Loomis on WWL w/Kenny and Bobby today? (2 Viewers)

dajmno

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I'm being told that Loomis was on SportsTalk via phone this afternoon and he said that he has not spoken with anyone in Samuel's camp and the rumors that the Saints are "1st in line" are completely false.

Possibly just covering any tampering allegations?

Of course he said that. Anything else is tampering by definition and could result in a fine.

If it is true that we are pursuing, he is covering his bases. On the same assumption, everyone does it, and if it happens in the offseason, I don't see the big deal. After the Probowl, when all staffs no longer have commitments other than draft and resigning their players, it should be fair game. I understand the rule is in place to give teams the chance to resign their own players, and I am sure if it weren't in place teams would not be as successful. But with guys like Samuels who obviously are going different ways, I don't see the harm.

If it is true that we are pursuing, he is covering his bases. On the same assumption, everyone does it, and if it happens in the offseason, I don't see the big deal. After the Probowl, when all staffs no longer have commitments other than draft and resigning their players, it should be fair game. I understand the rule is in place to give teams the chance to resign their own players, and I am sure if it weren't in place teams would not be as successful. But with guys like Samuels who obviously are going different ways, I don't see the harm.

Has anyone ever told you that you look like mark brunell?

Attachments

• mbrunell.bmp
    92.9 KB · Views: 4
I really expect the NFL to switch to a format more like the NBA soon. The NBA has a two week period where teams can begin negotiating with players but they cannot officially sign any contracts or make moves. There are various reasons for this in the NBA (alot because of CBA and timing), but it would make perfect sense to say that teams can begin negotiating with players and then on X day the players can sign.

Think about it like this.

February 28th. Teams can begin negotiations. You would have had the entire February month go like this:

First Week: SuperBowl
Second Week: Post SuperBowl / Pro Bowl Week
Third Week: NFL Combine
Fourth Week: NFL Combine Wrap/Up / Free Agency can begin negotiating/meetings

Then announce that March 10th or so is when players can sign, it'd be like national signing day...

What would you expect him to say?

Loomis: uhhh... yaah we have worked out a deal with Asante Samuel, we know it's tampering, but there is no way the league can prove it so don't worry.

Hey, I mean Brunell wouldn't be a bad backup.

Once the season is over, the guy is a free agent. I don't get the big deal.

Once the season is over, the guy is a free agent. I don't get the big deal.

technically, he's under contract until Friday. It gives the current team more time to negotiate, theoretically...but yeah, tampering goes on all the time.

It's really ridiculous. How can you negotiate a $50 million contract with a player in one day? For a player to be signed, a contract has to be negotiated. That takes time. No player could or should sign a contract on the first day of free agency if he had never seen it before. It's silly that league rules say a player can sign a multimillion dollar deal on 12:01 am of the first day of free agency, but can't see the contract before that.

In the best interests of the teams and players, there should be a protected time when players can negotiate but can't sign.

Didn't we sign Blake at 12:01 AM or something like that back in 2000?

What mental giant thought he was going to get a straight answer from Loomis, Kenny or Bobby?

They should have just asked...Hey Loomis, how big of a fine do you want for tampering with Samuel.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom