Loomis holding up Payton trade per Pelissero + Payton says in next week we’ll know more EDIT: Payton to Denver talks regain momentum/starting page 20 (1 Viewer)

FAKE NEWS: nobody wanted Sean and he needs this as a baragaining chip for next year. Mickey wins, Payton wins, Saints lose.

There's something going on that's not being said aloud, in my opinion. If I were to interview Payton, my first thing I'd want to know is why he left the Saints. If everything in terms of control and culture that he desires existed in NOLA, why is he leaving and what's to say that he wouldn't leave under contract again?

If I'm wrong and it's just Loomis asking for a lot, I say HOLD. Keep the petty in NOLA and make it damned hard for Payton to get what he wants.

At this point I don’t care wether it helps or doesn’t. I’d make the decision on principle, I’d rather him sit out vs getting lowballed and look like fools to the fan base and NFL for letting him off the hook for a second. Fulfill the contract or sit out.
I'd take it a step further and if nothing comes next year either I'd take the issue of Payton's contract to court. Until he fulfills the years on his contract as the Saints coach he's still under contract.

If true then I’m very glad to have been wrong about the compensation they’d seek. 😊
Happily eating crow, even tho it means we may get nada.

Have we ever gotten clarity on if Sean’s contract tolls from year to year? It would seem to me that it would, but who knows.

What if the game being played here is Loomis has his price, knows Sean wants to coach, and is basically in “Coach here or nowhere” mode unless he gets the price he wants?
Nobody really knows about the contract. Most media types seem to think his contract ends when the last year is over, but some people think that the unfulfilled years are there forever and the Saints are owed compensation if he ever wants to be an NFL Head Coach again. Loomis seemed to say that they had him locked up through the years left, but that may have been him playing nice. Florio, who is a lawyer and not just some football hack reporter, seems to think there's a legitimate argument that Sean Payton is the "property" of the Saints until THEY release him. That is my opinion also, no matter how many reporters want to say otherwise. Loomis was playing nice. If Sean Payton wants to come back in 2026, 2027, etc, Loomis will ask the Commissioner to arbitrate the issue and the Saints will probably get something.

Loomis probably told teams who were interested, that it would take "at least" a mid first round pick in 2023 AND other compensation. It is possible that Arizona, who does not have a "mid first round" pick and Denver, who does not have a mid first round pick, may not want to pay the exact price. I don't think the Saints should give back a single pick, the "rounding error" can go to the detriment of the team trading for him.

I'm ok with him sitting out and staying on Fox. He made the franchise relevant, but he also quit when things looked bleak and he was pretty much floating soon after that he wanted to coach again. He was not "burned out" he just wanted a break. I don't begrudge him for that, but his break was for 10 minutes. He wants back in, he wants the juice. This is Sean Payton floating it out there that the team(s) don't want to pay the draft choices. Either to make Loomis blink or because he didn't get a job offer.

Personally, I never thought Sean Payton was worth 2 first found draft picks as compensation. I kinda find it hard to believe that that was the original prerequisite baseline to allow an interview. Sean himself came out publicly stating it would take something like a mid range R1 pick to comp the Saints. So was Sean only speculating or did Loomis move the goal post and up the ante?

If I’m a team owner and the comp is two-ones, Sean doesn’t even get an interview. Now, if in fact Loomis set the pre interview baseline at 2 first round picks, and team(s) are now trying to renegotiate that pre interview agreement, I’d hold the line too, i.e., “You knew this in advance, not our problem, pay up or move on.” I realize that obviously, the comp had to be different for certain teams, i.e., Carolina, but if Loomis is flip flopping, which is very possible in my eyes of how he operates, then shame on him.

zjfFCxt.gif

I'd take it a step further and if nothing comes next year either I'd take the issue of Payton's contract to court. Until he fulfills the years on his contract as the Saints coach he's still under contract.
Oh yeah, I’ve said on other posts, Gayle has deeper pockets and a team of lawyers to drop this out until Payton is drawing social security.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom