Comic Con Talk (Renamed since LA Comic Con can't get it together) (3 Viewers)

A few more comic guests have been added to the roster, including Charles Soule (Daredevil and other things Marvel), who's recommitted for November.

Looks like most from June have recommitted for November. I think all will be forgiven by the public if they can get Robert Englund back.

Yeah, does look like they're carrying over most of the guests. I don't think Englund is one of those guys that hits up every available con year round. I think he pretty much rotates the major regional horror conventions every few years, does a few international dates, and then a few others. He's supposed to in Munich later in November, but it seems like his con schedule is still open for that weekend.

But it really does seem this was all to accommodate a third day. Which is fine. It didn't end up hurting me any. My summer has been weird anyway, so fall is better.

Yeah, does look like they're carrying over most of the guests. I don't think Englund is one of those guys that hits up every available con year round. I think he pretty much rotates the major regional horror conventions every few years, does a few international dates, and then a few others. He's supposed to in Munich later in November, but it seems like his con schedule is still open for that weekend.

But it really does seem this was all to accommodate a third day. Which is fine. It didn't end up hurting me any. My summer has been weird anyway, so fall is better.

Agreed. Definitely like November for several reasons:

1. Allows the third day. I feel that's required to become a big time convention.

2. No competition. There's little to nothing scheduled the first week of the month. This should allow them a pick of decent guests in the future.

3. It challenges Wizard World directly with their January show. Being so close to January will hopefully allow the public to forget about the January nonsense that is Wizard World New Orleans and causes them to pack up shop.

3. It challenges Wizard World directly with their January show. Being so close to January will hopefully allow the public to forget about the January nonsense that is Wizard World New Orleans and causes them to pack up shop.

Is it really difficult to "challenge" Wizard World, though? I mean, you, me, and Sun could probably round up a group of guests to challenge them. :)

We could definetly get Jason David Frank and several other power ranger alumni if nothing else.

We could definetly get Jason David Frank and several other power ranger alumni if nothing else.

Probably Mike Grell (just get a few bottles of whiskey for him) and Neal Adams too.

Trekkies rejoice indeed...

Of course, MechaCon is also in July (not my thing though).
We'll have to miss MechaCon this year. But we've been to all of them previously since 2014. My wife and kids are into anime, and they get to experience a lot that doesn't get wide run at more general comic-&-movie based cons. It's also an inexpensive con, a family of four getting in for under $60 on Sunday.

MechaCon has a great merch room. A lot of Japanese vendors selling hard-to-find (in the U.S.) anime merchandise. On top of that, a ton of local vendors show up selling general sci-fi items ... so the room is not 100% anime. Some of the Chewbacchus "krewes within a krewe" have a presence at MechaCon (e.g. Krewe Du Who for Dr. Who fans) and it's cool to see what they are up to off-season.

We'll have to miss MechaCon this year. But we've been to all of them previously since 2014. My wife and kids are into anime, and they get to experience a lot that doesn't get wide run at more general comic-&-movie based cons. It's also an inexpensive con, a family of four getting in for under $60 on Sunday.

MechaCon has a great merch room. A lot of Japanese vendors selling hard-to-find (in the U.S.) anime merchandise. On top of that, a ton of local vendors show up selling general sci-fi items ... so the room is not 100% anime. Some of the Chewbacchus "krewes within a krewe" have a presence at MechaCon (e.g. Krewe Du Who for Dr. Who fans) and it's cool to see what they are up to off-season.

The Mechacon guest lineup this year is really weak. Shockingly so. I'm not sure if major voice talent was booked up previously or what but even people on their Facebook posts are like "I have no idea who any of these people are." But like you said, their vendor room is always really good.

The Mechacon guest lineup this year is really weak. Shockingly so. I'm not sure if major voice talent was booked up previously or what but even people on their Facebook posts are like "I have no idea who any of these people are." But like you said, their vendor room is always really good.
Yeah, in a sense, Mechacon is not really a guest-driven con. At least not the way we've experienced it. They always have voice actors but, at least to me, none of those people are really famous at all. ISTM that the draw of anime is the art and the stories, not really the voicing (not that the voicing can't be done well or enhance the visuals).

We're in much more for the cosplay and the merchandise. Also, several people we know personally or do business with frequently have set up booths at Mechacon over the years, so we always make the rounds of familiar folks to visit when we go.

Yeah, in a sense, Mechacon is not really a guest-driven con. At least not the way we've experienced it. They always have voice actors but, at least to me, none of those people are really famous at all. ISTM that the draw of anime is the art and the stories, not really the voicing (not that the voicing can't be done well or enhance the visuals).

You'd be shocked at the cults of personality that spring up around some voice acting talent. It gets...intense and a little creepy. They are definetly draws to those who know who they are.

I attended MechaCon once when they had an Ingress panel and event tied to it. I really didn't stick around for anything else, but they definitely have their loyal supporters. Hopefully they don't lose them.

So I know I've harped on this a lot the last year or so, but here we are the weekend of San Diego Comic-Con, and it feels like even more of a non-event than the last few years. Thursday and Friday are already over with and so far the big news is:

A Top Gun 2 trailer, a Witcher trailer, the horrible Cats trailer, an It: Chapter 2 trailer. The rest is just various and sundry TV stuff.

Tomorrow will be the big day and we will get some Marvel stuff , but holy crap is this thing just a shadow of its former self at this point. Even if you're talking comic book news it's all been mostly quiet except for some hints at New Mutants and Excalibur relaunches, and a smattering of DC and indie stuff. Again, there will be more to come on that front tomorrow and Sunday, but still. It's a four day event that is halfway over and there's just marginal buzz. This was THE premiere event in entertainment/pop culture for so long and it's crazy how far it's fallen.

Meanwhile, New York Comic Con did 250,000 people last October. Will be interesting to see if they build on that this year. Seems like NYCC has quietly replaced SDCC as the place for big comics announcements.

Trekkies rejoice indeed...

Proof I'm not a Trekkie whatsoever....

I saw that picture of Jonathan Frakes and thought "that looks like the guy from BEYOND BELIEF: FACT OR FICTION?" ( a show I enjoyed in the early 2000s).

Didn't know him from Star Trek......but knew him from a show that lasted only a few seasons and used to air on FOX nearly 2 decades ago. I should probably feel more embarrassed about that than I actually do......but the reality is, after Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner............I pretty much have nothing Trekkie-ish to offer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom