Lord of the Rings Series -- Amazon (1 Viewer)

It's not actually going to be a LotR series insofar as it's not adapting Lord of the Rings itself. It's apparently going to be a prequel of sorts. Details are under wraps but some speculate it will be about young Aragorn, although much hints towards ot taking place in the Second Age.

The good news is Tolkien was so detailed in his histories and appendices that they wont have to make much up. The details for a solid story are already in place.

Either way though, that is a super solid writing and production team they've got in place.

It's not actually going to be a LotR series insofar as it's not adapting Lord of the Rings itself. It's apparently going to be a prequel of sorts. Details are under wraps but some speculate it will be about young Aragorn, although much hints towards ot taking place in the Second Age.

The good news is Tolkien was so detailed in his histories and appendices that they wont have to make much up. The details for a solid story are already in place.

Either way though, that is a super solid writing and production team they've got in place.

If the ratings are high enough they could always delve into LOTR in future seasons.

I never cared for Tom Bombadil.

He's pretty much a complete non-sequitur to the actual plot (they meet a guy who the ring has no effect on, and indeed he exerts power over the ring by making it vanish and reappear, is known to be ancient even to the Elves, has complete control over his domain and likes to sing a lot, and then he's mentioned like one more time as a possible candidate for taking care of the ring but dismissed because he wouldn't care about the ring and would probably lose it), but he's undoubtedly an interesting piece to the world building of Middle Earth and has inspired a lot of debate and speculation over the decades.

He's pretty much a complete non-sequitur to the actual plot (they meet a guy who the ring has no effect on, and indeed he exerts power over the ring by making it vanish and reappear, is known to be ancient even to the Elves, has complete control over his domain and likes to sing a lot, and then he's mentioned like one more time as a possible candidate for taking care of the ring but dismissed because he wouldn't care about the ring and would probably lose it), but he's undoubtedly an interesting piece to the world building of Middle Earth and has inspired a lot of debate and speculation over the decades.

Yep, that's what I meant. You could cut out his chapter from the story and it wouldn't really affect the whole much at all.

The big question is to what/who was Tolkien alluding. Nearly everything in the book has a parallel to Catholicism or to WWII. My take has been that Tom Bombadil was a reference to Switzerland's actions (lack thereof) during WWII. A power that was strong enough to be immune to the Nazis, but without the interest to do anything about them. There is a certain nobility about him, and yet the Elves know they can't count on him for help.

If I have understood Tolkien's intentions correctly, I consider his character to be brilliant writing, but of course, there are many opinions about what he was supposed to represent.

The big question is to what/who was Tolkien alluding. Nearly everything in the book has a parallel to Catholicism or to WWII. My take has been that Tom Bombadil was a reference to Switzerland's actions (lack thereof) during WWII. A power that was strong enough to be immune to the Nazis, but without the interest to do anything about them. There is a certain nobility about him, and yet the Elves know they can't count on him for help.

If I have understood Tolkien's intentions correctly, I consider his character to be brilliant writing, but of course, there are many opinions about what he was supposed to represent.

I think like any good fiction, you lose it's essence as soon as you assign direct allegory or analogy. But it doesn't stop it from being fun to try!

One of my favorite takes on Tom is that he is like Adam before the fall. He has dominion over the creation around him and is at perfect harmony with it. Yet he is completely oblivious to the knowledge or effect of evil.

I still think Amazon should have just greenlit a third season of The Tick, instead.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom