Comic Con Talk (Renamed since LA Comic Con can't get it together) (2 Viewers)

So I know I've harped on this a lot the last year or so, but here we are the weekend of San Diego Comic-Con, and it feels like even more of a non-event than the last few years. Thursday and Friday are already over with and so far the big news is:

A Top Gun 2 trailer, a Witcher trailer, the horrible Cats trailer, an It: Chapter 2 trailer. The rest is just various and sundry TV stuff.

Tomorrow will be the big day and we will get some Marvel stuff , but holy crap is this thing just a shadow of its former self at this point. Even if you're talking comic book news it's all been mostly quiet except for some hints at New Mutants and Excalibur relaunches, and a smattering of DC and indie stuff. Again, there will be more to come on that front tomorrow and Sunday, but still. It's a four day event that is halfway over and there's just marginal buzz. This was THE premiere event in entertainment/pop culture for so long and it's crazy how far it's fallen.

Meanwhile, New York Comic Con did 250,000 people last October. Will be interesting to see if they build on that this year. Seems like NYCC has quietly replaced SDCC as the place for big comics announcements.

Yep, it's on the decline, but thankfully, we have a proliferation of other cons around the country that are making it easier for more and more people to get in on the experience. SDCC was never something I could afford to go to, no matter how much I wanted to.

Proof I'm not a Trekkie whatsoever....

I saw that picture of Jonathan Frakes and thought "that looks like the guy from BEYOND BELIEF: FACT OR FICTION?" ( a show I enjoyed in the early 2000s).

Didn't know him from Star Trek......but knew him from a show that lasted only a few seasons and used to air on FOX nearly 2 decades ago. I should probably feel more embarrassed about that than I actually do......but the reality is, after Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner............I pretty much have nothing Trekkie-ish to offer.

We forgive you. ;)

So I know I've harped on this a lot the last year or so, but here we are the weekend of San Diego Comic-Con, and it feels like even more of a non-event than the last few years. Thursday and Friday are already over with and so far the big news is:

A Top Gun 2 trailer, a Witcher trailer, the horrible Cats trailer, an It: Chapter 2 trailer. The rest is just various and sundry TV stuff.

Tomorrow will be the big day and we will get some Marvel stuff , but holy crap is this thing just a shadow of its former self at this point. Even if you're talking comic book news it's all been mostly quiet except for some hints at New Mutants and Excalibur relaunches, and a smattering of DC and indie stuff. Again, there will be more to come on that front tomorrow and Sunday, but still. It's a four day event that is halfway over and there's just marginal buzz. This was THE premiere event in entertainment/pop culture for so long and it's crazy how far it's fallen.

Meanwhile, New York Comic Con did 250,000 people last October. Will be interesting to see if they build on that this year. Seems like NYCC has quietly replaced SDCC as the place for big comics announcements.

Well, Batman was inducted into their Hall of Fame. That's good enough for me (not really).

But you're right. NYCC is quickly becoming the place to go for the comic experience.

Hell, I had a chance to go to SDCC this year and I passed in favor of going HeroesCon (but did Niagara Falls Comic Con instead).

Clay Mann has been confirmed to return...

Last edited:
Good to see they're getting most everyone back. Looking forward to it!

Still waiting on Robert Englund and the Karate Kid group to re-announce. I'm hoping they aren't lost in the move.

Big Easy Con responded to a comment on one of their Facebook posts and said Robert Englund has a previous commitment and wont be able to make the November date.

Big Easy Con responded to a comment on one of their Facebook posts and said Robert Englund has a previous commitment and wont be able to make the November date.

Argh. They just had to go and change the date huh? fork.

It's still looking to be a great weekend.

Oh yes, no doubt, but Robert Englund was the top draw for me. Just takes a little bit of the shine off of things.

Adam Kubert has been confirmed for November.

Now this is a great addition to the weekend from a comic standpoint...

Marina Sirtis added back for November and Michael Dorn added also. Pretty good TNG cast showing between them and Frakes/Spiner. Don't know if they'll get LaVar Burton, but he will be at Geek'd Con in Shreveport in two weeks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom