Louisiana Comic Con (2 Viewers)

Sun Wukong

Kicker's, Inc. Superfan
Reaction score
For whatever reason Geekd Con was talking about experimenting with a no panel format even before covid hit. Greg Atoms, the guy who heads it up, never adequately explained why he thought this was a good idea from what I remember. But it was in the hopper even before the pandemic.

Sun Wukong

Kicker's, Inc. Superfan
Reaction score

Fan Expo is taking over Wizard World's shows, including Wizard World New Orleans. Could make that con relevant again as WW had been dying on the vine for a while.

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score

Fan Expo is taking over Wizard World's shows, including Wizard World New Orleans. Could make that con relevant again as WW had been dying on the vine for a while.
HOLY sheet!!! YES!!! My dreams have come true. I have been asking them for this since I've attended my first show of theirs. They took over Boston Comic-Con and it immediately became a money-maker. Believe me folks, FanExpo WILL NOT be like Big Easy Con.

This is GREAT news.

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score

Since we were on Wizard World's mailing list, we got an email about this yesterday.

I've been in wait-and-see mode with January 2022's New Orleans WW Con. I'm glad to see Grandadmiral's positive post about the prospects of Fan Expo, though.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like Geekd Con in Shreveport is rolling on full speed ahead this weekend. Middle of the worst wave yet and all those people packed in there. No thank you.

Sun Wukong

Kicker's, Inc. Superfan
Reaction score
Looks like Geekd Con in Shreveport is rolling on full speed ahead this weekend. Middle of the worst wave yet and all those people packed in there. No thank you.

Yeah, friend of mine is doing a booth and was trying to get me to go but there's no way. Not right now.

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
I went to Geek'd Con earlier. Even though it's been an annual thing (2020 obviously excluded) since like 2016, it always seemed like the previous years fell on a weekend where I was out of town or just otherwise occupied.

It was cool seeing the various cosplay outfits and the celebrities, although I really dont have much interest in the whole paying for autographs/pictures thing. Alice Cooper definitely had the longest line and there wasn't really a close second.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I went to Geek'd Con earlier. Even though it's been an annual thing (2020 obviously excluded) since like 2016, it always seemed like the previous years fell on a weekend where I was out of town or just otherwise occupied.

It was cool seeing the various cosplay outfits and the celebrities, although I really dont have much interest in the whole paying for autographs/pictures thing. Alice Cooper definitely had the longest line and there wasn't really a close second.
How was the crowd? Masking, social distancing?

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
How was the crowd? Masking, social distancing?

It certainly seemed like a solid number of people were there, but I have no real basis for comparison, having never attended any of the previous events. It wasn't like shoulder-to-shoulder or anything.

Masks were mandated, but obviously people would pull them down to take a picture with a celebrity. I didn't see very many of the celebrities with masks on, although Vanessa Angel and Alice Cooper had plastic shields in front of their booths. Neither of them were doing photos, either..... Just seemed to be autographing photos available for purchase.

The duo from Walton and Johnson (Walton passed in 2019, his replacement was Kenny Webster), as well as JBL, did not seem to have any problems doing photos while standing next to people and remaining maskless. I haven't really read anything about JBL's beliefs on masking or Covid in general, but I've listened to the Walton and Johnson show enough times to not be the least bit surprised that they didn't make masking a priority.

As far as social distancing......the lines looked about like any other typical line you would see anywhere, in terms of spacing. I didn't see any six feet enforcement going on.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
It certainly seemed like a solid number of people were there, but I have no real basis for comparison, having never attended any of the previous events. It wasn't like shoulder-to-shoulder or anything.

Masks were mandated, but obviously people would pull them down to take a picture with a celebrity. I didn't see very many of the celebrities with masks on, although Vanessa Angel and Alice Cooper had plastic shields in front of their booths. Neither of them were doing photos, either..... Just seemed to be autographing photos available for purchase.

The duo from Walton and Johnson (Walton passed in 2019, his replacement was Kenny Webster), as well as JBL, did not seem to have any problems doing photos while standing next to people and remaining maskless. I haven't really read anything about JBL's beliefs on masking or Covid in general, but I've listened to the Walton and Johnson show enough times to not be the least bit surprised that they didn't make masking a priority.

As far as social distancing......the lines looked about like any other typical line you would see anywhere, in terms of spacing. I didn't see any six feet enforcement going on.
JBL would probably be a follow of Walton and Johnson politically.

One of the LCSs in BR had a small collector's con today at the Holiday Inn. It wasn't bad for its first time at it. No guest, just vendors selling comics and cards. Got a good bit of back issues. The one dude went forking crazy because he got a Pokemon card pack and pulled a Charizard card, which I assume is super rare.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
JBL would probably be a follow of Walton and Johnson politically.

One of the LCSs in BR had a small collector's con today at the Holiday Inn. It wasn't bad for its first time at it. No guest, just vendors selling comics and cards. Got a good bit of back issues. The one dude went forking crazy because he got a Pokemon card pack and pulled a Charizard card, which I assume is super rare.
Nice. That sounds like an enjoyable time. I'd love to go to a good comics and cards show, especially once the covid numbers settle down.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
Nice. That sounds like an enjoyable time. I'd love to go to a good comics and cards show, especially once the covid numbers settle down.
This wasn't bad. Lots of space and everyone was masked up.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
One week out, Louisiana CC is still happening. Doesn't look like they're backing out this time. There's gonna be more than a few people who end up sick.

Sun Wukong

Kicker's, Inc. Superfan
Reaction score
One week out, Louisiana CC is still happening. Doesn't look like they're backing out this time. There's gonna be more than a few people who end up sick.

Yeah. And honestly, its a pretty weak guest line up, too, from a headliner standpoint. Will be sitting this one out.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah. And honestly, its a pretty weak guest line up, too, from a headliner standpoint. Will be sitting this one out.
Yes, very weak. Makes it so much easier to skip this one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom