Comic Con Talk (Renamed since LA Comic Con can't get it together) (6 Viewers)

So, we're now 5 months away from Louisiana Comic Con and still not a single guest announcement. They announced the con a month ago. It would be nice to have had at least one announcement by now.
Ask and you shall receive...

But you won't like it.

But you won't like it.

It's going to be a typical AVC lineup, heavy on voice actors and power rangers. The question is do we get a decent headliner/co-headliner this year like all their other cons have been getting (Billy Dee Williams, Bruce Campbell, Sting, etc.) or will it be scraps again like it was going to be last year.

But you won't like it.

Ouch. That's a rough start. Like sandpaper rough. We waited this long and that's how they decide to lead off? Not exactly the best way to drive some ticket sales.

Next up in La Comic Con guests....

Keone Young

So far, they're striking out hard with me and guests I'm interested in seeing. I'm really hoping they're holding off on the big gun announcements because if this is as good as it's gonna get.....ugh.

Next up in La Comic Con guests....

Keone Young

So far, they're striking out hard with me and guests I'm interested in seeing. I'm really hoping they're holding off on the big gun announcements because if this is as good as it's gonna get.....ugh.
Yeah. I won't be attending. I wonder if they're trying to kill it off for the Shreveport event.

Yeah. I won't be attending. I wonder if they're trying to kill it off for the Shreveport event.
Almost seems like it. I'd love to be a fly on the wall.

So there is now clarification on that weirdness with the AVC guy running that Shreveport con a while back. Essentially the guys that were running AVC together are no longer partners, and at the end of this cycle they're going to dissolve the company and split the cons between two new companies. So AVC will cease to exist and two new companies will replace it with the cons divided up between the companies of each former partner. The Shreveport con was run by the one who will not be taking over Louisiana Comic Con, so it was apparently his attempt to carve out business to compete against LACC. But Geek'd Con is really what he's up against, not LACC, and Geek'd Con has placed itself as a tier above what AVC had been doing in terms of guests and attendance, IMHO.

So anyway...lots of Con drama.

So there is now clarification on that weirdness with the AVC guy running that Shreveport con a while back. Essentially the guys that were running AVC together are no longer partners, and at the end of this cycle they're going to dissolve the company and split the cons between two new companies. So AVC will cease to exist and two new companies will replace it with the cons divided up between the companies of each former partner. The Shreveport con was run by the one who will not be taking over Louisiana Comic Con, so it was apparently his attempt to carve out business to compete against LACC. But Geek'd Con is really what he's up against, not LACC, and Geek'd Con has placed itself as a tier above what AVC had been doing in terms of guests and attendance, IMHO.

So anyway...lots of Con drama.
Can I just say that I've never been a fan of Geek'd Con from a guest standpoint. Granted, I say this as a comic book fan, not a pop culture fan. Like AVC, they simply bring back the same folks every year.

Didn't even know the Shreveport event happen already.

Can I just say that I've never been a fan of Geek'd Con from a guest standpoint. Granted, I say this as a comic book fan, not a pop culture fan. Like AVC, they simply bring back the same folks every year.

Didn't even know the Shreveport event happen already.

In their defense on that front, they have kind of said more than once that they're more a pop culture convention than a pure comic convention, and in terms of movies, tv shows, wrestlers, etc. they do get a higher quality of guest than LACC usually does.

They do get some good comic guests like George Perez a few years ago or Mike Grell. But the convention industry has just reached a point where comic creator names aren't the ones selling tickets so much these days.

In their defense on that front, they have kind of said more than once that they're more a pop culture convention than a pure comic convention, and in terms of movies, tv shows, wrestlers, etc. they do get a higher quality of guest than LACC usually does.

They do get some good comic guests like George Perez a few years ago or Mike Grell. But the convention industry has just reached a point where comic creator names aren't the ones selling tickets so much these days.
Oh, I'm not questioning any of that. I'm just speaking of my personal preference. Like I'm perfectly sure that I'll be enjoying HeroesCon and Baltimore CC more than I did Megacon last weekend because their lineups are 100% comic book creators.

The last guest announcement came on May 20th. After three long weeks of waiting, we finally get the next guest announcement.....

.....and it's Kody Chamberlain.....who is at EVERY show. (Edit: Nothing against Kody. He's got some cool stuff. My disappointment is not with him at all, but with LaCC and their guest announcements to this point.)

Last edited:
The last guest announcement came on May 20th. After three long weeks of waiting, we finally get the next guest announcement.....

.....and it's Kody Chamberlain.....who is at EVERY show. (Edit: Nothing against Kody. He's got some cool stuff. My disappointment is not with him at all, but with LaCC and their guest announcements to this point.)

I think the behind the scenes drama with AVC dissolving may have negatively impacted LACC. That guest list sucks so far.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom