Comic Con Talk (Renamed since LA Comic Con can't get it together) (4 Viewers)

Yep, that definitely does suck. Just imagine how many people are going to wear their mask to get through the door and then take it off once they're inside. And you know that the convention center is a big place, but you also know how many people are in there. It's jam packed at times. I hate to miss and wouldn't have thought twice about it if the numbers were still low, but now? Not gonna happen. Honestly, I'd be shocked if they didn't try to postpone it again.
Don't see that happening. It would be a nightmare trying to reschedule this close.

Don't see that happening. It would be a nightmare trying to reschedule this close.
The beauty of this thread is that it's a nice time capsule. Go back to page 33 from the end of February 2020. That was about two weeks before the March LaCC. They didn't cancel it until right at the last minute, a couple days before the show.

This is similar to last time, though, except FAR more cases.

If only there was a way to require vaccinations to attend, and a way to prove that you were vaccinated so people would feel comfortable going. Some sort of passport if you will.... sigh

If you had a convention where 100% were vaccinated with a mask mandate in place, then it would not be that high risk... Blerdcon this year in DC did this. You were required to show proof of vaccination and everyone had to wear a mask. No one complained. It went great. Felt relatively safe going with my kids. Awesome Con is not requiring vaccination (only masks and temperature checks). That's not good enough for me.

If only there was a way to require vaccinations to attend, and a way to prove that you were vaccinated so people would feel comfortable going. Some sort of passport if you will.... sigh

If you had a convention where 100% were vaccinated with a mask mandate in place, then it would not be that high risk... Blerdcon this year in DC did this. You were required to show proof of vaccination and everyone had to wear a mask. No one complained. It went great. Felt relatively safe going with my kids. Awesome Con is not requiring vaccination (only masks and temperature checks). That's not good enough for me.
Louisiana has the ability to do so. Problem is, that would mean very few would be able to attend.

Louisiana has the ability to do so. Problem is, that would mean very few would be able to attend.
No doubt about that. I just saw the Geek'd Con in Shreveport next weekend is not having panels or cos play contest due to Covid mitigation.

No doubt about that. I just saw the Geek'd Con in Shreveport next weekend is not having panels or cos play contest due to Covid mitigation.

Little surpised at "no panels". Seems that would be one of the more feasible activities -- just have everyone in masks and space out the seating in the rooms, plus keep the speakers distanced from each other.

Unless the Geek'd Con panel spaces are larger than I'm imagining.

For whatever reason Geekd Con was talking about experimenting with a no panel format even before covid hit. Greg Atoms, the guy who heads it up, never adequately explained why he thought this was a good idea from what I remember. But it was in the hopper even before the pandemic.

Fan Expo is taking over Wizard World's shows, including Wizard World New Orleans. Could make that con relevant again as WW had been dying on the vine for a while.

Fan Expo is taking over Wizard World's shows, including Wizard World New Orleans. Could make that con relevant again as WW had been dying on the vine for a while.
HOLY sheet!!! YES!!! My dreams have come true. I have been asking them for this since I've attended my first show of theirs. They took over Boston Comic-Con and it immediately became a money-maker. Believe me folks, FanExpo WILL NOT be like Big Easy Con.

This is GREAT news.

Since we were on Wizard World's mailing list, we got an email about this yesterday.

I've been in wait-and-see mode with January 2022's New Orleans WW Con. I'm glad to see Grandadmiral's positive post about the prospects of Fan Expo, though.

They run MegaCon in Orlando. Even with the cancellations, look at this impressive list of comic creators scheduled...

Dallas:

Boston:

Good times, fellas. They're a coming.

Looks like Geekd Con in Shreveport is rolling on full speed ahead this weekend. Middle of the worst wave yet and all those people packed in there. No thank you.

Looks like Geekd Con in Shreveport is rolling on full speed ahead this weekend. Middle of the worst wave yet and all those people packed in there. No thank you.

Yeah, friend of mine is doing a booth and was trying to get me to go but there's no way. Not right now.

I went to Geek'd Con earlier. Even though it's been an annual thing (2020 obviously excluded) since like 2016, it always seemed like the previous years fell on a weekend where I was out of town or just otherwise occupied.

It was cool seeing the various cosplay outfits and the celebrities, although I really dont have much interest in the whole paying for autographs/pictures thing. Alice Cooper definitely had the longest line and there wasn't really a close second.

I went to Geek'd Con earlier. Even though it's been an annual thing (2020 obviously excluded) since like 2016, it always seemed like the previous years fell on a weekend where I was out of town or just otherwise occupied.

It was cool seeing the various cosplay outfits and the celebrities, although I really dont have much interest in the whole paying for autographs/pictures thing. Alice Cooper definitely had the longest line and there wasn't really a close second.
How was the crowd? Masking, social distancing?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom