Comic Con Talk (Renamed since LA Comic Con can't get it together) (2 Viewers)

Big choice I'm going to have to make is doing Geek'd Con in Shreveport or LA Comic Con in Lafayette. They're both in August this year, and I'll probably only be able to swing one. LA Comic Con hasn't really announced a killer guest for me, while Geek'd has Alice Cooper, which is a big one.

Would really like to go to MS Comic Con at the end of the month to see Billy Dee Williams, but I'm about to take a big trip next week so money may be tight.

Going to be a weird year with folks considering which cons they'll be attending. So many of them are all bunched up together since the country's reopening.

I'm not there on Geek'd con yet. Not enough guests from the comic world yet.

Last edited:
Whoa. Thought Mississippi Comic Con had it going on with Billy Dee. Arkansas Comic Con (also AVC) has Sting and Bruce Campbell. In my opinion, Louisiana has the weakest show of the three.

Last edited:
Whoa. Thought Mississippi Comic Con had it going on with Billy Dee. Arkansas Comic Con (also AVC) has Sting and Bruce Campbell. In my opinion, Louisiana has the weakest show of the three.

Yeah, I'm hoping they make a big announcement before August. As of now we've got the weakest guest list by far.

This Louisiana show compared to the one that got cancelled because of the rona is night and day. That one was supposed to have Kevin Conroy and George Newburn. I was gonna get to meet the voices for Batman and Superman at the same show! But noooooo, stupid rona had to come along and mess that all up. They have not been able to rebound from that with this show. It might take them another couple of years to get back to that level.

Never understood why Louisiana is one of the best festival cities in the country by far and we can't lure a comic con that rivals San Diego or New York. It is something that always bothered me. We can have huge events like Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest, etc.

Never understood why Louisiana is one of the best festival cities in the country by far and we can't lure a comic con that rivals San Diego or New York. It is something that always bothered me. We can have huge events like Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest, etc.
I know people aren't in love with Wizard World, but their New Orleans cons in 2014-2016 were fantastic events. 2016 was especially flush with most of the cast of Captain America: Civil War, the Russo Brothers, most of The Walking Dead, a contingent from Doctor Who (though two backed out days before the event), etc.

WW 2017 in N.O. (January 2017) had booked Carrie Fisher -- everyone in here knows what happened. The con went forward centered around a large Arrowverse crew and the two Chewbaccas (Mayhew and Suotomo) and was still fun.

In 2018, Wizard World brought Stan Lee to New Orleans in one of his last con appearances. That event was also well worth attending, but the guest list was noticeably thinner after Lee.

The originally scheduled Big Easy Con (June 2019) had Zach Levi fresh off of Shazam, Robert Englund, and many other nice guests. That con was the new kid on the block as far as cons go locally, and (apparently) had trouble selling advance tickets. That led them to reschedule a trimmed-down con in November 2019 with most of the June guests bailing. Big Easy Con went forward with the November date, but the disappointing aftermath is detailed earlier in this thread.

ISTM the potential to attract guests and events should still be here in New Orleans ... but one problem might simply be disposable cash among the locals that like to attend cons. New Orleans is also kind of a "walkup" city for events -- culturally, people around here kind of like to lay back and see if they want to do a given event at the last minute. That's probably pretty stressful for a con organizer.

I wonder if there is a way for a con to offer a cheaper "in the door" price on tickets, but find a way to make it up somewhere else? Maybe make entry dirt cheap (especially to the merch floor), but sell tickets (wristbands, something) that allow entry to panels, side events, etc.

Last edited:
I know people aren't in love with Wizard World, but their New Orleans cons in 2014-2016 were fantastic events. 2016 was especially flush with most of the cast of Captain America: Civil War, the Russo Brothers, most of The Walking Dead, a contingent from Doctor Who (though two backed out days before the event), etc.

WW 2017 in N.O. (January 2017) had booked Carrie Fisher -- everyone in here knows what happened. The con went forward centered around a large Arrowverse crew and the two Chewbaccas (Mayhew and Suotomo) and was still fun.

In 2018, Wizard World brought Stan Lee to New Orleans in one of his last con appearances. That event was also well worth attending, but the guest list was noticeably thinner after Lee.

The originally scheduled Big Easy Con (June 2018) had Zach Levi fresh off of Shazam, Robert Englund, and many other nice guests. That con was the new kid on the block as far as cons go locally, and (apparently) had trouble selling advance tickets. That led them to reschedule a trimmed-down con in November 2018 with most of the June guests bailing. Big Easy Con went forward with the November date, but the disappointing aftermath is detailed earlier in this thread.

ISTM the potential to attract guests and events should still be here in New Orleans ... but one problem might simply be disposable cash among the locals that like to attend cons. New Orleans is also kind of a "walkup" city for events -- culturally, people around here kind of like to lay back and see if they want to do a given event at the last minute. That's probably pretty stressful for a con organizer.

I wonder if there is a way for a con to offer a cheaper "in the door" price on tickets, but find a way to make it up somewhere else? Maybe make entry dirt cheap (especially to the merch floor), but sell tickets (wristbands, something) that allow entry to panels, side events, etc.
Yeah. Guy at the LCS I used to buy from was one of the contacts for Big Easy Con. He damned near begged them to not to change the June date because we're more of a walk-up crowd. They didn't listen and we got the results we did. It also didn't help where it was located surrounded by construction.

Last edited:
So MechaCon just announced that next year will be their final convention. They basically said that the changing con landscape (when they started in 04 there was almost nothing Con wise in La and now there are many successful options) and other factors led to them making this decision.

To my surprise: MechaCon actually shut down their 2020 con for COVID and even though 2020 was meant to be their last convention, they rescheduled it for late July 2021 anyway (7/23-25). Would've been easy just to not come back. Good on the organizers.

Wizard World is apparently scheduled to return their live con to New Orleans in January 2022. Very strange that the WW con in Chicago is in 10 weeks, but people can't click on the link to see guests, panels, etc.

Wizard World is apparently scheduled to return their live con to New Orleans in January 2022. Very strange that the WW con in Chicago is in 10 weeks, but people can't click on the link to see guests, panels, etc.

A lot of cons are that way. Megacon in Orlando and FanExpo just started posting their lineup. Yet their Dallas con doesn't have anything. NYCC doesn't and neither has whatever SDCC plans on doing in November.

Ironically, PensaCon already has a slew of folks lined up for their event in February. It's really hot or miss right now.

And I still hate the idea of a con right after the holidays.

Didn't realize that Showcase, an LCS in Slidell is having their convention this weekend at the Harbor Center. $15 to get. Decent crop of guests this week for a local show, including Matt Cardona aka Zack Ryder. Good get by them and I was planning on heading to Jackson Saturday morning for Mississippi Con.

200731863_808399803127564_2909018678538778881_n.jpg

So I went to Jackson this weekend. They had lines out of this world. Ended spending about $400 on books (don't judge me). The crowd was good though on Saturday. Got in too late to see Sting.

The one thing I don't miss... Con funk.
🤢🤢🤢

So I went to Jackson this weekend. They had lines out of this world. Ended spending about $400 on books (don't judge me). The crowd was good though on Saturday. Got in too late to see Sting.

The one thing I don't miss... Con funk.
🤢🤢🤢

I saw some people saying that they had to wait an hour to even get in the building and then were told it would be another one to two hours before they could get into the main hall after that. AVC said it was their first time running this building and they were working on expediting it, but I guess demand was that high. I've been to a lot of AVC cons (including MS, but at the old building) and never had to wait like that.

As to Con Funk, I'm always thankful that Man Made Soap out of Shreveport does most regional cons because their booth always smells really nice and provides an oasis from the foul and unwashed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom