Comic Con Talk (Renamed since LA Comic Con can't get it together) (1 Viewer)

That doesn't sound all that impressive. At all.

It wasn't. Having to tell people "No, I don't want a free trip to Orlando. No, I don't want a free trip to Disney," is not something I'm used to saying at a comic convention.

What I'm completely surprised about is the number of people who are clambering on Facebook about how much fun it was and how they prefer lite crowds. What?

:idunno:

Last edited:
What I'm completely surprised about is the number of people who are clambering on Facebook about how much fun it was and how they prefer lite crowds. What?
On the Facebook page, they seem to be "back-promoting" (is that a word?)** their third day as kind of a "Kid's Day". Lots of Facebook photos of little kids in cosplay, posts about the kids' cosplay show, and such.

I can see if you're bringing small kids to a con, you might appreciate a small turnout. There's a balancing point, though, IMHO. Yeah, if it's wall-to-wall packed like Bourbon Street on Lundi Gras ... it is a giant pain to navigate with children. I can understand that.

But if it's mostly empty, it just seems pitiful -- every vendor and artist is desperate for cash/attention and you feel like a heel for walking by stuff you're not interested in. And the shared experience with other con-goers is diminished or even absent. Some of the most fun we've had at cons has been with my wife and daughter talking to people about their especially cool cosplay ... how they made their props, putting on the make-up, etc. With low-attendance show ... after you've put in so many hours on your costume, how fun is it when barely anyone acknowledges it?

So I don't know ... taking the little ones through an empty Hall J, killing time until the kiddie costume contest, having a $15 root beer, perusing too-expensive toys with kids too young to care about collecting, etc. That can be a fun diversion if your con experience is pretty much totally centered on your kids. But a top-notch con still appeals to that demographic, too -- and so many more at the same time.

Some of the videos that BEC posted on the Facebook page of con-goers having fun doing this or that: they've edited those videos as well as they can, but you can still see in the background how few people are roaming around.

EDIT: I should have written "retroactively promoting".

Last edited:
It wasn't. Haveing to tell people "No, I don't want a free trip to Orlando. No, I don't want a free trip to Disney," is not something I'm used to saying at a comic convention.

:idunno:

A big part of a con for me is looking at the merch. I like to pick up a painting, a print, a Pop. So if that's lacking, that's a big negative in my book. Even if they have this again next year, unless there's a guest I REALLY want to meet (Robert Englund, I'm looking at you), then I'll probably skip. Like you said before, when Wizard World does it better, then you know you've got problems.

On the Facebook page, they seem to be "back-promoting" (is that a word?)** their third day as kind of a "Kid's Day". Lots of Facebook photos of little kids in cosplay, posts about the kids' cosplay show, and such.

I can see if you're bringing small kids to a con, you might appreciate a small turnout. There's a balancing point, though, IMHO. Yeah, if it's wall-to-wall packed like Bourbon Street on Lundi Gras ... it is a giant pain to navigate with children. I can understand that.

But if it's mostly empty, it just seems pitiful -- every vendor and artist is desperate for cash/attention and you feel like a heel for walking by stuff you're not interested in. And the shared experience with other con-goers is diminished or even absent. Some of the most fun we've had at cons has been with my wife and daughter talking to people about their especially cool cosplay ... how they made their props, putting on the make-up, etc. With low-attendance show ... after you've put in so many hours on your costume, how fun is it when barely anyone acknowledges it?

So I don't know ... taking the little ones through an empty Hall J, killing time until the kiddie costume contest, having a $15 root beer, perusing too-expensive toys with kids too young to care about collecting, etc. That can be a fun diversion if your con experience is pretty much totally centered on your kids. But a top-notch con still appeals to that demographic, too -- and so many more at the same time.

Some of the videos that BEC posted on the Facebook page of con-goers having fun doing this or that: they've edited those videos as well as they can, but you can still see in the background how few people are roaming around.

EDIT: I should have written "retroactively promoting".

All three days were empty. My Star Trek group said that enough people had done packed up and left between 5:30 - 6pm on Saturday (with a 7pm end time) that BEC sent everyone a message asking that they not leave early Sunday. Obviously that didn't work as all of the comic guests were gone by 2pm. DC was giving the library and another literacy group all of their free merch. My Star Trek group only had flyers on its table and all their gear packed in the car.

All of the comic creators I got to speak with spoke of how bad this looked for the company and the city, considering they worked with the promoter at other shows. Klaus Janson point blank told me the only reason he didn't cancel was because they already paid him. And with the exception of Peter Tomasi, this was their first time visiting New Orleans. Not a good first impression (granted, they do love the city).

BTW, Kids Con was in a separate section, but that was pretty dead as well.

A big part of a con for me is looking at the merch. I like to pick up a painting, a print, a Pop. So if that's lacking, that's a big negative in my book. Even if they have this again next year, unless there's a guest I REALLY want to meet (Robert Englund, I'm looking at you), then I'll probably skip. Like you said before, when Wizard World does it better, then you know you've got problems.

Yeah. I really only remember two tables that were selling prints (I remember because one had a nice metal print that was a little too expensive. And the one big toy supplier has a decent sixe of toys, particularly Pops, for sale. But everything else was hit or miss. I did buy a few con exclusive foil covers from the DC and some Star Trek gear that I had been looking for for a while. But there really wasn't anything else there I wanted to spend my money on.

So it seems we're getting a Smallville reunion for Wizard World...

I've noticed a distinct lack of "see you next year!" in BECs closeout social media posts. On one FB post someone asked if there would be one next year and someone else replied "I hope not." Damn, haha.

I've noticed a distinct lack of "see you next year!" in BECs closeout social media posts. On one FB post someone asked if there would be one next year and someone else replied "I hope not." Damn, haha.

When I was looking at the Wizard World lineup, I saw a picture of a packed house and I said, "THAT'S how a comic con should look!" And then I felt dirty because it was Wizard World.

Wizard World has added Jim Steranko to their Artist Alley. If they somehow had Neal Adams, they need to make sure they put those two close together. The stories...

Next announcement for Louisiana CC is Brina Palencia. I have no clue about her, as she's done lots of anime voicing and that's not my thing.

Mick Foley added as a guest to Louisiana Comic Con. He did Geekd a few years ago, but I missed him then.

Mick Foley added as a guest to Louisiana Comic Con. He did Geekd a few years ago, but I missed him then.

He was in Mississippi at the con there. He had a comparable line of people to see him that Ric did, in some cases more. Dude is so approachable with the fans.

Sooo, I went to the LCS in Lafayette today and they had some brand new posters and flyers up for Louisiana CC. Mick Foley was on there, but there's another name that it looks like they haven't posted on Facebook yet. It's George Newbern, the voice of Superman who replaced Tim Daly years ago. Finally, I'll get a Superman autograph!

Sooo, I went to the LCS in Lafayette today and they had some brand new posters and flyers up for Louisiana CC. Mick Foley was on there, but there's another name that it looks like they haven't posted on Facebook yet. It's George Newbern, the voice of Superman who replaced Tim Daly years ago. Finally, I'll get a Superman autograph!

Who? :biglol:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom