Loomis: Saints not afraid to take a QB (1 Viewer)

Richard

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thank God he is saying this, since it probably means that there is no chance they take a QB in the first round. I do not like Jordan Love at all and Burrow/Tua are unreachable.

Heathen Saint

"Socially distanced"
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
IMHO there's no way we don't take a quarterback here. It's a no brainer.

We have Drew Brees in his last year with the possibility that this season is delayed or cancelled due to the virus. I know Sean is looking for the guy who will carry his legacy into retirement.

I'm thinking it's Hurts, Love or Eason if we sit...Herbert or Tua if we trade up.

My final prediction is Justin Herbert, snatching him from the Phins.

saintbilly25

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

We have Drew Brees in his last year with the possibility that this season is delayed or cancelled due to the virus. I know Sean is looking for the guy who will carry his legacy into retirement.

I'm thinking it's Hurts, Love or Eason if we sit...Herbert or Tua if we trade up.

Do you mean in later rounds? I would have a fit if we draft Eason or Hurts before round 3.

OP
OP
Richard

Richard

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
To me, it's a no brainer to pass on the QBs from this class, with a possible exception being a late round pick (6th) on one they like. Brees hasn't said that this is his last season, although it could be, and he might want another year after this one. That would potentially be more true if this season is shortened or canceled.

With limited picks this year and no good long term prospects, people seem to want to waste one of the few picks the Saints do have on a player that isn't likely to see the field this season, if at all. I don't see Love, Eason or Fromm as championship quarterbacks and Hurts would be a gamble IMO. I don't see the logic in spending first round pick value on that when a linebacker, cornerback, offensive linemen, wide receiver or even a defensive lineman could provide value this year and beyond.

That doesn't even speak to the 2021 QB class, which is much deeper IMO, and has a number of players in it that would be better than Love, Eason, Fromm and Hurts if they had been available in this draft. There is no harm in waiting to get Brees' replacement next year when they options are better and there will be more of them.

SAINTSFAN

Contributor
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That doesn't even speak to the 2021 QB class, which is much deeper IMO, and has a number of players in it that would be better than Love, Eason, Fromm and Hurts if they had been available in this draft. There is no harm in waiting to get Brees' replacement next year when they options are better and there will be more of them.
Tough to say. Last year at this time, many had Love as one of those "better" options "next year." Had he come out after 2018, teams would have been trading up for him.

BelowZero

Professional Troll
Reaction score
To me, it's a no brainer to pass on the QBs from this class, with a possible exception being a late round pick (6th) on one they like. Brees hasn't said that this is his last season, although it could be, and he might want another year after this one. That would potentially be more true if this season is shortened or canceled.

With limited picks this year and no good long term prospects, people seem to want to waste one of the few picks the Saints do have on a player that isn't likely to see the field this season, if at all. I don't see Love, Eason or Fromm as championship quarterbacks and Hurts would be a gamble IMO. I don't see the logic in spending first round pick value on that when a linebacker, cornerback, offensive linemen, wide receiver or even a defensive lineman could provide value this year and beyond.

How is the 2021 QB class any deeper? There's a massive drop in quality after Lawrence. You have Justin Fields, but you can't ever trust OSU QBs, and a very loose maybe in Jamie Newman as 1st round quality guys. So, say the Saints pass on a QB this year due to lack of players they like at the position, they're just going to run into the same issue next year - unless they want to give away a king's ransom to get Lawrence (which probably wouldn't be the worst decision.). The difference? They don't get to sit and learn behind Brees for a season, said rookie will be thrusted right into the fire.

Anyone who's seen the articles knows this is Drew's last season. I mean, he almost did this off-season during the Pro Bowl. People can look away from it all they want, but Love could very well be the pick at 24.

OP
OP
Richard

Richard

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Tough to say. Last year at this time, many had Love as one of those "better" options "next year." Had he come out after 2018, teams would have been trading up for him.

I am fine with some other team taking that risk. People fall in love with certain traits and try to convince themselves that a player is something he is not. He is not Mahomes. Love's lack of accuracy is my biggest concern, but I also don't care for his inconsistency and bad decision-making. Hard pass.

SAINTSFAN

Contributor
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I am fine with some other team taking that risk. People fall in love with certain traits and try to convince themselves that a player is something they are not. Love's lack of accuracy is my biggest concern, but I also don't care for his inconsistency and bad decision-making. Hard pass.

Same things were a concern of Matt Ryan coming into the NFL . He was less accurate than Love and threw more INTs. It all depends on what the coaching staff thinks of Love as I am sure they have studied him much deeper than any of us.

Saint Greg

SR is my life!
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Just want to point out we do not know this is Drew's last year. He did sign a contract that includes a full salary for 2021.

Saint Greg

SR is my life!
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Do you mean in later rounds? I would have a fit if we draft Eason or Hurts before round 3.

Agree. Though I have heard some talk about the Hurts and the Patriots in the 1st or 2nd round.

BIGRON

EASY
Reaction score
Before last season Burrow was projected to be a 3rd or 4th round pick by some of the so-called media experts. I'll be fine with letting the draft play out and stand pat every round (unless a few surprises happen in the 1st and we can trade down and still get a highly touted player on our board) and taking a QB in the 4th round.

OP
OP
Richard

Richard

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Same things were a concern of Matt Ryan coming into the NFL . He was less accurate than Love and threw more INTs. It all depends on what the coaching staff thinks of Love as I am sure they have studied him much deeper than any of us.

Not even close to the same type of quarterbacks. I have seen it every year with people on SR falling in love with that year's mobile QB that can make things happen outside the pocket. Remember how people were talking about how great Manziel was going to be? Same thing will happen next year. People will want to trade the farm to get a seriously flawed quarterback because he makes some highlight reel throws off platform.

Heathen Saint

"Socially distanced"
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Just want to point out we do not know this is Drew's last year. He did sign a contract that includes a full salary for 2021.

Fair. All I'm saying is that we know the Saints and Brees will be parting ways in the next season or so, and I'm sure Sean has a person or 3 lined up that they believe will carry the Saints in life after Brees. And I happen to believe they see now as the opportune time to make that move. Could be completely wrong, just a prediction.

Heathen Saint

"Socially distanced"
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score

You think either one of these guys make it that far? I think it'd be a gamble to assume they do.

I still think we go QB in round 1 just because I think there are a few guys that just fit Sean's 'mold'.

I would be ecstatic if we can pass on a QB then nab the guy we want in RD3. Absolutely ecstatic :)

No2DC

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I guess the question is whether they see someone falling and move up a few spots or making a major trade into the top 15. I would prefer we stay pat and not give up a lot to move up a few spots.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom