draftnik but these are a couple of proposals from Saintswire for trades with the Broncos and Cardinals. They look reasonable to me. What say you?
Both of those scenarios sound reasonable to me. I applaud Loomis for standing firm. I don't really thinks he'll be getting two firsts, especially with the AZ pick being so high in value.

And Payton didn't set the world on fire at Fox. His value as a head coach is higher than in the studio, for now anyway. He could improve with time.

Personally, I never thought Sean Payton was worth 2 first found draft picks as compensation. I kinda find it hard to believe that that was the original prerequisite baseline to allow an interview. Sean himself came out publicly stating it would take something like a mid range R1 pick to comp the Saints. So was Sean only speculating or did Loomis move the goal post and up the ante?

If I’m a team owner and the comp is two-ones, Sean doesn’t even get an interview. Now, if in fact Loomis set the pre interview baseline at 2 first round picks, and team(s) are now trying to renegotiate that pre interview agreement, I’d hold the line too, i.e., “You knew this in advance, not our problem, pay up or move on.” I realize that obviously, the comp had to be different for certain teams, i.e., Carolina, but if Loomis is flip flopping, which is very possible in my eyes of how he operates, then shame on him.
So you won't believe all the other reports but you'll believe what Payton said?

I agree it's not complicated. I'm saying that fans don't employ GMs. Their employers are the owners, who have direct input on whether they stay in the job.

The fans are stakeholders. Their input is indirect, as proven every time an owner ignores them to retain an unpopular member of staff.

This is probably also a case of fan support rarely/ever actually falling off significantly enough to force the owner's hand.
And yet, why do owners around the league routinely fire coaches after only one or two years, even when they're on the hook for the rest of their salary?

Listening to Underhill last night on 4th down, he thinks the odds are that Payton returns to Fox.

Cards don't want to give up the number 3 pick and are posturing.

Let’s say he’s free from his contract in September, what does that have to do with the cards this season? Are they guna go without a coach until his contract expires? No, they will have no choice but I move on and get a coach… so they don’t get the coach they wanted, they can’t wait out the contract.

The only value that is lost is the Saints are closer to getting nothing but if the team proves they are willing to let the contract expire then they lose no leverage this year or next.
Exactly. The idea that if we don't move him this year then the asking price goes DOWN is ludicrous. Lude a crisp I say!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom