Comic Con Talk (Renamed since LA Comic Con can't get it together) (2 Viewers)

Looks like Big Easy Con is getting pretty much everyone back minus Robert Englund. Plus beefing up the Artist's Room.

Really can't complain in retrospect. Big Easy Con is a new con and has a name to build up, so rescheduling with six weeks (?) to go was a risk. Looks like it was a risk worth taking, though.

Marina Sirtis added back for November and Michael Dorn added also. Pretty good TNG cast showing between them and Frakes/Spiner. Don't know if they'll get LaVar Burton, but he will be at Geek'd Con in Shreveport in two weeks.

I'll definitely be paying for that photo op.

I was planning on going to Geek'd Con, but my job is sending me to Chicago that weekend for a conference.

I'm still miffed about no Robert Englund. Nevertheless, it's still a terrific lineup of guests.

Looks like Big Easy Con is getting pretty much everyone back minus Robert Englund. Plus beefing up the Artist's Room.

Really can't complain in retrospect. Big Easy Con is a new con and has a name to build up, so rescheduling with six weeks (?) to go was a risk. Looks like it was a risk worth taking, though.

Agreed

Off the top of my head, the big names that haven't been added back yet are Englund, Linda Blair, the Karate Kid/Cobra Kai reunion, and Big E/Xavier Woods.

Englund is out for sure. They replied to a post saying that Linda Blair wasn't currently booked for November but that could still change, and no word on The New Day, but I'm going to guess with WWE's touring schedule it is tough to just shift those dates around. No clue on the Karate Kid guys.

Overall, I'm happy with the guest lists. And like I said before, I'm *really* happy they haven't forgotten the comic part of comic con. They've got a really good writer and artist lineup on top of celebrity guests.

Big Easy Con responded to a comment on one of their Facebook posts and said Robert Englund has a previous commitment and wont be able to make the November date.
Englund is still doing LeftField Media's other cons, including Rose City Con (Portland OR) in mid-September.

Kinda spitballing here, but: With Big Easy Con the three days immediately after Halloween ... you gotta imagine that Englund has a bazillion Halloween-themed appearances in October up until Halloween. Cassandra Peterson (Elvira, Mistress of the Dark) has talked about this kind of Halloween-centric booking and how busy she gets and how it even bleeds into early November.

I would think it's similar for Englund as Freddie Krueger. He may either still be booked for a Halloween-ish gig November 1-3, or else he may simply need a break after a month-long grind of appearances.

Just a quirk of timing, it seems like. If Big Easy Con were a week or two later, Englund could probably make it. He is a frequent partner with LeftField, so maybe he'll make it down here another year in the near future.

I'm still miffed about no Robert Englund. Nevertheless, it's still a terrific lineup of guests.

Get over it. :biglol:

Off the top of my head, the big names that haven't been added back yet are Englund, Linda Blair, the Karate Kid/Cobra Kai reunion, and Big E/Xavier Woods.

Englund is out for sure. They replied to a post saying that Linda Blair wasn't currently booked for November but that could still change, and no word on The New Day, but I'm going to guess with WWE's touring schedule it is tough to just shift those dates around. No clue on the Karate Kid guys.

Overall, I'm happy with the guest lists. And like I said before, I'm *really* happy they haven't forgotten the comic part of comic con. They've got a really good writer and artist lineup on top of celebrity guests.

Yeah. I'm thinking we may still get a few of them back. Even if not, they'll be bringing in more between now and November. This lineup is solid.

DC writer Kyle Higgins has been reconfirmed for Big Easy Con...

Putting this in the right thread...

Geek'd Con report:

This was the first time that the kids and I went to this con, so we were kinda feeling things out, not sure what to expect. I'll come out and say that it was an excellent experience. It's about on the same level as the LACC in Lafayette, but it felt like there was a lot more people. Hard to tell for sure, though. There was plenty of parking, the exhibit hall was neatly arranged, and they had a BUNCH of vendors there selling old comics. One vendor I saw had a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15. It wasn't graded, but looked to be in pretty good shape. I didn't even ask how much. :) That same vendor had quite a few other older comics, all good quality. There was also a good selection of artwork (I bought a terrific Superman piece - a print of a stained glass design, pic included below). They had a ton of Funko Pops, but I didn't find anything I really wanted. The kids each got a little something and my daughter got to add to her Transformers autograph collection by meeting Mark Ryan (he voiced Bumblebee, Jetfire, and Lockdown in the Bay movies). While I didn't end up getting any autographs, the lines for Michael Rooker and Levar Burton were longggggg. They were each charging $60 per auto, so they must have made a killing.

So overall, good experience. I like the timing of this one, too. LACC in March now and Geek'd in August makes things easier on the wallet. I'm pretty sure we'll be coming back to this one next year.

Geek'd Con report:

This was the first time that the kids and I went to this con, so we were kinda feeling things out, not sure what to expect. I'll come out and say that it was an excellent experience. It's about on the same level as the LACC in Lafayette, but it felt like there was a lot more people. Hard to tell for sure, though. There was plenty of parking, the exhibit hall was neatly arranged, and they had a BUNCH of vendors there selling old comics. One vendor I saw had a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15. It wasn't graded, but looked to be in pretty good shape. I didn't even ask how much. :) That same vendor had quite a few other older comics, all good quality. There was also a good selection of artwork (I bought a terrific Superman piece - a print of a stained glass design, pic included below). They had a ton of Funko Pops, but I didn't find anything I really wanted. The kids each got a little something and my daughter got to add to her Transformers autograph collection by meeting Mark Ryan (he voiced Bumblebee, Jetfire, and Lockdown in the Bay movies). While I didn't end up getting any autographs, the lines for Michael Rooker and Levar Burton were longggggg. They were each charging $60 per auto, so they must have made a killing.

So overall, good experience. I like the timing of this one, too. LACC in March now and Geek'd in August makes things easier on the wallet. I'm pretty sure we'll be coming back to this one next year.

Was there today as well. I will say that felt like a somewhat bigger Geek'd Con crowd than normal. In 5 years of going to the show I've never had to park anywhere other than the adjacent parking garage and today I had to park two blocks down and walk. Will be interesting to see their attendance numbers. I have a feeling this could be their biggest year yet. Showroom floor was packed and LeVar Burton and Michael Rookers lines didnt let up for most of the day.

Had a great time today, as always. I'm a bit bummed I missed the Michael Rooker panel because apparently he just got off stage, started walking the crowd and taking random questions and everyone was raving about it.

Vendor room floor was packed and there was a good variety. I was VERY happy with the actual comic book selection. Excalibur always does their big booth but there were three or four other ones as well. Lots of good silver age stuff to be had today if you were willing to look.

I had a nice conversation with the artists who did that Superman print you got. I really loved their art. Didnt buy anything from them today but got their card and will likely be making an online purchase soon. I was really blown away by their stuff, both their original work and pop culture stuff as well.

I hate you both right now... :rant:

I had a nice conversation with the artists who did that Superman print you got. I really loved their art. Didnt buy anything from them today but got their card and will likely be making an online purchase soon. I was really blown away by their stuff, both their original work and pop culture stuff as well.

I just looked them up online. They go to comic cons all over the place. They were at SDCC last month.

So the print I was going to buy was a smaller size, probably a 6 x 10 or something like that. It was $20. No problem. I pay him and he goes to look for it, but can't find any. I was a bit bummed, but he said, "I can refund or I can give you a deal on the 10 x 20. How about $30 for it?" It is normally $50, so I saved $20 and was quite happy. Now I just need to find a frame to put it in.

Meanwhile in Chicago, it's crowded as hell, but there's no cosplay involved.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom