Losing Faith in SP (1 Viewer)

SaintsMan209

SB This year!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I hate to say it everyone but after watching the Vikings get dismantled I’m officially losing faith in Sean Payton. Mainly, I don’t know if he has the ability to correct his own shortcomings. Help me understand why the Saints have had the same issues year after year after year? Surely, at this point you have 5 plays in your playbook specifically designed to break your opponent who is picking on your biggest weakness. An upper cut of some kind. Instead these guys just get surprised every year.

Can't say I disagree with this. His refusal to run the ball when the run was WORKING and Drew was getting harrassed all game was infuriating. Seemed like he had learned his lesson when we had Ingram and Kamara. Now that Ingram is gone, he's back to his old ways.

I hate to say it everyone but after watching the Vikings get dismantled I’m officially losing faith in Sean Payton. Mainly, I don’t know if he has the ability to correct his own shortcomings. Help me understand why the Saints have had the same issues year after year after year? Surely, at this point you have 5 plays in your playbook specifically designed to break your opponent who is picking on your biggest weakness. An upper cut of some kind. Instead these guys just get surprised every year.

In the first half, the Vikings exploited a weakness from guard to guard in a way that the Saints were certainly not prepared for. They brought their two best edge rushers inside and Danielle Hunter whipped Andrus Peat to an embarrassing degree. That was the story of the half.

In the second half, the Saints adjusted to the scheme and SHOULD have won the game. Drew Brees had the inexplicable red zone turnover and the second to fourth pass catchers could not take advantage of a banged up secondary. Brees and Kamara had their worst performances of the season in the biggest game. It sucks to say, the Saints probably win against the Vikings four out of five games. Wasn’t meant to be last week.

The loss is not on the shoulders of SP IMO. The offensive holes are what they are and are in many ways a result of heavily investing in the defense. Brees’ arm is deteriorating, which in many ways makes Ginn and Tre’Quan obsolete. There’s just some holes and limitations that were abundantly apparent in that loss.

In the first half, the Vikings exploited a weakness from guard to guard in a way that the Saints were certainly not prepared for. They brought their two best edge rushers inside and Danielle Hunter whipped Andrus Peat to an embarrassing degree. That was the story of the half.

In the second half, the Saints adjusted to the scheme and SHOULD have won the game. Drew Brees had the inexplicable red zone turnover and the second to fourth pass catchers could not take advantage of a banged up secondary. Brees and Kamara had their worst performances of the season in the biggest game. It sucks to say, the Saints probably win against the Vikings four out of five games. Wasn’t meant to be last week.

The loss is not on the shoulders of SP IMO. The offensive holes are what they are and are in many ways a result of heavily investing in the defense. Brees’ arm is deteriorating, which in many ways makes Ginn and Tre’Quan obsolete. There’s just some holes and limitations that were abundantly apparent in that loss.
Yep and when T.V commentators point it out that is really bad. They are the equivalent of WWF referees.

Sean has never run the ball and stuck with it. The moment things looks shaky he abandons the run and relies on Drew. His playcalling and gameplan was bad. He relies on formation and personnel changes to cause confusion for defenses. After 13 years I think some folks have figured out his concepts.

I have not lost any faith in Payton. I really like the stability at the coaching position that he has brought to the organization. I do not want to go down the road of a coaching carousel. Everyone goes through a funk every now and then and he has had his share, but he makes adjustments and brings the team back to where they can compete.

He has completely retooled the team after the 7-9 seasons and the team is loaded with talent. Yes there are a few positions that need to be addressed. He has no control over the injury bug which we have had to deal with at key positions.

Now he has to deal with the Brees situation or dilemma however you want to look at it. As mentioned above, how many plays has Brees changed at the line? This is something that hasn't really been brought up until lately, but over the last few seasons, it looks to be happen more and more. I believe he will make the right decision when it comes to Brees, but Brees is a grown man too and he might need to make a difficult decision himself of whether or not he is helping or hurting the team for for the long run.

Sean has never run the ball and stuck with it. The moment things looks shaky he abandons the run and relies on Drew. His playcalling and gameplan was bad. He relies on formation and personnel changes to cause confusion for defenses. After 13 years I think some folks have figured out his concepts.
I still support Sean but if there's one thing that's starting to get annoying it's the constant, and sometimes unnecessary shuffling of personnel after every, single, play.

Murray busts off a nice 8 yard run? Okay go to the sidelines bring out a cold AK and run a toss, or screen that gets blown up and it's 3rd & 2.

Taysom busts a nice play, out you go.

Also if Jared Cook is in the game it's a pass, Josh Hill in the game run. 90ish% of the time pretty big tell.

How many timeouts have been burned because personnel gets shuffled in late, it also allows the Defense to rest, and re-group and make their personnel changes to match. It also doesn't allow Drew to run an up-tempo, get to the line paced no huddle to take advantage of mismatches... and not allow the Defense to substitute.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom