Loomis in the HC Search: More Important to Get It Right Than Do It Quick | Page 8 | New Orleans Saints - SaintsReport.com

Loomis in the HC Search: More Important to Get It Right Than Do It Quick (1 Viewer)

Currently reading:
Loomis in the HC Search: More Important to Get It Right Than Do It Quick (1 Viewer)

Judge_Smails

Above Average Yachtsman
Reaction score
That's why I think if they hire DA as the head coach we are in trouble because there is no way you do an extensive search then hire your DC. I would also include whomever the coach is if they don't retain the defensive staff that is also a mistake because that side of the ball is set it's the offense that needs rebuilding/adjusting.
It’s possible to have an exhaustive search and still hire the person down the hall. If you have a strong organization that is consistently successful, then you should reasonably be able to promote from within.

SweetT

Old alias known as FLASH
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Assuming again. You should go be the coach or GM since you know so much about what goes on at the executive level of the saints... at least in your mind...lol.
I believe SP was the one who designed the vast majority of plays. Brees had input as to which plays he liked, at what times of the game, and what situations. 2012 was Carmichael as OC and we all know why. But in 2011, at some point, SP gave the playcalling duties to Carmichael. Not sure how many games, but it happened. Outside of those two times (and obviously the game against the Bucs this past year) it was all SP as the true OC. How much input Carmichael had with designing plays? Not sure, but I’m sure he had some. If I had to guess percentage wise…..15%-20% tops. I would say that I feel Carmichael is solid. I mean, at no point in 2011 and 2012 did I ever think the offense was the problem. Those are the two years that he got to shine. However, our offense was loaded with talent with a HOF QB at those times. That makes a huge difference.

JackDiesel

SR is my life!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He called Sean Payton's plays, he did not design anything...I hate this argument.

And you know this how? Payton himself has said it was a collaborative effort since Carmichael was Brees QB coach in San Diego. He knew what Brees was comfortable with and was able to mesh those plays with what Payton wanted. Surely you're not naive enough to believe the playbook was just designed by Payton...

Was Payton also telling him the game plans in 2012? And when to call which play on which down, etc? Did Payton tell him to call our most balanced offense we had in years and not just rely on Brees arm like we so often did under Payton?

It's an argument because it's factual and logical. Unlike yours.

Slidell Mike

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
In the process of vetting various candidates for the HC position rather than immediately making an in-house hire, I think Loomis at least benefits from getting different perspectives of the organization (coaches, personnel, etc.) and vision that others coaches see in the opportunity to coach the Saints. That is not a bad thing. Even if Loomis is "in love" with hiring DA after they have an official interview, he would be doing a disservice to himself as GM and the Saints organization to not interview other top candidates for their perspectives while he has the chance. And, who knows, an outside candidate might blow Loomis away in the interview process and he decides to go out of the organization.

He made a great hire 16 years ago and I didn't know who Sean Payton was at the time and was disappointed we didn't get Gary Kubiak (my choice). Shows you what I know! I'll trust Loomis on this one.

Last edited:

DCTransplant

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I think our defense is good enough that we should roll with Allen for the next 2 years, while we still have Cam, Demario, and maybe Malcolm Jenkins. As much as we all loved Payton, the Spags year, the Rob Ryan years, keeping Joe Vitt forever..... those bad defenses wasted many of Drew's prime years. Payton only really won with DA and with Gregg Williams, both really strong defensive coaches. As horrific as our offense was this year, DA's defense kept us afloat, and damn near got us into the playoffs with zero help from the offense.... Even with Brees at QB, those bad defenses kept us below .500.

To me, DA is a top 5 defensive mind in the NFL, and I don't want to lose him. If we go with DA and the next 2 years aren't good, it's time to rebuild and start over with a new guy. If you go with a new guy and he fails, you're left wondering why you busted it up too quick.

SweetT

Old alias known as FLASH
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We all know it's going to be Allen. The defensive guys will revolt if it's not because they know Allen will bolt.
Cam Jordan was publicly recruiting Aaron Rodgers. Even going so far as to say “let Aaron Rodgers pick the coach”. At the end of the day, players want to win. Doesn’t matter who the coach is…..they want to win.

No2DC

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We all know it's going to be Allen. The defensive guys will revolt if it's not because they know Allen will bolt.
That makes no sense. Players will play for whoever the coach is. I'm not sold on Allen he just seems like a safe choice but he does nothing for our offensive which needs the most help.

No2DC

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Question: You think if the Saints hire another coach such as Bieiemy or someone else that Dennis Allen will stay as DC??
If wants to keep his job. If he doesn't just promote KR and we can keep the same type of system in place. We have the talent on defense, that's the biggest part.

OP
OP
St. Widge

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's the fact he's been with a winning organization lead by a future HOF catch yet nobody thought to pluck Carmichael from under Payton to lead their franchise....that's why my "assumption" is based on 🤷🏾‍♂️

Carmichael did not want to be considered for HC jobs. He liked his job as Saints OC and liked the stability it gave for his family not to have to move around every time he had to change jobs. The source for this is Underhill on his podcast.

Last edited:
OP
OP
St. Widge

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He called Sean Payton's plays, he did not design anything...I hate this argument.

You don't know that. None of us here have any idea how much input Carmichael had on designing the offense. All we know is that his job was to come up with the weekly game plan and he worked with Brees and Payton to do that. How much input he had and what, if any innovation, he brought to the offense none of us know. But, I'm sure Loomis knows the answer to this and if Allen gets the job he also knows how much input Carmichael has and whether he is the best option for OC. And, if it's someone from the outside who gets the HC job, they will probably bring in their own guy to be OC.

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If Allen is the HC, I think it's likely that Richard or Nielson gets the DC position. Probably Richard. But, I think if Allen loses out on the HC job he is likely gone assuming there is an opening for a DC somewhere else. I can't see him wanting to stay after getting passed over and I would think a new coach would want to bring his own guys in.
Allen is under contract so he can't leave because he did not get the head coaching job. He can be released out of his contract if the new coach wants to being in his own DC which I don't think the case will be.

Whether the new coach is a Defensive or Offensive guy I don't think it affects the defensive staff at all it's the offensive staff that will probably see the most shake up because that's the aide of the ball that needs the most work.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest SaintsReport Originals

Utopia Draft: The Saints' Ideal (Realistic) Scenario
By Dan Levy - posted 4/28/2022

Sea Change: Taysom Hill's "New" Role and What it Means for the Saints
By Dan Levy - posted 4/06/2022

Q&A: AMA (Ask Me Anything) with Dan Levy
5/8/22 | 4/20/22

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines