Lost Victories (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Much has been made about how many times the defense lost the game late since 2006 (I can't find the thread and don't remember the number but 44 sticks out in my mind)

Whatever the number was it was far and away the most in the league

What about the reverse?

How many times have Drew and the offense had the ball late with a field goal or TD needed to either tie or win the game and wasn't able to get it done?

Let's throw special teams in there too - how many times did Brees get us in FG range to either win or tie late and the kicker missed?

I'd be curious to see what those numbers are

Last edited:
Much has been made about how many times the defense lost the game late (I can't find the thread and don't remember the number but 44 sticks out in my mind)

Whatever the number was it was far and away the most in the league

What about the reverse?

How many times have Drew and the offense had the ball late with a field goal or TD needed to either tie or win the game and wasn't able to get it done?

Let's throw special teams in there too - how many times did Brees get us in FG range to either win or tie late and the kicker missed?

I'd be curious to see what those numbers are

Through my eyes, especially in the big games this year, the defense kept us in games many many times when the offense sputtered. And they did this most frequently in big games and while Brees was out. Our offense was stick a fork in them dead until the 4th quarter against Minny. The defense kept us in the game and may have kept us from getting blown-out with big plays on multiple occasions.

Our offense, has all too often, not been good enough to "put away" teams - leaving the defense to finish the game. My personal belief is that our running game is not that good, and we cannot dominate the LOS at the end of the game.
i.e.
Minnesota loss this year.
First Atlanta game this year.
Loss to LA in the NFCCG.

etc... etc...

Our offense, has all too often, not been good enough to "put away" teams - leaving the defense to finish the game. My personal belief is that our running game is not that good, and we cannot dominate the LOS at the end of the game.
i.e.
Minnesota loss this year.
First Atlanta game this year.
Loss to LA in the NFCCG.

etc... etc...

The Dallas game in 2018 was one where the defense spilled their guts on the field to give the offense opportunity after opportunity and Drew just couldn't get anything going.

The Dallas game in 2018 was one where the defense spilled their guts on the field to give the offense opportunity after opportunity and Drew just couldn't get anything going.
Probably because that is when the NFL allowed helmet-to-helmet hits again.

@Optimus Prime

Drew Brees 4th qtr comebacks & gm winning drives..

Thanks

But I’m talking about potential game winning drives that came up short

40+ times “all the defense had to do was stop them” but didn’t

How many times was it a case of “all the offense had to do was score” but didn’t?

How many times was it, “all he had to do was make the field goal” but didn’t

I think the more important stat is losses in which the offense put the team behind the 8-ball so badly that winning was an extraordinarily tall order.

Our last three playoff losses all fall into that category.

2010 season. falcons, in the dome, hartley missed field goal. overtime.. colston dropped pass for a turnover on downs.

this game cost us a, at a minimum, home game advantage for the wild card round. there wouldn't have been a beast mode destroying us. if i remember right, that win would have put us in the divisional round.

Thanks

But I’m talking about potential game winning drives that came up short

40+ times “all the defense had to do was stop them” but didn’t

How many times was it a case of “all the offense had to do was score” but didn’t?

How many times was it, “all he had to do was make the field goal” but didn’t
oh gotcha..Well, in 2018 vs Bucs to clinch the div, all that the D had to do was stop the Bucs O from scoring under 2 mins is one off the top of my head. But I'm sure there are far more than I would like to remember.

I think the more important stat is losses in which the offense put the team behind the 8-ball so badly that winning was an extraordinarily tall order.

Our last three playoff losses all fall into that category.
In our last three playoff losses, the offense scored to put the Saints ahead with less then 2 mins in the game. In all three games, all the defense had to do was stop a third and or fourth and long. In every case, they were not able to do that.
Dennis Allen’s schemes are suspect when the game is on the line. On the Minnesota Miracle play, there were 4 defensive lineman and a linebacker in the game. Why?

In our last three playoff losses, the offense scored to put the Saints ahead with less then 2 mins in the game. In all three games, all the defense had to do was stop a third and or fourth and long. In every case, they were not able to do that.
Dennis Allen’s schemes are suspect when the game is on the line. On the Minnesota Miracle play, there were 4 defensive lineman and a linebacker in the game. Why?

In our last three playoff losses the offense scored less than an average playoff team does.

"When" doesn't matter. The offense put in three substandard performances in a row.

@Optimus Prime

Drew Brees 4th qtr comebacks & gm winning drives..

Thanks for this. I believe the premise of this thread is ridiculous. Drew is not superman. Anyone can find anecdotal evidence of where the offense failed but geez. You want anecdotal?

How about Drew "losing" SF in 2011 when he led not one but 2 comebacks only to have Greg Williams go brain dead with 40 seconds to lose that game. After having Pierre get knock out of the game by a head shot.

How about Drew "losing" to Minny in 2017 after falling behind 17-0 only to have the miracle happen.

How about Drew "losing" to the rams in 2018 after the.. well you know...

How about Drew "losing" to Minny last year.. Admittedly not his best game but a missed Offensive PI that would have resulted in a FG and a chance to win it. Anyone think he would have not led a game winning TD drive? I guess the nay sayers say yes but I don't.

I guess this is a strange offseason and everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't get this thread at all

In our last three playoff losses the offense scored less than an average playoff team does.

"When" doesn't matter. The offense put in three substandard performances in a row.
“When” does matter. If you have more points then the other team when the clock hits 00:00, you win.
The defense has put in substandard performances in the last two minutes of games for several years now. Dennis Allen has failed with his schemes and his personnel when the game is on the line.

Thanks for this. I believe the premise of this thread is ridiculous. Drew is not superman. Anyone can find anecdotal evidence of where the offense failed but geez. You want anecdotal?

How about Drew "losing" SF in 2011 when he led not one but 2 comebacks only to have Greg Williams go brain dead with 40 seconds to lose that game. After having Pierre get knock out of the game by a head shot.

How about Drew "losing" to Minny in 2017 after falling behind 17-0 only to have the miracle happen.

How about Drew "losing" to the rams in 2018 after the.. well you know...

How about Drew "losing" to Minny last year.. Admittedly not his best game but a missed Offensive PI that would have resulted in a FG and a chance to win it. Anyone think he would have not led a game winning TD drive? I guess the nay sayers say yes but I don't.

I guess this is a strange offseason and everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't get this thread at all
I'd add that these were PLAYOFF GAMES.... We were not playing sub standard teams... And i'll say it at the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist but we have been victimized by the refs on more than one occasion. 2018 comes to mind. Several (not necassarily on here) have said... yea well you still had a chance to win in OT... On Drew's INT in OT he gets blasted in the head with no call.... Approx 3 hours later Tom Brady gets a phantom "shot to the head" flag sending them back to the SB..

We are going to miss the GOAT when he retires.. I hope that awesome defense this thread is championing is ready

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom