Loomis in the HC Search: More Important to Get It Right Than Do It Quick (1 Viewer)

Nah. In the article, it's clear that Loomis was going to do a full search for a head coach no matter how much he might like DA. I mean, Payton even recommended DA as the HC. That has to carry a lot of weight for Loomis. But Loomis is doing the right thing and is interviewing other candidates.

Conclusion jumping is rampant....just sayin....I like this due diligence, it's a good thing....

Conclusion jumping is rampant....just sayin....I like this due diligence, it's a good thing....

Honestly, that's why I bothered to post this thread. There has been a lot of speculation and people jumping to the conclusion that DA would be the coach and any interviews were a farce or just to satisfy the Rooney Rule.

There has been no information from the Saints about what was going on, only a vague statement from Mrs. Benson saying they would look inside and outside the organization. This is a clear statement from Loomis that they like Allen, but they also like other candidates and that they will do a through search without rushing to hire a coach or defaulting to hire Dennis Allen. Like Loomis said, it's more important to do this right than to do it quick.

BTW, I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or proud of all of you for not responding with TWSS to Loomis saying "it's more important to do this right than to do it quick."

Loomis mat love DA as the next HC, but as a GM that hasn't had to hire an HC is 16 years you probably wanna look around and take your time interviewing as many candidates as possible.
What if Leftwich doesn't work out in Jacksonville and he's looking for a job the same offseason we're looking of an OC down the road.
I hope Mickey takes a few more weeks.

But like, why not interview Carmichael?

Apparently Carmichael long ago decided that he did not want a HC job and was happy to be the Saints OC for as long as he could. He liked the stability of the job and not having to move his family. This is according to Underhill.

So, either Carmichael has decided that he doesn't want to be considered for the HC job or since he has not wanted a HC job for so long, Loomis doesn't feel he is a good candidate for the job. Or, maybe he will change his mind later and Loomis will give him an interview.

Translation: Dennis Allen isn't going to be our next head coach.

I don't get that from this article at all. What I get is that Dennis Allen is on even footing with several guys that they like and that they will interview all the good candidates, including Allen before making a decision. Loomis may well like Allen, but he isn't going to give him the job before he knows what Allen's plan is for the future of the team or before comparing Allen's plan for the future of the team to the plans that others may have for the future of the team.

And frankly, it's not fair to Allen to judge him prior to giving him time to develop his plan for the future since he didn't know Payton was leaving until 30 minutes prior to the press conference announcing he was leaving. I would also think that's part of the reason that you don't just interview outside coaches right away. You want them to look at your team, roster, cap etc. and make a plan for how they will move forward. And nobody knew the the HC job in New Orleans would be open until Tuesday so those guys need time to develop a plan.

The only truly fair thing to do for the team is to conduct a genuine search. I think they consider Allen a great prospect, but the Saints are one of the most desirable destinations for any head coach. Owner who happily pays to make sure the front office and coaching staff is well taken care of, owner also does not meddle at all. GM who has surrounded himself with the best scouts and cap gurus possible, who also doesn't meddle. A roster with a young and talented core balanced with well respected vets, a roster that went 9-8 and nearly made the playoffs despite having the most starters due to injuries in NFL history. The Saints have plenty of draft picks and we all know Loomis and Harley will do whatever they need to do to be competitive in free agency. If I am a Head Coaching candidate, New Orleans is a dream job.

I am not trying to disrespect Allen, but it would be criminal if the Saints did not do an actual search before making a decision.

Teams like Jacksonville aren't desirable. The owner sucks, the team sucks, all you've got is Lawrence who may or may not be an NFL QB. You're looking at two to three years before being competitive in a best case scenario. The Saints are a playoff caliber team right now with no one at QB and they are only going to be healthier and deeper in 2022.
The Jags draft capital and cap capital are much more appealing than the Saints. After watching a season of Lawrence closely, he’s a good QB. If they surround him with decent talent he’s going to be the type of guy who will win games for you. I still think I’d prefer the Saints job, but the gap isn’t as big as you think.

I don't get that from this article at all. What I get is that Dennis Allen is on even footing with several guys that they like and that they will interview all the good candidates, including Allen before making a decision. Loomis may well like Allen, but he isn't going to give him the job before he knows what Allen's plan is for the future of the team or before comparing Allen's plan for the future of the team to the plans that others may have for the future of the team.

And frankly, it's not fair to Allen to judge him prior to giving him time to develop his plan for the future since he didn't know Payton was leaving until 30 minutes prior to the press conference announcing he was leaving. I would also think that's part of the reason that you don't just interview outside coaches right away. You want them to look at your team, roster, cap etc. and make a plan for how they will move forward. And nobody knew the the HC job in New Orleans would be open until Tuesday so those guys need time to develop a plan.
I don't buy Allen didn't know before the decision was announced, just like most of us think Payton has probably implicitly supported the idea of Allen being his replacement. I'm sure any coordinator who aspires to be a head coach must have a basic strategy portfolio on how they would approach a new position, so they just need to research the team's specific issues. If anything, the other candidates need more time. Allen has the inside track but that doesn't mean another candidate can't knock the interview out the part.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom