Louisiana Comic Con (2 Viewers)

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Did anybody else go yesterday? There's another day of it today at the Cajundome.

The kids and I went and we had a blast. They got to see Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett), Ernie Hudson (Ghostbusters), and Steve Cardenas (the red Power Ranger). It was their first time at a comic con. If you haven't gone before and are in the area, I recommend it. We spent the day. The environment was extremely friendly. We'll be going again next year.

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
I remember meeting Sirtis on a Star Trek cruise once when TNG was still hot. She was in this hot two-piece. If she didn't have such a crappy attitude, she might've got the business. :hihi:

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
So has anyone signed up for the newsletter for Big Easy Con? Seems they're gauging interest on what/who you want to see at the event.

OP
OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So has anyone signed up for the newsletter for Big Easy Con? Seems they're gauging interest on what/who you want to see at the event.
I did. I didn't voice my opinion yet, but I've really got to think about it. I wonder how big they can draw?

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
I did. I didn't voice my opinion yet, but I've really got to think about it. I wonder how big they can draw?
Well if they can put on a show like they do with Awesome Con in Washington, DC, it should be the bomb.

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
Well if they can put on a show like they do with Awesome Con in Washington, DC, it should be the bomb.
They also do the Rose City Comic Con in Portland, Oregon every year. That particular con pretty much gets the same level of celebrities as the Wizard World cons. Maybe a tick below -- WW really pulled off a coup getting the Civil War cast (minus Robert Downey Jr) in 2016.

But the Rose City Con has booked Stan Lee and the late Adam West in recent years. They also got Weird Al Yankovic in 2017, who would be a huge draw for any con IMHO.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
See
They also do the Rose City Comic Con in Portland, Oregon every year. That particular con pretty much gets the same level of celebrities as the Wizard World cons. Maybe a tick below -- WW really pulled off a coup getting the Civil War cast (minus Robert Downey Jr) in 2016.

But the Rose City Con has booked Stan Lee and the late Adam West in recent years. They also got Weird Al Yankovic in 2017, who would be a huge draw for any con IMHO.
See, a lot of you guys seem to go there celebrity route at cons. I don't necessarily. I go for the comic creators primarily and celebrities secondarily. As a Trekkie, I'm stoked to meet TNG crew, but I'm paying close attention to who they bring in from the comic side. If it's anything like Awesome Con, it will be good.

How have things been at Rose City from that standpoint?

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
... I go for the comic creators primarily and celebrities secondarily. As a Trekkie, I'm stoked to meet TNG crew, but I'm paying close attention to who they bring in from the comic side. If it's anything like Awesome Con, it will be good.

How have things been at Rose City from that standpoint?
The 2018 Rose City con last month had these comics folks among others: Mike Mignola, Jim Starlin, Gerry Conway, Brian Michael Bendis, Jeff Parker, Dustin Nguyen, David Walker, Ibrahim Moustafa, Chelsea Cain, Kelly Sue DeConnick, Christopher Sebela, and Amy Chu.

While I completely understand your take about the draw of comics artists ... it does seem that attracting a certain level of celebrity guest helps a ton to legitimize a convention. For better or worse. Last month's Rose City was actually a lot better than I thought on that front ... easily better than the recent WW con in New Orleans: Val Kilmer, Michael Biehn, David Tennant (that guy must live on the con circuit), Michael Rooker (Tennant's roommate on the con circuit?), Evangeline Lilly, Linda Blair, Brandon Routh, Tom Welling, Felicia Day again (seems to do a ton of West Coast cons), Karl Urban, Caity Lotz, and Ralph Macchio.

OP
OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
David Tennant, Linda Blair, Brandon Routh, Tom Welling, Ralph Macchio.
I would have paid for all these autos. If this is what I can expect for Big Easy Con, I'm gonna be broke. Better start saving.

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
Big Easy Con already announcing guests. I'd like to meet Brent Spiner and Marina Sirtis. This is a promising start.

http://bigeasycon.com/guest/
Awesome Con 2019 (next April) in Washington DC also has Spiner and Sirtis booked -- plus Val Kilmer. I wonder if Big Easy Con will get Kilmer, too?

"No, sorry ... Billy Kilmer was not my dad."

Looking up who Awesome Con 2018 had this past March might give some hints at who'll come to N.O. next June. Some repeats from the Rose City 2018 list, some not: John Boyega with someone controlling (the real movie prop?) BB-8, John Barrowman, Dave Bautista, the tireless Michael Rooker, Pom Klementieff, Sean Gunn (nice get!), Stephen Amell from Arrow (came to N.O. with WW in 2017), Michael Dorn again, Rene Auberjonois, Cress Williams from Black Lightning, Tom Welling from Smallville, Ben Savage from Boy Meets World (ok?), and Charisma Carpenter from Buffy & Angel (she was in N.O. for the WW Comic Con this past January).

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
I would have paid for all these autos. If this is what I can expect for Big Easy Con, I'm gonna be broke. Better start saving.
I saw Macchio at the Raleigh con I went to in July. Dude has a great plastic surgeon.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
Went to s small local con in Covington today. It was pretty nice; smaller than expected. I was able to get 60 for $60. Not a bad haul today.

OP
OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Went to s small local con in Covington today. It was pretty nice; smaller than expected. I was able to get 60 for $60. Not a bad haul today.
How many long boxes of comics do you have?

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
The St Tammany Collectors Convention? Was there today also. Some family friends run a large booth of collectible toys and games + a few long boxes of dollar comics.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
How many long boxes of comics do you have?
About 8 followed by a good bit of short ones.
The St Tammany Collectors Convention? Was there today also. Some family friends run a large booth of collectible toys and games + a few long boxes of dollar comics.
Yeah. It was my first time in attendance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)