Comic Con Talk (Renamed since LA Comic Con can't get it together) (4 Viewers)

The group that does this one, AVC Conventions, does the one in Shreveport and the Mississippi Comic Con. Last year was their first in Lafayette (I didn't go to that one), but the one in Shreveport is April 22 and 23. Depending on what guests will be there, the kids and I might haul ourselves up there. Right now, the only announced guest is Johnny Yong Bosch, the Black Power Ranger. I'm really hoping that the one in Lafayette continues to grow, as I'd love to make that one a yearly tradition.

It will be interesting to see how the Comic-Con in Shreveport goes.

AVC was actually the first one to run a con in Shreveport about three years ago, but they grossly underestimated how much demand there was and booked a way too small venue and a lot of people had a bad experience waiting outside unable to get in due to fire code limits, etc.

Then another group swooped in and started running Geek'd Con the next year out of the Shreveport Convention Center, so space wasn't an issue. I've been both years and it's been a nice little convention. I guess AVC decided to run out of Mississippi and Lafayette during that period, but now they're moving back into Shreveport/Bossier. There was actually someone at Geek'd Con handing out flyers about Louisiana Comic-Con SBC this year, hahaha. They'll be at Hirsch Colosseum this time, so space won't be an issue. But it will be interesting to see if Shreveport/Bossier can effectively support two cons a year, plus the smaller anime festival AVC has been running there.

Personally, it's all good for me. I love conventions so the more the better.

So we made our return trip to the Louisiana Comic Con in Lafayette today. Once again, had a blast. The kids and I waited in line for an hour to meet the Green Power Ranger. He signed our Pop figure and took a picture with the kids. They were so excited. Of course, we walked around looking at everything and bought a couple of things. Saw Sean Astin, but didn't get his auto. Saw Michael Biehn (from Aliens and Terminator). Barry Bostwick was there. Listened to his Q&A panel because it was right before Jason David Frank's. Sooo many people were dressed up, even more than last year it seemed. Terrific way to spend a Saturday.

Not X Rated, but there were several times when I felt the need to avert my eyes from the massive amount of boobs on display. I didn't think it was exactly polite to stare. ;)

Pictures to post in this thread would've been entirely appropriate however

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There didn't seem to be as many boobs on display as last year. Plenty of skin tight outfits, though.

So we made our return trip to the Louisiana Comic Con in Lafayette today. Once again, had a blast. The kids and I waited in line for an hour to meet the Green Power Ranger. He signed our Pop figure and took a picture with the kids. They were so excited. Of course, we walked around looking at everything and bought a couple of things. Saw Sean Astin, but didn't get his auto. Saw Michael Biehn (from Aliens and Terminator). Barry Bostwick was there. Listened to his Q&A panel because it was right before Jason David Frank's. Sooo many people were dressed up, even more than last year it seemed. Terrific way to spend a Saturday.

Yeah, there was a lot more cosplay this year. Some very impressive stuff, too. There was an entire family in Mandalorian armor that was really well done.

And yeah, lots of boobs. There was one Mad Moxxi cosplayer in particular that was almost implausible in how much she had and how much she was showing. I kept actively trying not to stare. Then my friend walked right up and asked to take a picture, haha.

Had a blast, though. They're doing a great job with that con.

Was considering going this year until I realized I had a conference in Seattle. These are the same people that do the one in North Louisiana as well right? Are both shows the same?

Was considering going this year until I realized I had a conference in Seattle. These are the same people that do the one in North Louisiana as well right? Are both shows the same?

Yep, same group. Different lineup of guests, though.

Would one be deemed better than the other?

The group is AVC Conventions. I went to three of their Cons this year: La Comic-Con Shreveport, Mississippi Comic-Con, and La Comic-Con Lafayette (they also promote an anime con in Mississippi and a con in Arkansas, but I haven't attended either of those.). All are really good mid-size Cons, but I do think Lafayette is the best as far as variety, amount, and quality of Cosplay and number of attendees. But I have had a really great time at all of their cons I have gone to.

Also, I didn't get his autograph, but Jake The Snake Roberts was there and I passed his signing table countless times. He looked to be in pretty good health! Nice to see after all the insane substance abuse issues he's been through.

Spent some time walking around the con and taking in the sights. The star power seems to get a little better each year with more recognizable folks being brought in.

I'm not a big fan of the autograph prices though. I know it is how folks make their money, but some of the prices were a little on the crazy side. I know some do this because they want to discourage the flip, but some of these folks have little worry about because even at a cheaper price the autograph wouldn't flip for much, if any, profit.

Vendors were pretty good , but I still go in looking for someone who has older comics or who are at least organized enough to encourage digging through the boxes. There seemed to be less of that available this year.

Spent some time walking around the con and taking in the sights. The star power seems to get a little better each year with more recognizable folks being brought in.

I'm not a big fan of the autograph prices though. I know it is how folks make their money, but some of the prices were a little on the crazy side. I know some do this because they want to discourage the flip, but some of these folks have little worry about because even at a cheaper price the autograph wouldn't flip for much, if any, profit.

Vendors were pretty good , but I still go in looking for someone who has older comics or who are at least organized enough to encourage digging through the boxes. There seemed to be less of that available this year.
Autographs aren't what they used to be because the market is flooded with them.

Right. The autographs are nice to get here and there, in my opinion. Even though Jason David Frank's auto pricing was higher than I wanted to pay, I went ahead and got it because the kids got to meet him and take a picture with him. So, in my mind, I paid for the experience and got the auto and pic thrown in.

And I agree that the level of celebrity they're getting has grown. It's almost a little too cramped in the convention center at this point. I'd say that in another year or two, it may be too small in there. I'd love to see it grow enough that they can move it into the Cajundome itself. That would put it at a very high level medium sized con.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom