Lord of the Rings Series -- Amazon (2 Viewers)

IMDB shows that Amazon has greenlit this for two seasons already...

The big question is to what/who was Tolkien alluding. Nearly everything in the book has a parallel to Catholicism or to WWII. My take has been that Tom Bombadil was a reference to Switzerland's actions (lack thereof) during WWII. A power that was strong enough to be immune to the Nazis, but without the interest to do anything about them. There is a certain nobility about him, and yet the Elves know they can't count on him for help.

If I have understood Tolkien's intentions correctly, I consider his character to be brilliant writing, but of course, there are many opinions about what he was supposed to represent.
Tokien didn't have an answer for everything. He liked a few mysteries.

However...

Death of the author and all that, but Tolkien was adamant that any allegory between World War II and LotR was certainly not intended and that he despised the roman-a-clef approach. His experiences in World War I certainly contributed a lot thematically, though.

Tokien wouldn't give an answer for everything. He liked a few mysteries.

However...

fify. :LOL:

In fact, according to the reports, he admitted to very little even when his colleagues at Merlon College, Oxford had figured out anything.

Please, no spins in this.

book-of-boba-fett-spin-bobo-fett-spin.gif

I'm hoping it's better than the Wheel of time they are doing. Although I do like the wheel of time series, I just don't like some of the libertys they take. Watching the clip kinda looked like the characters were too CGI for me but I hope I am wrong.

I'm hoping it's better than the Wheel of time they are doing. Although I do like the wheel of time series, I just don't like some of the libertys they take. Watching the clip kinda looked like the characters were too CGI for me but I hope I am wrong.
Hopefully they've employed better actors than the production team for The Wheel of Time did. That cast is largely terrible with only a couple of the actors doing a credible job.

I'm wondering if (or how much of) it's based on material from The Silmarillion. I've always thought someone ought to try to make a coherent story out of all that history and lore, but what a task.

I'm wondering if (or how much of) it's based on material from The Silmarillion. I've always thought someone ought to try to make a coherent story out of all that history and lore, but what a task.

From the rundown they did of cast and characters the other day, it seemed like several of the characters are completely original and that others that aren't are being adapted in ways that there's no lore basis for (Galadriel being a military commander). My hopes are not high. Tolkien left a wealth of material not just in his books but also in his appendices and letters. There's no real reason to be making stuff up for this. Especially when the glut of TV shows being produced has led to some very mediocre (or worse) writers rooms the last few years as the real talent gets spread increasingly thin.

I have been concerned about this after seeing the production quality in wheel of time. Hopefully the trailer tonight reflects what we will see in the series.

From the rundown they did of cast and characters the other day, it seemed like several of the characters are completely original and that others that aren't are being adapted in ways that there's no lore basis for (Galadriel being a military commander). My hopes are not high. Tolkien left a wealth of material not just in his books but also in his appendices and letters. There's no real reason to be making stuff up for this. Especially when the glut of TV shows being produced has led to some very mediocre (or worse) writers rooms the last few years as the real talent gets spread increasingly thin.
Man I love the Tolkien from the LotR and the Hobbit. I read these books when I was like 12 or 13, so I have spent the majority of my life (52 years old) loving these books. I want to read the rest of his stuff but man the Simalarien (however it’s spelled) is just unreadable. I have been trying again for the past month and my God I can’t do it. And I read a lot of books.

looks way better than wheel of time,

they seem to have recaptured the look of the movies down to the customs and weta effects, all be it a little more the hobbit CGI than lotr's more practical effects

Hopefully they've employed better actors than the production team for The Wheel of Time did. That cast is largely terrible with only a couple of the actors doing a credible job.
i don't get how this is still a thing - there is SO MUCH tv content out there that casting should not be as big of an issue as it seems to be
my recent concern had been with both Cobra Kai and Raised by Wolves and kid actors who were asked to do too much (even though we see tons of very capable kid actors all the time)

but then i think of something like The Expanse that started as a regular ol canadian sci-fi output which usually has very shaky acting - luckily it was given time so that by season 2 some of the shaky leads grew into their characters and the side characters got much better

tech heavy shows are always going to have that struggle between tech 1st directors and actor first directors (or whatever it was that Robert Rodriguez was doing)
but, again, i do think casting should be much better at this point

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom