Louisiana Comic Con

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Ratings
Sticky Post
Did anybody else go yesterday? There's another day of it today at the Cajundome.

The kids and I went and we had a blast. They got to see Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett), Ernie Hudson (Ghostbusters), and Steve Cardenas (the red Power Ranger). It was their first time at a comic con. If you haven't gone before and are in the area, I recommend it. We spent the day. The environment was extremely friendly. We'll be going again next year.

OP
OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Ratings
It's a shame ... that and MechaCon are the two cons my kids have cut their teeth on. But we skipped WW in N.O. this year after going three years in a row. Wouldn't have minded going just to walk the merch room ... but the ticket prices have gotten too steep just to go shopping if there's no real gotta-see celebs and/or panels.

Big Easy Con is looking to make a major move in this market with a much better-timed convention. I'm excited to see what they end up offering. Looking promising so far.
That's another big issue I had with Wizard World N.O. The timing of it, right after Christmas, leaves my wallet tapped out. Plus, all the holiday events just leave me wanting to relax rather than fight a crowd. I'm definitely going to Louisiana CC in March and strongly considering Texas Frightmare in May and Big Easy Con in June.

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Ratings
BTW: any reports from the N.O. Wizard World show? Anyone go?

If so, did it seem any different than in recent years?
Guy came into my LCS on Saturday while I was there and said that there was only 6 tables selling comics in the entire convention. That's pitiful.

Sun Wukong

Never run out of Colt 45
Ratings
That's another big issue I had with Wizard World N.O. The timing of it, right after Christmas, leaves my wallet tapped out. Plus, all the holiday events just leave me wanting to relax rather than fight a crowd. I'm definitely going to Louisiana CC in March and strongly considering Texas Frightmare in May and Big Easy Con in June.
Yes, the timing is terrible. My bank account is shot, so even if I wanted to go (I didn't), I couldn't afford it.

I'm hitting up all the cons you mentioned barring anything unforeseen. Only the most dire circumstances will keep me from Frightmare Weekend this year. That's the most stacked horror guest list I think I've ever seen, and they keep adding more. My biggest problem is going to be narrowing down who I want to meet.

Grandadmiral

Ratings
Hey GA, looks like Big Easy just added artist Kevin Maguire. Seems like they're building a solid lineup of guests.
I saw that. I'm checking the collection now to see if there's anything I might want him to sign. If this is the last time we ever see Wizard World in New Orleans...

Grandadmiral

Ratings
Big Easy Con announced John Barrowman (Doctor Who, Arrow) will be a guest.
Barrowman is forking awesome. I met him at FanExpo in Boston a few years ago and he was hilarious. He typically has a day when he's doing his photo shoots where he is in full cosplay mode. Guy is a hoot.

OP
OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Ratings
Yall, I have moved even closer to jumping into Texas Frightmare. I haven't purchased tickets / booked hotels and all that yet, but I started looking today. Since my daughter is such a huge Transformers fan and one of her favorites is Ratchet, getting to meet Jeffrey Combs (he did the voice in the Transformers Prime series) would send her over the moon. Her birthday is coming up in March, so I was thinking of surprising her with tickets. Of course, I'd get to meet Freddy, so it's not like it would be a huge sacrifice for me. ;) That Nightmare on Elm Street line up. As a horror fan, I'm not sure how much better it could get than what they've got.

Sun Wukong

Never run out of Colt 45
Ratings
Yall, I have moved even closer to jumping into Texas Frightmare. I haven't purchased tickets / booked hotels and all that yet, but I started looking today. Since my daughter is such a huge Transformers fan and one of her favorites is Ratchet, getting to meet Jeffrey Combs (he did the voice in the Transformers Prime series) would send her over the moon. Her birthday is coming up in March, so I was thinking of surprising her with tickets. Of course, I'd get to meet Freddy, so it's not like it would be a huge sacrifice for me. ;) That Nightmare on Elm Street line up. As a horror fan, I'm not sure how much better it could get than what they've got.
Yeah, it's an absurd collection of guests. I'm already budgeting for meet and greets/autographs this far out and cringing as the idea that I'm not going to be able to meet everyone I want.

OP
OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Ratings
Yeah, it's an absurd collection of guests. I'm already budgeting for meet and greets/autographs this far out and cringing as the idea that I'm not going to be able to meet everyone I want.
What would you say the "normal" wait time in line would be?

Sun Wukong

Never run out of Colt 45
Ratings
What would you say the "normal" wait time in line would be?
It really depends on the guest. Last year I waited a good 40 minutes for Clive Barker. Ron Pearlman's line was insanely long all day but seemed to be moving well. In general they do a good job of keeping things moving along at a good pace.

I would say that probably the biggest difference between a horror con and a generalist con is that even mid level guests get the rockstar treatment from attendees. So while I wouldn't say the your longest wait times are much longer than a top tier guest at any other con, you're going to see that level of demand trickle down to other celebrity guests, too. My plan is to get there early and try and get a jump on Robert Englund's line, as that is going to be the most high demand and I'd like to get the wait out of the way first.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
St4ever Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 19