Loomis holding up Payton trade per Pelissero + Payton says in next week we’ll know more EDIT: Payton to Denver talks regain momentum/starting page 20 (1 Viewer)

Jus throwing this out there.
But if Payton stays, what are the odds Payton just stays at FOX for good?

And yet, why do owners around the league routinely fire coaches after only one or two years, even when they're on the hook for the rest of their salary?
All kinds of reasons. Wanting to win Super Bowls most likely.

Somewhere in among that list of possible factors is what the fans think, that's why they are stakeholders. But pretending that fans directly decide a coach or GM's fate is fallacious. Their employers decide.

The Cards have a HC vacancy. It shouldn't be considered odd they're interviewing mulitple people for the job.
Would be odd if they had already decided on their new coach. So, gives impression they are having issues with hiring Payton and/or have moved on.

Would be odd if they had already decided on their new coach. So, gives impression they are having issues with hiring Payton and/or have moved on.
Since when did they decide on a new coach? They are interviewing for their HC job, shouldn't be cause for concern they're doing their due dilligence.

He knows after the CJGJ trade and the draft day trade from last year, he can't afford to botch this (in the court of public opinion).
Loomis has to absolutely nail this…..after his very recent trade disasters he knows if he screws this up fans will run him out of town on a rail. But given his recent trade record my confidence is very low that he won’t overplay his hand and he’ll end up with little at best and nothing at worst.

Since when did they decide on a new coach? They are interviewing for their HC job, shouldn't be cause for concern they're doing their due dilligence.
That's the point. If after the interview with Payton they decide they need to see another coach (he was not their first interview), there is a reason they are interviewing other candidates. Would seem they did not decide on Payton, or at lease are not sure.

That's the point. If after the interview with Payton they decide they need to see another coach (he was not their first interview), there is a reason they are interviewing other candidates. Would seem they did not decide on Payton, or at lease are not sure.
Yes, all it means is they didn't decide. You said, "So, gives impression they are having issues with hiring Payton and/or have moved on." in the first post when that's not necessarily the case. They're just conducting multiple interviews. As far as we know Payton is still very much an option for them.

This makes no sense.
There’s a competitive advantage to the Saints that goes with not having Payton as a head coach in the league at all, both by reason of the depth of his intel in relation to the team and the heightened likelihood that he targets our players and/or our personnel.

I get the impetus to acquire something in exchange for Payton, but frankly, I would rather get nothing and have him sit for two years than exchange him now for anything less than a combination of early picks (or something like pick 3).

They probably have a list of candidates they want to interview, and it just happens that Payton wasn't the last one. I can't blame a team for doing their due diligence. I don't think it means anything.

Loomis has to absolutely nail this…..after his very recent trade disasters he knows if he screws this up fans will run him out of town on a rail. But given his recent trade record my confidence is very low that he won’t overplay his hand and he’ll end up with little at best and nothing at worst.
One thing is for sure, not matter what the terms of the trade might be, some posters will think he nailed it, and others will say he got played, and others will be suicidal. As the SSF turns.

Somewhere in among that list of possible factors is what the fans think, that's why they are stakeholders. But pretending that fans directly decide a coach or GM's fate is fallacious. Their employers decide.
I was never confused about that. I understand that we don't literally write Loomis' checks. :shrug:

I don’t think so. Only coaching will satisfy his ego.
I am not sure about that. Sean Payton is doing well on TV, specially with Collin Cowherd.

If Jimmy Johnson is thinking on retiring, Fox may be enticing Sean to stay and claim his place. I think that is a very good job to have.

Reality of the matter is Sean will not coach for the sake of coaching, he already has a very good job. He will coach if he gets the opportunity he wants, not ANY opportunity.

As for Loomis, it didn't hurt for him to give permission to any team that requested a chance to talk to Payton. He have given a rough idea of what we wants on a deal, but I don't think he gave precise terms. Nothing to lose by giving consent to many teams.

We really don't know what will happen, but I am sure Sean has been enjoying being the talk of the league in recent weeks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom