Lost: Season 3, Episode 6 (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!

No more Lost until February? At least we won't have to put up with any repeats.

I thought last night's ending was okay. I did not see that coming, though. Let me get this straight: Jack was only bargaining for Kate's release, not Sawyer's as well? That seems more than a little selfish in light of what Jack observed on the monitors.

Who is Jacob? And what's with the list?

I saw a good question on another forum and I think it bears repeating here: if Benry needed surgery, why not just leave the island? Obviously, the Others have access to the mainland. So, why not just leave the island and get the surgery done? What aren't we getting here?

I think Benry will survive, though. Jack has to finish the surgery, or otherwise, he's dead too. The only way he stays alive is by completing the surgery. His move was a bluff, but the Others (with the possible exception of Juliet) fell for it. And what will his place with the Others be, post-surgery?

My final comment is more of a complaint. I really feel now that there has been too much of a focus on the "Alcatraz" island. We haven't seen Jin, Sun, or Hurley in weeks. I thought this is an ensemble show, or at least it was. Hopefully, the producers will remember that there are other characters besides Jack, Kate, and Sawyer when the show resumes.

Last edited:
Well, in a couple of episodes, I expect Locke to form a rescue squad to go and retrieve Jack, Kate, and Sawyer. Presumably, Hurley, who was captured originally will be in the squad and will be more heavily featured. I couldn't care less about Jin and Sun.

I couldn't really tell if Jack had only bargained for Kate or for Kate and Sawyer. It must have been both. Doesn't make sense for Jack's character.

I'm not too happy about waiting until February. Uninterrupted epsiodes is little consolation.

When Locke was looking at Eko's prayer stick it said something like - turn your eyes toward the north - I expect that to be the way they go to get Kate and Sawyer

I was afraid that Jack was going to leave them out to dry - didn't expect the "hostage" situation he put the others in.

I also don't like the new guy that was with the group at the hatch

I'm not sure that the others do have a way off the island - but then they do have things that you wonder how they got them.

A few things in response to NELA, real quick. I'm still processing. :)

I don't think it's clear that he was bargaining only for Kate's release. I think "...and Sawyer" was probably implied, but Jack really doesn't have any idea what Sawyer's situation is, and it's not like he was going to be able to (or have any desire to) speak to both of them and assess both situations. He knows that Kate is with Sawyer, and if Sawyer is alive and able to escape with her, then so be it. If not, then so be it. I don't think there was necessarily any active effort to exclude Sawyer from the escape attempt. But clearly, Kate's well-being comes first and c'est la vie re: Sawyer, as far as Jack is concerned.

Who is Jacob, indeed.

Re: Benry leaving the island for sugery, well, I can think of a bunch of reasons, assuming Ben has lived his entire life on the island. No insurance? No currency (does currency exist on the island?) No accepted identity? No birth certificate or medical history? Having to answer questions about who he is and where he's from? Perhaps Ben really can't physically leave the island? Sure, there's plenty of evidence that they have access to outside INFORMATION, but maybe that's it.

Ben also said "Two days after I found out I had a tumor on my spine, a spinal surgeon fell from the sky." So he had known about his problem for all of two days. Maybe he would have left the island to have the procedure done, but the doctor he'd have gone to anyway... well... came to him. For all we know, Jack is "The Best." And there have been indications that he might very well be.

I think the better question would be "Why not just be nice to Jack and crew from the start? If your goal, as stated, is to make Jack WANT TO help you, then why all the harassment and murder and imprisonment and such?"

Of course Ben will survive. Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn rule this freakin' show these days. But you're right in that Jack's "plan" sure seems like a crappy one. No way Jack (or Cuse/Lindelhof) lets him die, and Ben's gonna be one ****** off dude when he comes to. Assuming for a second that Ben ever had any intention of honoring his agreement to let Jack go home, and/or has the ability to actually get Jack off the island, Jack's little reneg while Ben was on the table surely qualifies a breach of contract. So I'm not sure what Jack thinks his endgame is.

He either really, REALLY trusts Juliet and her mutiny story, and intends to let Ben die, trusting that Juliet's cabal will protect him and leave the Losties alone, or he intends to finish Ben's procedure and fall on the sword for the sake of Kate's escape (with or without Sawyer.) But if it's the latter, it's a horrible plan because Jack knows full well that the Others can pretty much do whatever, whenever to the Losties. And they're not going to let Jack's doublecross go without swift and harsh reprisal on not just Jack, but all of them. Just a horribly thought out "strategy" on par with something Locke or Sayid would have come up with. Guh.

Yeah, I agree. Eko's prayer stick probably does show the way to "Alcatraz." Or maybe to the Dharma station with the one-eyed man?

When I watched the episode last night, I thought Jack meant both Kate and Sawyer. But I read several posts on other forums that he implied only Kate. Just wanted to get the board's opinion.

Forgot about Ben only finding out about the tumor two days before the crash. And I see your point on the logistical problems of going to the mainland. I agree, if Ben wanted Jack to help him, there were probably better approaches that what the Others have done. You really have to question what Ben was thinking?

I'm not sure Jack trusts Juliet's mutiny story, but I believe he thinks she can get him out of this jam. Faulty though his plan may be, Jack could also find out exactly where Juliet's loyalties are. Ben will have an interesting decision to make once the surgery is over (and I believe Jack will finish it). On the one hand, he will not be happy with Jack for what he pulled, but on the other, he'd be dead if it weren't for the good doctor. Essentially, Jack will have lived up to his part of the bargain. Not that there's any legal system on the island, but if Jack successfully completes the surgery, he has not breached his agreement with Ben. Jack, nor Ben, ever mentioned any conditions on what Jack could or could not do during the surgery.

I also don't like the new guy that was with the group at the hatch

Yep, he's horrible. I really hope they don't work him in anymore.

I have no idea what to think except that I don't think Jack's "plan" is going to result in any escape at all. Unless Locke, et al. get to another hatch and it somehow turns them on to the fact that the Others are on a completely different island.

Geez. Feb seems like an enternity away. I really liked seeing kate/monica's story develop. She nees a new name. How about

konica.

Can anyone think of any other names?

Assuming for a second that Ben ever had any intention of honoring his agreement to let Jack go home, and/or has the ability to actually get Jack off the island, Jack's little reneg while Ben was on the table surely qualifies a breach of contract. So I'm not sure what Jack thinks his endgame is.

Or Benry plays semantics and gets Jack off the island -- the "Alcatraz" island -- and returns him to Locke et al. (Jack still doesn't know does he? And the deal was made on the new island wasn't it?)

Or Benry plays semantics and gets Jack off the island -- the "Alcatraz" island -- and returns him to Locke et al. (Jack still doesn't know does he? And the deal was made on the new island wasn't it?)

Yep, that's what I was thinking when Benry made the agreement. Jack doesn't know he's on a different island from the one he crashed onto. What was the point of the voice telling Jack that the door was open? So that he'd see Kate and Sawyer? :shrug:

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!

No more Lost until February? At least we won't have to put up with any repeats.

I thought last night's ending was okay. I did not see that coming, though. Let me get this straight: Jack was only bargaining for Kate's release, not Sawyer's as well? That seems more than a little selfish in light of what Jack observed on the monitors.

I think he was bargaining for both of their lives. I "think" and I'm not postitive, cause I need to watch it again, but I think he said something like "Yall have a 1 hour head start". I don't think what he said mean only her, but I know what you mean....everything after that seemed like he was talking just to her.

Who is Jacob? And what's with the list?

I saw a good question on another forum and I think it bears repeating here: if Benry needed surgery, why not just leave the island? Obviously, the Others have access to the mainland. So, why not just leave the island and get the surgery done? What aren't we getting here?

I have a few thoughts here. I don't think he can leave the Island, not to civilization anyhow. I think when he promised Jack that he would get him off the Island, that it was either a complte lie, or that he would get him off of "this" island. Like he told Sawyer that they were on a different Island.

I think Benry will survive, though. Jack has to finish the surgery, or otherwise, he's dead too. The only way he stays alive is by completing the surgery. His move was a bluff, but the Others (with the possible exception of Juliet) fell for it. And what will his place with the Others be, post-surgery?

My final comment is more of a complaint. I really feel now that there has been too much of a focus on the "Alcatraz" island. We haven't seen Jin, Sun, or Hurley in weeks. I thought this is an ensemble show, or at least it was. Hopefully, the producers will remember that there are other characters besides Jack, Kate, and Sawyer when the show resumes.

I agree, I want to see more of the main characters that we grew to know in the first season. BUT, I have heard that the first season was about them, the 2nd was about the tailies, and the 3rd will be about the Others.

I hate that we have having to wait till February for more Lost, but I am glad it will be 16 eppies when it comes back on. I wish this fall finale had been 2 hours long.

goodness I have to type something here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom