Louisiana Blazes High-Speed Web Trail (2 Viewers)

REBEL_SOUL

Anti-Skittle Brigade
Reaction score
Interesting article regarding LATA Boundries in Layfayette, La:

"LAFAYETTE, La. – In this tradition-rich city known for its crawfish and Zydeco stomps, high-speed Internet rules. Web videos upload in a few quick seconds. Surgeons review online pathology reports from their living rooms. University students share bulky research files with one another electronically at lightning speeds.

More than 800 miles of fiber-optic cable hum invisibly underground in Lafayette, a city of 120,000, delivering Internet speeds of up to 100 megabytes per second — rare for even major cities. The cutting-edge connectivity in the heart of Cajun country is due not to a private telecom giant but to a public municipal service that offers higher speeds and often lower rates than the private sector."

The Rest of the Story: Louisiana Blazes High-Speed Web Trail | GeoTel Communications, LLC

Does anyone have any insight on this?

I am sure this is appealing to major corporations... has to be the reason behind it.-

I love LUS Fiber! All that speed for $44.95 per month.

That's awesome. I get a little more down but less up with the ulimate tier of cox. However, it is double that price and they throttle certain types of connections.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

So how much does it REALLY cost?

LUS has borrowed to fund startup and expansion costs, but they haven't used any money from the city or utilities budget. They are now cash-flow positive and expect to be self-sustaining within two years. It's a huge positive for the city since residents see their triple play costs cut in half, businesses see vastly larger cost reductions which makes the city an attractive relocation destination, and all the system revenue and operations remain local.

I really admire what Lafayette accomplished with this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom