Lost Victories (1 Viewer)

Thanks for this. I believe the premise of this thread is ridiculous. Drew is not superman. Anyone can find anecdotal evidence of where the offense failed but geez. You want anecdotal?

How about Drew "losing" SF in 2011 when he led not one but 2 comebacks only to have Greg Williams go brain dead with 40 seconds to lose that game. After having Pierre get knock out of the game by a head shot.

How about Drew "losing" to Minny in 2017 after falling behind 17-0 only to have the miracle happen.

How about Drew "losing" to the rams in 2018 after the.. well you know...

How about Drew "losing" to Minny last year.. Admittedly not his best game but a missed Offensive PI that would have resulted in a FG and a chance to win it. Anyone think he would have not led a game winning TD drive? I guess the nay sayers say yes but I don't.

I guess this is a strange offseason and everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't get this thread at all

The point is just curiosity nothing more

Not to throw blame on the offense, as you said he’s not Superman

Just wondering about the records with a final chance to win the game

Drew has 50 game winning drives so his record with the game on the line late is 50 and what?

50-10? 50-20?

The defense didn’t get it done 44 times how many times did they?

40-44?

20-44?

Not looking to place blame or praise

Just curious is all

“When” does matter. If you have more points then the other team when the clock hits 00:00, you win.
The defense has put in substandard performances in the last two minutes of games for several years now. Dennis Allen has failed with his schemes and his personnel when the game is on the line.

So you're blaming the defense who has put in substandard performances for 2 minutes instead of blaming the offense who has put in substandard performances for 58 minutes in all three of our playoff losses?

The point is just curiosity nothing more

Not to throw blame on the offense, as you said he’s not Superman

Just wondering about the records with a final chance to win the game

Drew has 50 game winning drives so his record with the game on the line late is 50 and what?

50-10? 50-20?

The defense didn’t get it done 44 times how many times did they?

40-44?

20-44?

Not looking to place blame or praise

Just curious is all
I get it.... Like I said off-season fodder for thought

So you're blaming the defense who has put in substandard performances for 2 minutes instead of blaming the offense who has put in substandard performances for 58 minutes in all three of our playoff losses?

Ummm not speaking for PK but yes... Drew and the offense put up game winning drives in 2 of the 3... then add SF in 2011 as I stated in a different post....When the game is on the line the offense produced... the defense did not.... And like i said in that post we are not playing the dregs of the NFL.. We are playing championship or at least playoff caliber teams.... When it counted in 3 of the 4 the offense produced... The defense did not

Yep. The offense scored when they needed to regardless of how they played earlier in the game. Saying the defense only put in 2 mins of substandard play cannot be supported. In the Houston game last year, it took late game drives to keep it from being a blowout by Houston.
Houston and San Francisco games, the defense couldn’t stop a drive the entire game.

Yep. The offense scored when they needed to regardless of how they played earlier in the game. Saying the defense only put in 2 mins of substandard play cannot be supported. In the Houston game last year, it took late game drives to keep it from being a blowout by Houston.
Houston and San Francisco games, the defense couldn’t stop a drive the entire game.

Yeah, that's not how the real world works bud. If you sit at your desk for 7 hours and 30 minutes surfing SR.com every day and then work hard the last 30 minutes, you're not going to have a job long.

Yeah, that's not how the real world works bud. If you sit at your desk for 7 hours and 30 minutes surfing SR.com every day and then work hard the last 30 minutes, you're not going to have a job long.
Football isn’t the real world bud. All that matters is who has the most points at the end. How you get them doesn’t matter. Take a look back at the wins against the Dolphins and Redskins in 2009. We played like crap in both games yet we won and ended up winning the Super Bowl.
We can disagree all day about whether the offense or defense lost the last 3 playoff games.

Football isn’t the real world bud. All that matters is who has the most points at the end. How you get them doesn’t matter. Take a look back at the wins against the Dolphins and Redskins in 2009. We played like crap in both games yet we won and ended up winning the Super Bowl.
We can disagree all day about whether the offense or defense lost the last 3 playoff games.
Just because sometimes you can play like crap for three quarter and somehow still win it doesn't mean it's ok to play like crap for three quarters. If the saints were in even in the game when the offense was terrible it was probably because of the defense (or special teams) like against the Vikings in 2017.

A few exceptions

- You can get more done in 30 minutes than most people do all day
- Blowing the boss

When in the playoffs, every possession matters. Some can say that we did not score when needed to in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarters. Especially, if there are possessions gained from a turnover, etc. Missed opportunities fall under the “when needed to” category. Look at the playoff game against the Eagles. We barely squeaked that one out after our offense playing like trash for most of the game. And the Eagles looked like they were going to pull off a comeback, had Alshon not let that 4th down pass slip through his hands. The offense sputtering for the majority of playoff games has become a common trend and it’s highly alarming. And, when mentioning regular season games, you could lose and live to fight another day. In the postseason, you lose, you go home. How much more “when needed to” do you need?

We can. But only one of us is right.

Our offense, has all too often, not been good enough to "put away" teams - leaving the defense to finish the game. My personal belief is that our running game is not that good, and we cannot dominate the LOS at the end of the game.
i.e.
Minnesota loss this year.
First Atlanta game this year.
Loss to LA in the NFCCG.

etc... etc...
I think we have 2 great backs, its just that Payton refuses to use them.

Like when they scored 42 points on the number 1 defense in the league?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom